Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

XML from FCP 7 to open in X

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jerry HofmannXML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32:55 pm

I've tried all 5 flavors of XML export from FCP 7. None will open in X. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone tried this and had success?

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill HallRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:45:02 pm

As some have mentioned on this forum it's a new xml. As of now there is still no direct way to go from FCP 7 to FCP X. Although many are thought to be working on a translator for the languages.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marvin HoldmanRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:30:15 pm

From the recently removed Apple FAQ -

"Final Cut Pro X features new and redesigned audio effects, video effects, and color grading tools. Because of these changes, there is no way to “translate” or bring in old projects without changing or losing data."

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marvin HoldmanRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:33:32 pm

Might want to read this thread. I think there has been some experimentation with "parsing" XML's through CatDV. It appears the results are somewhat limited.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/16076

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:58:13 pm

It's not XML Jerry, it's a new thing called FCPXML.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:04:53 pm

David,

It's not totally correct. Both are XML (7 and X) but it's different language.
To interchange from 7 to x or the other way round will be basic because of the different structure and features.
So it's something like updated EDL stuff.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:27:46 pm

Naturally. Course that leaves the likes of Automatic Duck or Intelligent Assistance or other to come up with a translator.

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas K. DempseyRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:49:58 am

Guys:

Tell me if I am missing something in my over-simplification that follows:

Apple themselves have admitted that trying to XML/translate from FCP7 to FCPX won't work without losing data. That makes sense; think of all the tracks, plug-in effects and other subtleties that won't translate to the trackless, simplified FCPX. Meanwhile, how to translate limited metadate from FCP7 and create all the metadata and "events" of the FCPX workflow?

As Walter Biscardi has said in his recent article, if you have a big archive of important FCP7 projects, forget about FCPX. You can count on using a legacy FCP7 system, or translating the projects to Premiere Pro which he thinks is similar enough to preserve & implement most info of your FCP7 project. Forget ever importing complex FCP7 projects into FCPX intact.

MORE IMPORTANT in my mind is going the other way! All the new workflows that people are talking about -- shoot with DSLR or HD smartphones, edit on MacBook Air (and eventually iPad we assume) with FCPX -- this may be the future of ENG, at least in journalistic hot spots. Post to the web and you're done.

BUT sometimes you will want to take your FCPX material and import it into FCP7 or PP or Avid -- THAT would be useful. Say you work fast and dirty in FCPX, post your results, but on this ocassion you want the results for use in a more complex, track-assigned, heavily plugged-in, multiple monitor, broadcast-standard FCP7 or PP system? You will want to go XML OUT of FCPX, and XML IN to FCP7 -- and have the (presumably) third-party translation app create your locked tracks, effects, transitions, perhaps even use the metadata & events info to create a series of bins and so on.

Doug D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:45:03 am

I think you have it right more or less. There will be third party translations going on... FCP XML to Avid XML to whomever's XML.. Until all these companies are ONE company, that's the way it will be adfinitum.

I don't really see much of a difference between FCP 7's level of sharing sequences et all and FCP X's within 90 days or so... Most filters don't translate now between systems.

Not in your equation though is the possibility that X will evolve quickly enough to the point where you can finish in it and be happy with the results? Ya never know.

FCP X is a new NLE that some will never embrace and others will simply fall in love with. I can say it's fast once you get your head wrapped around the Browser's behaviors. It's all about the metadata. You also have to get your head past not having tracks. That's the bigger hurdle I think. But once you do, it makes a lot of sense.

The new "roles" feature is the beginnings of track exports sort of... Like it should be pretty easy to command all VO or all sound sync or all music.FX to be tagged to go out as a track of audio for example...

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]