Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Quick Poll. So what's your decision?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dominic DeaconQuick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:50:50 pm

I'm not sure this forum has an actual poll function but I'm interested in what everyone's decision has been- FCPX Or Not? Here's my experience:

There's a lot of talk about FCPX adding functions and becoming a fully rounded tool. However for me it will never be useable. I primarily edit narrative films and the lack of a source window takes FCPX out of the equation entirely. In my opinion a source window is essential for narrative work. I can get by without one for a coporate job but I don't do enough of those- 1 or 2 a year to keep the coffers ticking over- that it's worth keeping an up to date Mac around. Apple can add monitoring, multicam etc but it doesn't help me. This is built as a single window system and I can't work that way.

I've played with all the other major contenders and been surprised to find they are as capable as they are. Premiere is the faster FCP 7. AVID just didn't run smoothly on my system. No idea why but I did like the basic feel of it. Lightworks is FUN. I would love to get deep into it but ultimately only an idiot trusts important work to beta software. EDIUS is the fastest, most intuitive software I've ever used. I just love that I can chuck any frame rate, any format into the same time line, add effects and never have to render. Inconceivable to someone who learnt their trade on FCP. That said, it's useless as far as graphics go and probably not of much interest for corporate work.

Anyway that's where I sit and at this point I'd be surprised if Apple could do anything to change my mind. Which side do you fall on?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:03:06 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "Anyway that's where I sit and at this point I'd be surprised if Apple could do anything to change my mind. Which side do you fall on?"

So why ask? No NLE will do everything well. You pick what works for you, your projects and your clients and adapt accordingly. For example, you can do virtually anything with Symphony or Media Composer, but a DS or Smoke editor will never accept it as a finishing tool. FCP X will evolve and get better. It will come closer to offering the demands of many pro editors. Some will plunge in and others will continue to shun it. From your description of your likes, it sounds like EDIUS plus After Effects would be the right mix. In my own case, I've routinely gone back and forth between Avid products and various FCP versions since 1.0. I don't see that changing in the short run.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint WardlowRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:31:24 pm

I am sticking with FCP7 for the immediate future. I did purchase the half-price Adobe Premium package, but mainly for Photoshop and After Effects. I will play around a bit with Premiere Pro to get comfortable with it and probably also purchase FCPX at some future date. But for now, FCP7 works just fine, so that is where I will do the bulk of my editing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dominic DeaconRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:33:00 am

"So why ask? No NLE will do everything well. You pick what works for you, your projects and your clients and adapt accordingly."

I'm asking because I'm interested in others decisions. I've recently had to commit to one system because I'm about to embark on a major project and will need to be spending a few months with a single program. I'm sure others have had to bite the bullet recently and invest as well- whether in FCPX or something else. I'm interested in what they chose.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Walter SoykaRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:35:55 pm

I agree with Oliver. The poll option needs an "all of the above."

In 3D, it's very common for artists to bounce back and forth between applications because each package has different strengths and weaknesses. Look at Terra Nova -- it's modeled on Luxology Modo, animated on Autodesk Maya, and rendered on Newtek LightWave. Some shots are composited on Adobe After Effects, and some are composited on The Foundry's Nuke.

Why should editorial be different? FCP Classic, FCPX, Avid, Premiere Pro -- they all have different strengths and weaknesses. They're appropriate for different needs and in different workflows. Why limit yourself to one?

Edius has been widely overlooked in all this discussion, but you've made it sound interesting. Maybe I'll take a look at that, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GlickertRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:36:22 pm

I used EDIUS for about five years up until going with FCP in 2007. I loved it. Rendering was so rare, it was as if I thought there was a problem with my Windows computer every time it was required. Unfortunately, EDIUS didn't have motion graphics and other software packaged as a suite. I needed something better, and bought Final Cut Studio.

I've liked FCP for the last four years. My only complaints were the frequent, slow rendering, and Motion crashing far too often. I had hoped FCP 8 would help solve some of those problems.

After seeing FCPX, I went with Premiere Pro and After Effects. I didn't want to switch, but FCPX wasn't going to cut it for me. (I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wants a source monitor.) I took the risky step a few weeks ago of undertaking a significant project in PPro / AE without having spent too much time at all learning how to use them. It was a very pleasant surprise, to say the least. Yes, I missed a few things about FCP and Motion, but things went very well and the project was completed quite satisfactorily. Of course, it took longer to complete due to my lack of experience with it, but there's a learning curve to everything. (I'll bet the FCPX learning curve would have been significantly longer.) I absolutely love the integration between PPro and AE. (I hated having to work in Motion with FCP closed, or risk another irritating crash.) I also love not needing to render very often.

So, I've happily moved on to PPro and AE. I'm planning to spend lots more time learning them, and I think I'll end up liking them even more.

On a side note, I've been waiting Apple to update the Mac Pro to the Sandy Bridge processor. (I've been using a MacBook Pro these last four years.) I sure hope they don't EOL the Mac Pro like they did FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Neil GoodmanRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:06:06 pm

i made the switch to back to Media Composer. Was a natural choice because its what i use at work most of the time, and it was finally affordable and useable on my home setup.

To me the lack of a source moniter is also what kills it for me. That and the lack of tracks, mostly audio. I could getu sed to a magnetic timeline but those two things are majorshowstoppers to me.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Don WalkerRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:54:22 pm

Using the FCPX, PPro 5.5. and the Avid 5.5 trial, I came to the conclusion that we didn't know how good we had it with FCP 7. If my job situation does not force me to switch to a PC platform, I am going to run as a FCP 7/X user. I have a new appreciation for 7 and a great love for X, though to be truly useful to me it needs multicam, and video out.

My big concern at this point is that when FCPX finally does talk to the AJA cards, it won't be usable to to my 3 year old Kona Lhe. This happened with MC 6.0, and could happen with FCPX,

If I do go to a PC workflow, I would push hard with the powers that be for a Avid, BMD/AJA system.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Rafael AmadorRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:57:47 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Edius has been widely overlooked in all this discussion, but you've made it sound interesting. Maybe I'll take a look at that, too."
I haven't give a try to Edius because runs only on PCs, but four or five years ago I saw a massive migration from PP to Edius in this remote and peculiar market.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel FromeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:16:25 pm

I don't use Edius because I'm a mac guy (now), but Edius is a beast. I never learned to edit so fast on a foreign editing software as I did with Edius. It's so fast it literally feels like I am working with analog tape. Never waited for my computer to catch up...and that was with an older Core 2 Quad processor. I can only imagine what it would be like with a modern machine.

Edius is actually what delayed me adopting Premiere Pro for a long time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:34:16 am

I've logged about 60 hours with Edius so far- mostly doing colour correction- and only had to render twice. Both of those were when I imported some pro res files that it didn't like. The interesting thing was that after the initial render I could then do whatever I wanted with those Pro Res files- colour correct, add graphics etc- but they never needed rendering again. One of my main frustraitions with FCP was that every time you make even a small adjustment, say move a title one frame, you still need to render the entire clip again. Which seemed nuts to me.

It's interesting over on the Edius forum everyone keeps asking why Edius has such a small user base when it's easily the fastest option. This forum is a great example of how Edius somehow manages to fly under the radar.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:42:43 am

Dominic -

I gave Edius a look after X first came out. For me there were 2 problems - a lack of integrated compositing workflow and a version of multicam that is not quite robust enough for what i do, although it could work well for others. I'm also fairly committed to a ProRes workflow for now, which makes switching over to Windows a little difficult. Otherwise I loved what I saw, especially the speed and ability to handle anything on the timeline without rendering.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:55:26 am

I've never used any form of multi cam so I wasn't aware it was dodgy. For me the major issue at the moment is I find audio work very clumsy compared to FCP. Probably I just don't understand some of the intricacies of how it works but there's very little support online for actually figuring these things out in Edius. A quick search of You Tube will bring up dozens of Lightworks tutorials but bugger all for Edius.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:33:50 pm

I'm waiting for Speed Razor to come back.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris ConleeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:03:29 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "I'm waiting for Speed Razor to come back."

I used that for a while. Moved to Incite on a Digisuite LE card for a while. But have always pined for the venerable Movieshop on a VLab Motion card in my Amiga 3000T. Those were the days.

Avid MC6 for me these days, and LOVING it!

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:05:39 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Moved to Incite on a Digisuite LE card for a while"

I enjoyed my time with Incite, background capture was fun

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:03:18 pm

FCPX for most primary work, FCP7 for broadcast finishing and multicam.

I downloaded Avid MC6 today, quite excited about the new interface quite disappointed to see it looks almost entirely the same as the old interface I first used all those years ago.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:15:32 pm

[Steve Connor] "quite disappointed to see it looks almost entirely the same as the old interface I first used all those years ago"

This sort of thing sort of cracks me up; these vendors can't win for losing. Change it and people scream bloody murder. Don't change it, and people call you old fashioned.

Truth is, I prefer they don't change the Avid interface too much as it borders on perfection as it is. What's changed is under the hood. 64bit awesomeness, with all cores cranking to their full capacity. Lots of RAM. And pretty much any modern video card you want to throw at it for display purposes. I'm LOVING it. Oh, and the new mixer with surround capability, etc. Granted the mixing is very rudimentary, but it's improving.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:24:00 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Truth is, I prefer they don't change the Avid interface too much as it borders on perfection as it is. What's changed is under the hood. 64bit awesomeness, with all cores cranking to their full capacity. Lots of RAM. And pretty much any modern video card you want to throw at it for display purposes. I'm LOVING it. Oh, and the new mixer with surround capability, etc. Granted the mixing is very rudimentary, but it's improving.
"

That's all good and I fully understand why they didn't change the interface that much, but I never liked the interface when I first starting editing on it.

I do think however it will probably get more conversions from FCPX because of the changes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel McClintockRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:12:48 pm

"I'm waiting for Speed Razor to come back."

I'm waiting for NewTek's Video Toaster to come back. I really need that sheep transistion!

------------------------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott ThomasRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:38:38 am

How about an Immix Video Cube?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:48:56 pm

[Scott Thomas] "How about an Immix Video Cube?
"

Found a demo video for the Cube!

http://www.archive.org/details/videocube

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:04:05 pm

Speed Razor 2000!

I had a Speed Razor with a Digisuite LE. Fun machine at the time. A wild concoction. Opened up so many possibilities. Had to go back and use one about four years ago to help somebody out. It was brutal. Amazing what we now take for granted and argue over.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:06:31 pm

Wasn't Speed Razor single viewer like FCPX?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:17:20 pm

If you wanted it that way, but you had sizable Source windows, as well. The Montage, however, which is another NLE I used was very much like that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:30:23 am

Montage! Yikes. Wasn't that the one that operated off a ton of u-matic decks rolling together?

bigpine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:43:15 am

[TImothy Auld] "Montage! Yikes. Wasn't that the one that operated off a ton of u-matic decks rolling together?

bigpine"

That was the first Montage. And I believe it was VHS decks with tape loops. I saw one in action once. It was a beast.

The Montage I had was the Montage3, which was disk based NLE. It ran off of a PC with an Intel Action Media II card. It was a wild thing. Instead of the television's Source/Record model borrowed by most NLEs of the time, it used a rotating timeline model, where you basically treated the nine available timelines as both bins and timelines. It was funky, but in the day it was a revelation! That was back, of course, when all NLE's were offline. I think Sidney Lumet used to use it all the time, and I know that Star Trek: Next Generation used to use it. In fact, I was just having a conversation last week with the post super from that show--our kids go to the same school--and we were laughing about the weird bin-less wonder of the thing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:09:38 am

Thanks, Chris. That just sounds so convoluted and confusing. But when I think back to offline workflows that included the Convergence 90 and its like then Montage must've seemed like a gift from heaven.

bigpine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:59:03 am

Actually, Speed Razor didn't have an on-screen monitor at all. Everything was done on the client monitor. It was definitely a different beast.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:54:16 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I had a Speed Razor with a Digisuite LE."

That was high end! I was using a Fast DVMaster Pro card. My very first NLE. Running Windows NT -now that was brutal!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:31:03 pm

I am still using FCP7 and will continue to use it as long as it remains viable. I am not interested in FCP X. I purchased Avid MC 5.5 via the crossgrade promotion and will upgrade to v6 soon. I will eventually transition to using Avid MC for all future projects. MC will allow me to easily transition to Windows-based PC hardware if Apple should discontinue its pro hardware.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mark DobsonRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:55:53 pm

This thread is so similar to other almost identical threads posted over the last few days that it just goes round in the same old circles that have been debated over the last few months.

So we had " to stick with FCP7 or not?" or "if FCP isn't really for Pros, who is it for?"

The truth is all the key NLEs are simply amazing and are getting exponentially better with each version.

FCPX has however really gone down a totally different track from the others, ruthlessly shedding it's previous skin, upsetting a load of people on the way.

This is a great forum when it digs deep into the detail of the changes, what works, what doesn't work, what can be improved.

To simply state NLE preferences promotes a narrow debate that few can learn from.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:18:04 pm

[Mark Dobson] "To simply state NLE preferences promotes a narrow debate that few can learn from."

This forum is chock full of huge and intricate debates that you can learn from, it doesn't hurt to have the occasional lighter thread

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jim GibertiRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:35:01 pm

After 11 years of FCP and Media 100 before that we're a little over a month into X and really enjoying it.

Just finishing our third TV campaign with it and a short film. The speed is absolutely great for this type of work. There are so many things that X does faster than 7, it's too bad that they've gotten lost in the focus on the things that are missing. ColorSync is one of them but that's another discussion.

Anyway, we're liking X enough that we're porting over a few unfinished spots that were started in 7.
By the way, about 5 weeks in and not a single crash yet.

Hardly perfect - it really needs some kind of RAM purge function (ie Motion) pretty immediately for instance, and a laundry list of other things I'm noting - but as a first incarnation it's pretty slick.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg BurkeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:23:52 pm

after messing around with Adobe and Avid, I went adobe. However Im noticing allot of bugs with the software, still bummed that Apple decided to ignore the people that helped them become what they are today but thats business and that the one thing I wont be giving apple from here on out...

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Brian VedholmRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:30:28 pm

This post made me remember the past:

Started editing with tape (BetaSP, DigiBeta):
Sony Editor bve-910, Sony bve-2000, ACE25 AMPEX (never really figured that last one out)

Then went on to NLE:
Avid (Mac), Media100 (Mac), Lightworks (PC). In a very surprised voice: "how can a PC be used for editing? Strange!"

Then back to tape editing (BetaSP again and DVCPRO25):
Sony bve-910 (once again)

Then more NLE:
Stratos
Video Machine (don't remember who made that one)
FAST purple/blue/liquid (and a silver version as well if I remember correctly)
Avid Liquid (formerly know as FAST liquid)
AVID
Final Cut Pro 6 (FCS2) "Yes this is great. Wanna stay here forever"
Final Cut Pro 7 (FCS3) "Still great"

And now:
AVID Media Composer 5.5 (and Premiere Pro lurking around the corner)

Looking back it seems silly to think that Final Cut Pro was forever. Well, just happy that I was there in time when Final Cut Pro was Final Cut Pro. Maybe the editing software of the future is yet to be seen (and I'm not thinking of FCPX).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Andrew RendellRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:07:40 pm

I'm just going to wait and see - I'm busy using FCP7 and Avid, so there's no rush for me.

Also, I collaborate with others regularly (importing from and exporting to other software), so being sure that what I use integrates smoothly with what the other people I work with are using is very important (TBH that's the usual reason for how I decide whether to use FCP or Avid on any particular job).

[My name is Andy and I'll use whatever the f*** it takes to get the job done, the only things I care about are the pictures and sound ;-) ]

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dennis LisonbeeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:33:35 pm

We are phasing out FCP 7 at our university and have moved to AVID Media Composer. It has the deepest DNA the finest high end workflow and media management system for narrative features and long form documentary work.

With the addition of Pro Tools to the AVID arsenal and now the enhanced features of 6.0, it is a killer product that Premiere and FCP 10 can't touch.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeremy GarchowRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:27:41 am

windows movie maker

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg BurkeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:17:08 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "windows movie maker
"

duh...winning

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:52:43 pm

moviescope, rewinds and a guillotine splicer.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:55:06 pm

And let me add that running a P2 card through a moviescope ain't easy.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:47:27 am

[Dominic Deacon] "So what's your decision?"

FCPX so far. If it keeps getting better as I expect than FCPS so farther.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark MoracheRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:47:32 am

I've got FCP7, and Premiere 5.5 on my laptop, but I keep going back to X. I imagine I'd jump back to FCP7 if I had a multicamera project, but I've actually edited a number of simple 2 camera interviews quite easily using the synchronize function. It worked quite well.

I haven't missed the second monitor.

If I have more than one clip stacked in the timeline, I can easily find the right frame by scrubbing with the T tool, or the B tool. This lets me quite easily see what's going on in each camera with the skimmer. Try it. It works quite well.

I still have a large list of things I want to see, but I've been seduced by it's power, and early next year we'll have multicam and external monitor support. I can still edit on FCP7 anytime I need, but haven't needed to for several months.

Life is good.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamie FranklinRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:16:17 pm

I'm sticking with what works. There are days rendering can cause my blood to boil over, and non-native format editing can get annoying with the extra legwork (2 things that aren't really all that improved with X) it's nothing to the complete blunder and annoyance of the position tool and iron control of the mag "timeline". Adobe is a good alternative when needed but there isn't a desire to jump ship, and I'm going to invest some time trying out MC6 to shake my squirrel cage and get experience for places that might require the know-how. But FCS will be my home for the foreseeable future.

The freedom of 7's multitrack outweighs any of the perceived improvements in X. Until Apple breaks 7, there really isn't a reason for me to leave it.

Anyone know when Lightworks will release a mac beta? I haven't kept up with development lately...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David LawrenceRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 7:25:32 am

[Jamie Franklin] "Anyone know when Lightworks will release a mac beta? I haven't kept up with development lately..."

According to the website, we should hopefully get the first Mac beta on Dec. 19th.

Looking forward to it!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamie FranklinRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:24:08 pm

My birthday! Sweet action...thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam WhiteRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:30:16 pm

I'm sticking with FCP 7 until Premiere CS6 is released. I've been really impressed with some of the features + power of PP and I like the fact that it respects a more traditional editing paradigm and the fact that I feel like it just gets out of my way and lets me work how I want to.

I'm waiting for the new version of PP because A) FCP 7 still works great for now and B) I feel that CS6 will build on the progress made by Adobe the last couple years and I'm really optimistic its going to be a really good release.

In terms of FCP X, I find the lack of a source monitor offensive frankly, and for me its an instant deal breaker. So is the idiocy of not being able to have multiple sequences in a project/event/hoopla whatever the hell Apple have decided to call it now. And I just felt like it wants to hold my hand through the process which is not what I want from an NLE at all.

For me the issue with FCPX is not missing features but its whole design and way of working. I simply don't want to work the way X wants me too, so I'm not interested in it. The only way I can see myself sticking with FCP is if all those design decisions are reversed, which is never going to happen.

From the part of the industry I'm in (short form web content) I can't see FCPX being the NLE of choice for many. We should be it's ideal user - but we also respect and like working within the editing paradigm that X tossed aside.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Paul EscamillaRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:36:13 pm

We're sticking with FCP 7 for now.

I have two new 12-core Mac towers coming and am excited to experience the speed boost from the dual-core i'm now running on.

I wish I could put a new Final Cut Pro 8 on the new machines, but alas, Apple decided to make FCP X instead, and it just won't work in our editing environment.

At some point, we will have to switch to a new application. Premiere, or Avid or something else. Were going to have to give it some though and run some trial software.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam WhiteRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:46:38 am

Were in the same position. And there are so many people struggling with the same exact problem.

There is naturally a reluctance to move on from FCP 7 because it is such a solid project, it works so well and there is a whole generation of pro editors who have known little else. These are the younger editors who would probaly have been hitched to FCP indefinately had Apple made the v8 most users wanted. I still find the whole situation pretty remarkable to be honest - here was a product on the brink of taking over the entire industry and essentially wiping out the competition. That looks like a pipe dream for FCPX now.

But I think there is also a sense, speakng from conversations I've had with people in the same boat, that we can only put off the inevitable for so long and that the party is over so its probaly time to clear up the mess and move on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 4:18:30 am

[Adam White] " I still find the whole situation pretty remarkable to be honest - here was a product on the brink of taking over the entire industry and essentially wiping out the competition. That looks like a pipe dream for FCPX now."

'Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' is the expression that springs to mind. FCS3 for the moment pending what my fellow editors locally choose. I am on the final post end - grade online & sound post where FCPX has little relevance.

Some have already jumped to Adobe and many are going to AVID MC6. Da Vinci seems obvious but I will wait until Adobe release CS6 and see if there is any hint of Iridias in their workflow. Also the ultimate decision is also whether to stay Mac.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis RadekeRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:16:24 pm

[Paul Escamilla] "I have two new 12-core Mac towers coming and am excited to experience the speed boost from the dual-core i'm now running on."

Sadly, you're only still able to take advantage of those two cores for FCP7. A move to any that you mentioned Apple (FCPX), Avid or Adobe will allow you to take advantage of all of the memory and the CPUs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mitch IvesRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:36:53 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "I'm not sure this forum has an actual poll function but I'm interested in what everyone's decision has been- FCPX Or Not?"

Jury's still out. Using FCP7 for most work, using FCPX to learn it.

IMO so much depends on how Quickly Apple fills the gaps. The addition of Multicam and professional output to monitors if does actually happen in early 2012, would go a long way in making it more usable. After that, let's hope they're serious and really start improving it on a constant and ongoing basis...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Quick Poll. So what's your decision?
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:24:27 am

[Dominic Deacon] "Anyway that's where I sit and at this point I'd be surprised if Apple could do anything to change my mind. Which side do you fall on?"

Avid / Adobe. We've tested both, we like both. We're going to run both in our shop. Still have not decided which will be our "primary NLE" just yet, but it will be one or the other. FCP 7 is essentially phased out as a "new project' NLE.

FCP X is not on our radar for now, probably a few more years depending on the development if ever. Depends on whether we stay with the Mac hardware or switch over to Windows workstations.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]