Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

10.03 released

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Steve Connor10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:02:51 pm

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

Wow!

Not on the UK App store yet though

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

peter dunphyRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:04:37 pm

Please please please be good!!!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57368640-248/final-cut-pro-x-update-bring...

Peter Dunphy

2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4870, ATTO ExpressSAS R380, Sonnet D800 Raid 5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:06:22 pm

As of now it hasn't his the US East Coast yet either. Eager to kick the tires.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:24:15 pm

I think there are a few people on here who need to rethink their 'Apple doesn't care about the pro market' mantras.

Legacy - solved (via a $9.99 app)
Multicam - solved (and IMPROVED ON - the multiple takes thing is mind-blowing)
Relinking - solved

The enthusiastic adoption of X by plug-in makers shows the advantages for pros when software gets cheaper and more inclusive. Personally, I don't want to pay $1699 for certain Avid filter sets.

They may have handled the retirement of FCP7 all wrong, but I see nothing but good news for pros in this update - and nothing for the Youtube crowd.

I think it's time we put a lot of this nonsense to bed, and just allow people to decide which platform they want to edit with, or need to use with their clients and facilities.

This debate should no longer be framed as it has been for nine hysterical months - and make no mistake about it, Apple bears the blame for that as much as users.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Marvin HoldmanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:46:40 pm

So... you've already downloaded it and are speaking from personal experience? Please, let's be realistic about this. Let's hear from folks using it.

From the reviews, it appears that Apple might be stepping up, but we need to actually download and use it before proclaiming it's glory. That being said, I hope it's everything we've been asking for.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:55:05 pm

I can now see an update to Motion and Compressor on the store but not FCPX yet........

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:03:28 pm

All here and downloading in north east USA. Interesting though is that it's .0.3 and not 10.1. I'd interpret that that Apple still has major things instore in the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:10:44 pm

[Craig Seeman] "All here and downloading in north east USA. Interesting though is that it's .0.3 and not 10.1. I'd interpret that that Apple still has major things instore in the future."

Finally arrived in the UK too, going to be a busy day on this forum I think.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hector berrebiRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:15:28 pm

the amount of bits that would be saved online had this been version 1...

maybe time for apple to re-think their beta-testing policy.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:44:55 pm

[Hector berrebi] "the amount of bits that would be saved online had this been version 1... maybe time for apple to re-think their beta-testing policy."

So true. If this had been 10.0.0, I wonder if this forum would exist?

Even I'm excited about this update -- though I hear Jeremy isn't [link]. ;)

My compliments to the ProApps team for developing and shipping these features.

I'm downloading the update now. I'm looking forward to seeing how 10.0.3 addresses my previous criticisms of FCPX, and if FCPX can fit better in my workflow than it did last June and last September.

Unfortunately for Apple, even if the update is perfect, it won't immediately reverse the damage they caused themselves seven months ago. I'm keeping my Macs, but I just accepted delivery on my order for four new HP desktops for rendering this morning. If I had made that order a year ago, they would have been Mac Pros. I may be a small fish, but there have been a lot of us small fish thinking along these lines for the better part of a year now.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John GodwinRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:57:22 pm

I always come back to the thought that if Apple could have released FCPX with all these features they would have. If writing software was that easy anyone could do it, right? So it took them until now to get it, hopefully, right.

As soon as I can get it downloaded and installed I have a multicam edit I just started that I can't wait to try out with the new version ....

Best,
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:11:19 pm

I do think this all points back to what the "real" problem was/is. Apple's marketing.

Had they said from the get go (SuperMeet), "this is what we'll be getting out the door but over the next year we're going to get you XML, SAN, MultiCam, Broadcast Monitoring" it would have helped. Instead of saying or implying FCP7 to FCPX was impossible, the could have said, "Once the new XML is done, it would be possible with third party development" (and then they could actually talk to the possible third party developers). Just a bit more road map reveal and allowing FCS longer EOL availability to hold people over, would have been a different ballgame.

The grumbles would still be there (who wants to wait through a year or longer gestation period) but knowing that these things would be addressed would have gone a long way to ease the transition.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:10:46 pm

I have downloaded it and used it. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marvin HoldmanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:22:45 pm

Fair enough. Glad you like it.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Franz BieberkopfRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:09:15 pm

[Ben Holmes] "I have downloaded it and used it. Sorry if that wasn't clear."

Ben,

In that case, I want to hear about your FCP 7 to FCP X experiences. Were you doing large projects with a lot of media and many sequences? I'm interested to know the capabilities.

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Justin SchultzRe: 10.03 released
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:28:02 am

Here here Ben. My issue with the discussion has never been a matter of content, but tone.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gerrit Van DykeRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:14:44 pm

After this, what would everyone say is still missing from FCPX?

Is there EDL/OMF export now?

I believe you still can't export a proper XML from FCP X that can be opened in FCP 7, Avid or Premiere right? That seems to be one of the big ones. As someone who doesn't use FCP X, I'm still concerned about working with outside suppliers for colour grading, online and audio.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris KennyRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:03:00 pm

[Gerrit Van Dyke] "I believe you still can't export a proper XML from FCP X that can be opened in FCP 7, Avid or Premiere right? That seems to be one of the big ones. As someone who doesn't use FCP X, I'm still concerned about working with outside suppliers for colour grading, online and audio."

There's technically nothing "proper" about FCP 7's XML format -- it's not like it's an officially ratified industry interchange standard. It's just something Apple created and documented and third parties supported. Third parties seem to be stepping up to support FCP X's new XML format as well, though it will clearly take a while for such support to reach the same level. But as someone who regularly writes internal workflow tools that work with FCP 7 XML files, I have to say FCP X's new XML format looks a lot cleaner, which will hopefully encourage more tools to be written.

Interestingly, FCP X 10.0.3 can embed industry-standard CDL data in its XML files now. Resolve can use this to carry over primary color grades, and other grading apps that understand CDL could probably add support for this fairly easily as well.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HerdRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:04:28 pm

That rules!

[Chris Kenny] "embed industry-standard CDL data in its XML files"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:31:30 pm

[Gerrit Van Dyke] "I believe you still can't export a proper XML from FCP X that can be opened in FCP 7, Avid or Premiere right? That seems to be one of the big ones. As someone who doesn't use FCP X, I'm still concerned about working with outside suppliers for colour grading, online and audio."

Not from X itself, but there are now tools for going either direction.

Xto7, $50 in the Mac App Store

7toX, $10 in the Mac App Store

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:22:25 pm

Looking forward to what you guys have to say about it!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas FrankRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:37:29 pm

So now Multi cam is in, layered PSD support, XML1.1 and Broadcast Monitoring is in.
Wonder what everybody will be botching about? ;)
Layered PSD is the big one in my eyes!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mitch IvesRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:14:41 pm

[Thomas Frank] "So now Multi cam is in, layered PSD support, XML1.1 and Broadcast Monitoring is in.
Wonder what everybody will be botching about? ;)
Layered PSD is the big one in my eyes!"

The broadcast monitoring is beta, so let's not get carried away until we see it? Also, can we keyframe color correction now? If not, that's still on the list...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:43:42 pm

Looks like a very nice update. With the ability to finally get projects out of FCPX, I'm more willing to give it the good 'ole college try.

Now, if Apple will refresh the Mac Pro in an impressive fashion, I think that will be a good statement towards their commitment towards the professional market. They need to at least make an announcement before the end of NAB for it to be useful, though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:47:05 pm

Timeline zoom bug appears to be fixed!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:56:33 pm

[Steve Connor] "Timeline zoom bug appears to be fixed!"

Still no keyframes in CC!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:42:24 pm

Export to mp4 files are faster

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mitch IvesRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:17:28 pm

[Steve Connor] "Still no keyframes in CC!"

Ouch... that hurts. Was really hoping for that. Well, there's an awful lot to be happy about, so it's a good day overall. I wish Apple would comment on being able to keyframe C.C.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:55:47 pm

I think what we're seeing today is the "mood swing." There's still a lot missing, a lot that needs to be done. I think though people are feeling just a tad bit secure that the reintroduction of features will happen. It's seeing things like Photoshop layers happening again and re-linking as well, one gets a sense that Apple will be putting things back in even if it takes a bit of time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:00:02 pm

Do layer effects work in the PSD support? I really hope you don't have to do the "merge down boogie" any more when you need to change your drop shadow.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil GoodmanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:03:01 pm

actually looks decent with the multiclip editor, looks easy to add clips at a ;later time etc.. fix rogue sync etc..

my main thing is with the angle veiwer, how come they didnt just give us the viewer window back full time. Still one ofthe main things keeping me from likeing X is the lack of a dedicated viewer window.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Keith LesterRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:41:58 pm

Not seeing the A/V Output screen that Macworld displayed in their article. It talks about beta monitoring being in this version. Any ideas?
Thanks. Running MacPro with AJA Kona LHi.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:43:40 pm

Are you on Lion? Also new drivers will probably be needed from the card manufacturer

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith LesterRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:19:40 pm

ok, see it on my MacBook Pro, with 10.7.2, I will update my tower with Lion. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Warren EigRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:15:24 pm

When they add tracks so you can edit narrative I'll go back. The no tracks is a big no no for me.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/F5_Director_Cut.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Shane RossRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:13:26 pm

[Warren Eig] "The no tracks is a big no no for me."

Me too. As is the lack of a Viewer, and the whole new editing paradigm in general. They changed something that didn't need changing, and the new way makes no sense to me.

Nice that they added these options for those who like it. But I can't see myself using it. Although the new Multicam feature looks sweet, and I am jealous of it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Andy NeilRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:16:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "Nice that they added these options for those who like it. But I can't see myself using it. Although the new Multicam feature looks sweet, and I am jealous of it."

I'm sorry you feel that way Shane. But you're right about the multicam. It's absolutely amazing. There's only one thing it's missing in my opinion, but that's really more of a general note than one specifically related to multicam.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil GoodmanRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:08:16 pm

the other main thing is the connected clips and slip slide behavior.. if that became override able so the connected clip doesn't go along for the ride when slide editing, and a dedicated viewer, id probably give it a more serious look. hopefully in 10.4 ;0

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:28:02 pm

FYI - a copy & paste from the release notes below.
- Oliver

Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.3 adds the following features:

Multicam editing with automatic sync and support for mixed formats, mixed frame rates, and up to 64 camera angles
Advanced chroma keying with controls for color sampling and edge quality
Media relink for manual reconnect of projects and Events to new media
Ability to import and edit layered Photoshop graphics
XML 1.1 with support for primary color grades, effect parameters, and audio keyframes
Multiple improvements to the Color Board, including new key commands, editable numeric fields, and adjustable parameters that act like infinite sliders when dragged
Ability to reorder color corrections in the Inspector
Reveal in Event Browser shows clip range in the filmstrip while in List View
Batch offset for clip date and time
Ability to search text added to Favorite and Reject ranges
Beta version of broadcast monitoring with third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices

Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.3 also improves overall stability and performance, and addresses the following issues:

Improves performance when editing text in titles
Improves performance when applying an effect from the Effect Browser
Improves keyframing behavior in the Inspector, with keyframes automatically added when moving to a new point in time and adjusting a parameter
Modifies transition behavior so that all newly added transitions use available media and maintain project length
Fixes an issue which affected audio solo while skimming
Resolves issues related to using Synchronize Clips with media containing a silent audio channel
Fixes an issue in which constant speed retiming was not properly applied when using the Paste Effects command
This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro X

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cody WaltersRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:35:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "XML 1.1 with support for primary color grades, effect parameters, and audio keyframes"

Does this mean you have the ability to export out an xml and import this into Color for color grading, and then re-importing the finshed xml back into FCPX? In other words, can I use Apple Color for color grading?

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:38:02 pm

Somehow I doubt it. Apple created a new XML for FCPX which means that it probably only works with programs that incorporate that. Since Color is EOL...

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:43:15 pm

Use Resolve Lite. It's free.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:02:02 pm

[Cody Walters] "Does this mean you have the ability to export out an xml and import this into Color for color grading"

FCP 7 and FCP X do not use the same version of XML and they are incompatible with each other. You have to use Assisted Editing's Xto7 for Final Cut Pro to get back to Color. 7toX gets you from FCP 7 to FCP X. DaVinci Resolve will roundtrip between both versions of FCP.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cody WaltersRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:10:04 pm

Thanks. I'll have to try out Resolve Lite then.

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam WhiteRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:28:33 pm

All great stuff no doubt. Hope these updates keep improving the app for those who use it.

I think the lack of a dedicated viewer is still a bummer. Particularly since multicam uses one - why not have an optional permanant viewer for those that want it? Its a bit of a mind block for me not having one. And there are still too many of those mind blocks for me to get on with X.

Those design decisions I always hated are still there, so whatever happens this isn't going to be the App for me. But I think its cool that its getting better for those that like it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Michael GissingRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:32:00 pm

I am beginning to see da Vinci as a lynch pin in getting FCPX projects graded and back into FCP7 for layout to tape. Just have to work out how to get titles over....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: 10.03 released
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:55:08 pm

Also curious if the old Automatic Duck FCPX to OMF software still works with this updated vers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:56:24 pm

I can't see them having a "permanent" viewer (IMHO) but I could see, given what multicam is doing, having a gang function which creates a viewer. I think they're more inclined to have it there when you use a feature that needs it and gets out of the way otherwise. Also right now you get the two up when trimming with the mouse but not when trimming with the keyboard. I'd think that's something that might be added down the road as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:01:24 am

I've done a bit of testing throughout the evening with the various features and, of everything, the Relink feature is HUGE for editing workflow. This finally permits offline-online workflows.

Cut with low-res media files. Dupe the Project and then Relink media to the high-res files. You can have changed the clip name in the Event and when you Relink it asks for the original media file name instead of the changed name. That's great. The only missing feature seems to be that there is no "match exact name", so you have to hunt down the list and find the exact match. Once the first one is found, the rest will also be found.

Clips for the relinked files will be imported into the Event, so if you are using this for offline-online, I recommend creating a new Event and associating the duped Project with that new Event as its default. Otherwise you'll get duplicate clip names in the same Event.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:52:51 am

[Oliver Peters] "I've done a bit of testing throughout the evening with the various features and, of everything, the Relink feature is HUGE for editing workflow. This finally permits offline-online workflows.
"

So glad to hear that!

[Oliver Peters] "Cut with low-res media files. Dupe the Project and then Relink media to the high-res files. You can have changed the clip name in the Event and when you Relink it asks for the original media file name instead of the changed name. That's great. The only missing feature seems to be that there is no "match exact name", so you have to hunt down the list and find the exact match. Once the first one is found, the rest will also be found.

Clips for the relinked files will be imported into the Event, so if you are using this for offline-online, I recommend creating a new Event and associating the duped Project with that new Event as its default. Otherwise you'll get duplicate clip names in the same Event."

That is huge. The ice is beginning to melt a bit. Thanks for reporting in!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:26:27 am

Fabien Daguerre has also just pointed out on the techniques forum that there is now an autosave folder in the projects folder, this has timestamped versions of your projects as in FCP7, hopefully this means no more days worth of work lost for some people!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: 10.03 released
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:41:27 pm

Has anyone determined if the "file bloat" issue has been addressed in this release?

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:04:10 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Has anyone determined if the "file bloat" issue has been addressed in this release?

Tim
"

I'm curious about this, too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07:20 pm

I know. I'm cursed (blessed, I guess) with doing all sorts of work. I've pretty much determined that X is not suitable at this point for long-form work but it might be a valid choice for quick turnaround short form work. I'm for using tools that facilitate a given task. If X ends up being the best choice for a particular task, I'll be in.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35:49 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I'm for using tools that facilitate a given task. If X ends up being the best choice for a particular task, I'll be in."

That's me too. I'm pretty much over the FCP 8 debacle, and if I can use X to do something, I will. I don't see it being my primary or even secondary tool, but that doesn't mean I won't find some use for it. Plus, I do enjoy just seeing how things tick. I am glad that I'm getting reacquainted with MC, though. Both the platform and myself have matured substantially since I was last onboard. I've also promised myself that I would get all up in Premiere when I have some time. Those two things take priority over X, but I will spend some tie there eventually.

The thing that encourages me about this release are not so much the big things that everyone was expecting, but the tiny bits like match back, re-linking and saving. It means somebody is actually paying attention to things that need to be done. And it means that the choice to use the software is becoming more a matter of taste and preference in editorial approach, than whether or not the software will actually function for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:28:45 am

Lord, I hope someone is paying attention. It does seem so. And these do seem to be good developments.

Avid we can talk about on another forum. They own the category yet they seem unable to make money. I think they're on their way to that now (but at what cost?)

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:30:01 am

I meant talk about Avid

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: 10.03 released
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:43:42 pm

[Steve Connor] "Fabien Daguerre has also just pointed out on the techniques forum that there is now an autosave folder in the projects folder, this has timestamped versions of your projects as in FCP7, hopefully this means no more days worth of work lost for some people!"

Bingo! Now we're talking. The fundamental issues with project security and stability were conspicuously missing from yesterday's conversation. This addresses at least one of them. That's good!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15:37 pm

Is autosave interval definable? If not do you know how often it saves?

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38:57 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Is autosave interval definable? If not do you know how often it saves?"

It's not an autosave per se, since FCPX saves everything you do anyway. It's more of a disaster recovery. I think I read on Larry Jordan's blog that it's at 15 min increments and I don't think it's adjustable.

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:20:32 am

Thanks, Andy.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:57:43 am

[Andy Neil] "it's at 15 min increments and I don't think it's adjustable"

Still, 15 min increments is a whole lot better than nothing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]