Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Your New NLE ...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Franz BieberkopfYour New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:51:40 pm

... is all automated, and free!

http://www.magisto.com/

via macrumors
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/10/ces-2012-swivl-motion-tracking-stand-an...

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:14:35 pm

You beat me to it!
And you thought FCPX was "too simple"
Note that when the talk about the difficulty in editing they use screenshots of FCP legacy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:18:40 pm

And for those grumbling about the price of FCPX or even iMovie, it seems Magisto is free for the time being.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/magisto/id486781045?mt=8

Now we wait for the first person to post their doc or corporate video cut with it.
Maybe it's designed to replace the editors of reality TV shows. Burnim Murray here you go.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:27:01 pm

Damn-

You both beat me to it. Love the psycho reference during the "Have you tried editing/FCP7" tirade.

What I like is that this is completely and whole heartedly consumer, unless they announce SAN support.

What I wonder is what algorithm they use to find "the interesting pieces". Movement? What about audio? Can it auto edit audio, too?

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:35:44 pm

Their website
http://www.magisto.com/

BTW I vaguely remember Pinnacle having something like this in a consumer editing app.

Things like this could have some value in a professional environment. Imagine having a creative mental block to cutting a montage section. Run something like this and then have the ability to trim or replace shots.

And there's stuff like this as well
http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/AssistedEditing/
The tools
https://s29039.gridserver.com/IntelligentAssistanceStore/FirstCutsforFCP
and
https://s29039.gridserver.com/IntelligentAssistanceStore/FinisherforFCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Franz BieberkopfRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:00:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I wonder is what algorithm they use to find "the interesting pieces"."

Jeremy,

I'm imagining an editing farm somewhere in Viet Nam.

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:29:36 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Jeremy,

I'm imagining an editing farm somewhere in Viet Nam."

You know what, I must have missed that you had to upload the video.

That changes things.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis RadekeRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:09:55 pm

My guess is this will be a service based business. I see these guys as looking to get bought by somebody else...

The one I've always liked is animoto. They've been at it much longer. http://animoto.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad SpinozaRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:28:50 pm

If I had releases, I would upload the footage from my recent surgical training show just to see what sort of "highlights" Magisto chooses!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas FrankRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:26:36 pm

This can't be used it has no OMF export option! lol ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike JeffsRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:46:00 pm

So do you think they used magisto to edit their own Promo Video ???

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:48:43 pm

Oh boy...if you thought every cub scout was an editor with iMovie, this will make every dog, cat, and spider monkey an editor! No talent necessary.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:25:08 pm

The demo videos on their site have songs from Kesha, the Pixies and the Beatles. I doubt they've licensed these. I don't think magisto is long for this world.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:06:32 pm

[Juan Salvo] "The demo videos on their site have songs from Kesha, the Pixies and the Beatles. I doubt they've licensed these. I don't think magisto is long for this world."

Pretty funny, huh? I'm trying to figure what part of Fair Use these folks would try to hide behind, and I can't see it. What, did they upload their lawyers and have them edited in Pirateville?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:41:49 pm

Any fair use case is directly related to how good your lawyer is.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:46:33 pm

I'm betting RIAA and ASCAP have better lawyers. And, of course, case law that is firmly on their side. (IANAL)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Julian BowmanRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:54:14 pm

Sorry, is this Final Cut Pro 11 already? It looks great. When's it out?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:09:28 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Sorry, is this Final Cut Pro 11 already? It looks great. When's it out?"

What are you talking about? This looks more like a Adobe product!
First beta it out then charge a subscription and then do hyped up unnecessary updates that only work great in the demos! ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:28:47 pm

Sorry, i'm confused. I thought Adobe made products that enable someone to make something, though obviously in an antiquated, non-inspirational and unsexy manner, whereas Apple made products that did it all for you.... 'you crazy creative you!!!'... which is like, well cool.

Thus this is obviously an Apple product.

I mean it's like the 24" LED monitor they replaced the beautiful 23" monitors with. You know, the one without an off button, because let's face it, on/off buttons are complicated and confusing so let Apple decide how and when you can turn it off because life is better when you don't have to think about turning things off... like the lights in your house, or your car engine when you're sat in it inside the garage... no, being trained to not think about turning things off is good, we have a surplus of resources on the planet and if we don't start using them all, where will be put all the iPad mini-maxi-mocha-decaf-latte 9s?

Plus my cat really liked having the soft glow of the screen all night whilst the mac was rendering stuff and there was no off button... God Apple are clever aren't they?

Yes.

So again, an editing package that does everything for you so all you have to do is hit 'send to youtube' and spend the rest of the time on your favourite forum basking in the glow of your own brilliance... obviously, it's Apple.

Anyway, when was this out? And is it Final Cut Pro 11 or Final Cut Pro XI and if the later is it called Final Cut Pro Ex Eye? Don't want to pronounce it wrong or all the cool kids might laugh at me and being a part of the in-crowd is very important to me.

*swoon* I love Apple.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:50:32 pm

lol what are you talking about?
Nope I mean Adobe that makes the Tools so easy so the uncreative know how to use them... lol
oh wait is that the same rout Apple is going thats wired. Not sure what your hang up on the monitors... I would just say that it your fault if get a monitor that you are not happy about.

[Julian Bowman] "You know, the one without an off button, because let's face it, on/off buttons are complicated and confusing so let Apple decide how and when you can turn it off because life is better when you don't have to think about turning things off... like the lights in your house, or your car engine when you're sat in it inside the garage... no, being trained to not think about turning things off is good, we have a surplus of resources on the planet and if we don't start using them all, where will be put all the iPad mini-maxi-mocha-decaf-latte 9s?"
Like the Automatic transmission, drive in, TV on demand, electrical escalade, Email, cell phone, you mean the convenient way of live? lol Not my fault if fall for it... ;)

Avid has a Send to YouTube button?? I know from the Adobe site that the send to YouTube button does not work in Premiere! lol

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:57:16 pm

I didn't know it didn't have an on/off button when i bought it. It was an Apple monitor. They have on/off buttons. I mean, obviously, so you can turn them on and off. So it didn't even cross my mind. Still, it's always a joy heading into the hustle and bustle of Central London so obviously I was uber happy lugging it back in to the shop for a refund the next day... not that I wanted to, of course, because everything Apple does is genius and right and uber... but the dust mites complained about having absolutely no period of proper darkness, so what ya gonna do?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:06:59 pm

You are the same guy that will bring back a car cause it has no ashtray? Cause that is the reason why you bought it. hihihihihi
Todays most electronic don't have on and off just a standby function. But you are right about Apple... to bad everybody copies them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: Your New NLE ...
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:25:09 pm

Why didn't you just set the screen to turn off after five minutes in the energy saver settings?

Bit complicated?

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:45:55 pm

Yes dear. That's it. Bit complicated, like a two button mouse. All too much for me.

Alternatively it could simply be that one has preferences. That perhaps one prefers to turn things off when one wants to rather than have it turn off in a one-size fits all automated way, seeing as one size never fits all... at least not snugly, and snug is good.

Perhaps I like to choose how to use my equipment. Perhaps I have a preference as to when I would like to have a screen saver on or when I would like to turn the monitor off. Much in the same way as perhaps I would have a preference about when I save a project I am working on.

Of course I appreciate that Apple doesn't do other people's preferences, but that's fine and dandy isn't it dear, because other companies do. One has a choice of buying a monitor with an on/off button (which I did) and one has a choice to use software that enables you to save it when you want (see above parenthesis).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]