Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew RichardsMountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:55:18 pm

Posted over on the OS X forum for topic's sake, but since all the action is here, dig this.

This is a very different Apple PR move.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:09:54 pm

Now let's have a briefing and a roadmap for FCPX!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:21:22 pm

[Steve Connor] "Now let's have a briefing and a roadmap for FCPX!"

I'm sure Larry Jordan is still on the guest list for previews, if they are giving any.

A significant thing here to me is a new pattern for Apple and its product announcements. No longer will we learn about OS X or FCP or the Mac from blockbuster press events, but from these more grass-roots types of things.

Another significant thing here is the renewed vigor in the OS X development path. It is reasonable to think Apple got caught a little off guard with the rapid success of iOS and it took them a few years to fill out their engineering to support that whole massive column of their business so that it wasn't cannibalizing OS X. Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion all had to wait a bit longer than previous OS X releases to see the light of day, and it was due to engineering focus on iOS. If Apple is committing to an annual rev on OS X, even if they are more evolutionary revs, this is a stake in the ground that augurs well.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:24:19 pm

Apple has Mountain Lion up on their site now.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:38:28 pm

Man. No rest for the wicked. I am just blazing my Lion tracks, and now it appears we will have to climb mountains!

I did like this piece of insight:

"Mountain Lion is not a step towards a single OS that powers both the Mac and iPad, but rather another in a series of steps toward defining a set of shared concepts, styles, and principles between two fundamentally distinct OSes."

An FCPX development roadmap would be so nice.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:52:46 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "An FCPX development roadmap would be so nice."

Methinks OSes are the only previews the world gets. For previews of FCPX, become a leading hardware partner or plugin developer. I wouldn't be shocked to see more feature previews for FCPX like we had for 10.0.1 and 10.0.3, but I would be a lot less surprised not to see them ever again.

There are a lot of hints about what could become features of FCPX in the preview of Mountain Lion. AirPlay mirroring (which many of us saw coming anyway) and iCloud document storage (which seems impractical, but who knows) spring to mind.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:55:44 pm

[Andrew Richards] "For previews of FCPX, become a leading hardware partner or plugin developer. "

How about a user that might like the direction it's going in? :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:33:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "How about a user that might like the direction it's going in? :)"

You'll have to wait like everyone else. Including the users of almost every other product out there. OSes need to reveal their futures since they are platforms, but apps and machines only hurt their vendors when they are teased to openly. With a few notable exceptions, it is pretty uncommon for the general public to get exposed to product development ahead of when the vendor wants to reveal it. This is true for many more industries than tech. There are a lot of things that can happen when you let the cat out of the bag early, and most of them are bad.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:41:44 pm

[Andrew Richards] "With a few notable exceptions, it is pretty uncommon for the general public to get exposed to product development ahead of when the vendor wants to reveal it. "

Come on, man. I've been around long enough to know these things! :0)

Even a target date of next release was nice. I was getting used to that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:43:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Even a target date of next release was nice. I was getting used to that."

It would be nice to have the odd "tease" like Adobe do at least

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:18:47 pm

[Steve Connor] "It would be nice to have the odd "tease" like Adobe do at least"

Well, yes. When it's a company like Adobe that actually ships what they promise around when they promise it.

For every company like them that has a very good track record of actually getting useful software out the door, there's a trail of broken dreams in the wake of many companies who over promise and under deliver.

In fact, that was the primary initial hit on X. Here we are six months later, and only just now is the tide starting to turn toward a view that FCP-X is actually a pretty interesting product on a fast track - rather than just a mess. Yet 90% of the stuff in the program is exactly the same as it was the day it was released.

The timeline is the same. The event browser is the same. Magnitism is the same. Import, key wording, Motion integration via the titler, etc. etc. etc are all the same.

But now that we have multi-cam, the clear promise of increasing hooks to XML and people actually are starting to understand how it functions in actual editing situations, it's now "worth a look" where it was once "the toy that will destroy all pro editing as we know it."

The program itself really hasn't changed all the much. It operates exactly like X has from day one.

I did another FCP-X "get to know the interface" for my local editing group last night in my studio. Instead of a handful of guys, the studio was packed.

The perception of X is starting to change out there. Big time. Perhaps not in the rarified air of the large shops - but at the grassroots level, things are changing a LOT. Just something to be aware of.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:22:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "Well, yes. When it's a company like Adobe that actually ships what they promise around when they promise it.
"

Which is exactly what Apple did with Multicam and external monitoring

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:06:51 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/apple-officially-drops-mac-name-from-os...

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:10:27 pm

[Andrew Richards] "If Apple is committing to an annual rev on OS X, even if they are more evolutionary revs, this is a stake in the ground that augurs well."
New bugs, new incompatibilities, new drivers every year.
Is it really necessary a new system every year?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Andrew RichardsRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:47:08 pm

It might be a bit more work for third parties to stay current, but the alternative is what happened with Windows XP where hardly anything changed for almost a decade. My observation is Apple has turned a corner with their Core frameworks where they have shed much of their legacy tech and can move forward additively rather than desruptively. So much of the guts in Lion is brand new or still very young code compared to stuff like QuickTime which dates back decades. That is not to say there won't be version dependency issues, but the bad old days of brittle dependencies on stuff like QuickTime are behind us. They still have legacy left to shake off (HFS+ is as old as the Mac itself!), andI'm just glad to see a commitment to the desktop that matches the effort they are putting into iOS.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gav BottRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:09:33 am

"It might be a bit more work for third parties to stay current"

This is where the fear kicks in for me - annual OS changes that effect thrid party aps, but that they can't realistically charge for - as it's only "making it actually work".

This is a weakness in the model of building the foundation ap, creating the space for the 3rd parties to make it sing - how do they survive and keep your vital aps up to date unless they can get an income stream in?

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:36:54 pm

[Gav Bott] "This is where the fear kicks in for me - annual OS changes that effect thrid party aps, but that they can't realistically charge for - as it's only "making it actually work".

This is a weakness in the model of building the foundation ap, creating the space for the 3rd parties to make it sing - how do they survive and keep your vital aps up to date unless they can get an income stream in?"

I think the disruptiveness of major OS revs is being overstated. How often do you have your apps break when you update OS X? Unless they are older apps that depend on deprecated APIs, they almost always continue to work. Can it happen? Sure, but it isn't like we have transitions to 64-bit or a new CPU architecture ahead of us now. That is all over with.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:47:30 pm

They are dropping "Mac" from the OS X name because the OS will be licensed to run on computers other than Macs. This will be different than before, as last time they licensed the OS to cheap clones which bled Apple's bottom line. This time they will license to select pro workstations...which they will stop making themselves, as they are not profitable enough for them. It's really a no brainer. Steve Jobs would never allow it, but Tim Cook is much less dogmatic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:40:37 pm

[John Pale] "They are dropping "Mac" from the OS X name because the OS will be licensed to run on computers other than Macs. This will be different than before, as last time they licensed the OS to cheap clones which bled Apple's bottom line. This time they will license to select pro workstations...which they will stop making themselves, as they are not profitable enough for them. It's really a no brainer. Steve Jobs would never allow it, but Tim Cook is much less dogmatic."

Interesting idea, but do you think that will really happen?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:34:53 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Interesting idea, but do you think that will really happen?"

I do. I read last year several PC manufacturers expressed interest in licensing OSX but were rebuffed by Jobs. If Cook thinks he can make money, keep people using an Apple product, without having to build less profitable hardware, he might just go for it. I think they would only license it to a few high end workstations.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 6:32:29 pm

[John Pale] "I do. I read last year several PC manufacturers expressed interest in licensing OSX but were rebuffed by Jobs. If Cook thinks he can make money, keep people using an Apple product, without having to build less profitable hardware, he might just go for it. I think they would only license it to a few high end workstations."

it sounds utopic. It would be very nice, time will tell, I guess.

I have a hard time seeing them giving up that much control.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Mountain Lion not Mac OSX anymore!
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 1:53:34 am

[John Pale] "Steve Jobs would never allow it, but Tim Cook is much less dogmatic."

there's a real point to that. I'm near driven to reference the next doctor - said the Tardis man.
Apple is irrevocably Apple at this point, but it is a new incarnation at the helm.

One way or another we will see change. I nearly buy tight OSX licensing to solve workstations.

We're a universe away from Umax/power computing?
Given that this is now the largest corporation on earth after all.

One single share equates to a retail iPad for God's sake.

A microsoft share couldn't get you drunk.

Forgetting FCPX for a moment - let's machead system 7.0 drink it in - I mean it: take that, you sweaty screaming Ballmer.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arya BoustaniRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:31:34 am

Messengers are the product of the need and the momentum of believing in a concept by the critical mass, almost regardless of the capability of the messenger. Apple is trying to stick to the themes of popularity and I don't think they quite know which ingredients are destructive in their path to future. They are just counting on the momentum.
I think the reason studios bought Mac 15 years ago was because they found it was not trying to change now and then to suite the peak of the popularity and profit making so they could rely on it as a solid ground to grow their proficiency by sticking to a work process. I rather fabricate that solid ground by sticking to the older OS and older Pro Apps. I think it is a dangerous path to mix up my day to day personal computer fun features with deadline driven audiovisual deliverables. I look to it as a hardware mixer. It doesn't change with time and I know exactly what it's doing so I can rely on it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad DavisRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:11:09 pm

Get ready for the Mac Pro refresh...

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/02/mountain-lion-will-not-support-older-graphi...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marvin HoldmanRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:42:23 pm

"And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. "

Anyone else who's been doing this a while notice that it's becoming more and more difficult to manage keeping a facilities systems updated as these cycles continue to come with greater and greater frequency? I'm not sure whether it's by design, or default, but it seems that software purchases are coming at more frequent rates these days. The discussion with our IT department these days is about trying to decide whether it's better to only upgrade when new features are absolutely needed, or to try and keep up with them as they come. On one hand, you can save short term funds by skipping upgrades and take a hit bringing a legacy system up to date, or you can take the incremental hits and pains of simply staying current as you go.

Did this statement spark any particular conversation in your world?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T.a. FranksRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:55:03 pm

And with this is the end of the Mac coming?

What do you guys think?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:58:31 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Did this statement spark any particular conversation in your world?"

I only upgrade when needed.

I finally setup two test drives with Lion after the Kona drivers required it for FCPX.

I will say, the upgrade to Lion was really easy. Just because the update is available doesn't mean you have to install it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marvin HoldmanRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31:47 pm

"I will say, the upgrade to Lion was really easy. Just because the update is available doesn't mean you have to install it." - Jeremy Garchow

Totally agree that OS updates have never been easier. Principally agree that you don't have to install it. That being said, it seems like every upgrade we've taken recently has mucked up something. Usually, it's more an annoyance than a crisis, but it still takes time. While we don't upgrade immediately after a release, and usually take an incremental approach (test it on one machine and figure out the issues before full scale implementation). Lately we've been trying to keep our OS current.

My concern is holding off through multiple incremental upgrades until we have too do one (for whatever reason). How many annoyances are going to crop up when we skip, say 3 or 4 incremental upgrades? How are you going to troubleshoot when that happens? Which version would you go back too?

I certainly understand the benefits of more frequent release cycles, just trying to come up with a sound approach for coping. Continue incremental upgrades or only upgrade when absolutely necessary? The approach up to now has always been, upgrade only when necessary. Just questioning that approach as the industry seems to be changing.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:04:47 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "My concern is holding off through multiple incremental upgrades until we have too do one (for whatever reason). How many annoyances are going to crop up when we skip, say 3 or 4 incremental upgrades?"

I went from 10.6.7 to 10.7.3 on one computer. I didn't really skip a beat. Sure, I had to update some drivers and such, but that's OK and took a few minutes.

[Marvin Holdman] "Continue incremental upgrades or only upgrade when absolutely necessary? "

I think part of this will be driven by developers and how fast they can keep up.

Digital Rebellion just made an announcement that will gradually phase out support for 10.5/PPC moving forward, and are looking forward to the new updates in 10.8. It's always good to hear positive things from developers, in my opinion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/planned_deprecation_of_os_x_10.5...

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:52:33 pm

At my last facility we bought maintenance for OS X and FCP, so we were essentially pre-buying the updates. In recent years, that program has been obsoleted by the App Store sales model and the much lower prices of major versions (at least with Apple stuff). For Adobe it used to be less compelling to buy every upgrade, but now Adobe is changing its pricing model as well to encourage customers to stay current (subscription pricing and higher upgrade prices for versions older than the most recent major rev).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew MulaRe: Mountain Lion
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:44:06 am

Hey,
Does anyone know if this successfully applies to FCS 2 running FCP 6.0.6 as well?
Thanks
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GarberRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:08:30 am

So how long until we see FCPX using Airplay to an AppleTV instead of using an AJA, BM or Matrox alternative?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:58:58 pm

I agree on not updating is is not necessary or if there is not a substantial benefit in performance or functions.
In the other hand what I do not like is the more and more dependence on Internet, the App Store and now The Cloud.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:33:19 pm

[Michael Garber] "So how long until we see FCPX using Airplay to an AppleTV instead of using an AJA, BM or Matrox alternative?"

I think you'll see that as a monitoring option with the first FCPX update after Mountain Lion comes out. It won't be a replacement for AJA, BMD, or Matrox I/O, but it would be pretty slick for client screenings. Carry a little AppleTV along with your MacBook and have a wireless HD screening system. I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated AppleTV this year with an A5 chip and 1080p support either.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Philip WhiteRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:19:48 pm

I'd just like to make this known - I'm currently playing with the ML development preview, all signs point to Final Cut Studio (7) working under the new OS so far...

Here's my confirmation -

Notice that the Pro Apps updates direct me to the app store - the codecs and such seem to download through it now instead of the regular old 'system update' window.

I realise this is predominantly a FCPX forum, however I thought it would ease the minds of any potential early adopters - so far at least, you'll be able to keep FCS around for old client projects.

Hope this helps in some way!

I do plan to see how FCPX will perform on 10.8 - I'm sure it'll do fine however.

http://vimeo.com/philipwhite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David LawrenceRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 7:16:52 pm

[Philip White] "Hope this helps in some way!"

It does, thanks for sharing!

Question - since Mountain Lion replaces iChat with Messages, does iChat Theater Preview still work or is it grayed out now?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 18, 2012 at 9:15:22 pm

Hi David,

I have a few more images to share -

iChat Theater Preview is still able to be pressed - it does indeed launch the Messages app by default.
I don't have much experience with Theater Preview, but initial launch of the Messages app (as directed by FCP) gives me a 'Funk' sound effect.

This could just be due to the fact I have no contacts to share with however.

I've also noticed something very interesting - under the File menu, there appears to be a few things missing, namely Edit To Tape, Reconnect Media, Media Manager, Log & Capture, Log & Transfer etc.

You can right-click and have access to Reconnect Media / Media Manager in both the timeline and browser however, and keyboard shortcuts for things like Log & Capture still work as previously.

Could this be a somewhat sly move on Apple's part of effectively trying to force people into a tapeless workflow by omitting these items from the File menu?

Or could it be bugs / glitches to do with Mountain Lion's first Dev Preview?

Another interesting point to note is that FCPX actually freezes and ends up 'Not Responding' when I try to create a new Project - this is likely to be due to the bugginess of a first dev preview, but still somewhat unnerving....especially considering FCP7 seems to test better under 10.8 than FCPX does!

I've made FCP7 render and export timelines, reconnect media, move media with the media manager and launch tape controls - all of which still work for the time being.

If there's anything you'd like me to test, whether by screen recording or otherwise, please let me know

Cheers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Jon ChappellRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:24:01 pm

[Philip White] "
Could this be a somewhat sly move on Apple's part of effectively trying to force people into a tapeless workflow by omitting these items from the File menu?

Or could it be bugs / glitches to do with Mountain Lion's first Dev Preview?"

It looks like a bug because the contents of the Send To submenu have for some reason overwritten the menu items at the bottom of the File menu. If you click one of these does it launch those functions as normal?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:10:14 pm

You're right Jon, clicking on one of the 'spilled' items in the File menu does prompt you to take your footage to the respective application you selected!

I'm under the impression it is just a bug, perhaps I'm just reading too much into it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon ChappellRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:50:20 pm

I don't think Apple would add code in the OS to disable certain functions on an EOL application. There's no reason for this.

It might be worth filing a bug report here along with your screenshots:
http://bugreport.apple.com

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:42:45 am

[Philip White] "I have a few more images to share -

iChat Theater Preview is still able to be pressed - it does indeed launch the Messages app by default.
I don't have much experience with Theater Preview, but initial launch of the Messages app (as directed by FCP) gives me a 'Funk' sound effect.

This could just be due to the fact I have no contacts to share with however."

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for these screen shots and for doing the iChat test. Normally, if you don't have iChat open and you select iChat Theater Preview from the menu, you'll get a dialog asking you to start iChat first and try again. I suspect the reason you're getting the 'Funk' sound is because FCP can't find the iChat application since it's gone in Mountain Lion. I'm not surprised it doesn't work and expect there will be other little things like this that crop up in the final release. Guess we'll all find out soon enough!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Claude LyneisRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:18:56 pm

How about making FCP7 and FCPX distinct enough so they can easily be loaded on a Mac. I made the mistake of loading FCPX on my new iMac before trying to load FCP7. FCP7 would start then just disappear. Then I learned it had to be loaded on Lion first. I have learned to "love" FCPX but still need FCP7. Since X is not really an upgrade, why can't they be independent?

For me it is way to early to worry about Mountain Lion. FCPX and Lion are just now becoming solid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 5:57:59 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "How about making FCP7 and FCPX distinct enough so they can easily be loaded on a Mac."

For all future readers, this is a good resource: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Bryan EdwardsRe: Mountain Lion
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:17:28 am

Thanks so much for this! I just bought a 12 core beast and upgraded to Lion and FCPX and my head is spinning. I definitely want to go back and install FCP7 on this new comp. i don;t get FCPX at all and I'm so slow on it with the edits I've tried. Good to know I'm not dead in the water with the pile of projects I have to cut for broadcast. Thanks again for the info/testing!

--B

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnaud DavidianRe: Mountain Lion
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:12:57 pm

Hi, thank you for these screenshots and comments.
I hope it will still be ok with FCP7 and Mountain Lion (and also that this weird capture menu issue will be solved)

How is it going now, now that ML is going to come out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:05:37 am

Hi - apologies for not responding sooner...

As of the build prior to the GM that I believe released yesterday (???) FCP7 and the various menu spillages / bugs that I had shown in the first build have been corrected.

FCP7 works as it would under Lion which I'm currently using right now.

I see no reason why 6 wouldn't work under Mountain Lion - Does 6 work for you under Lion / are you able to create a dummy HDD to test that on?

From what I can see at least the jump from Lion - ML is negligible compared to that of SL - Lion

Regards,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]