Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

dslr?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kendrick Pricedslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:01:04 pm

Greetings All,
Question, I'm thinking about a DSLR camera to shoot music videos, commercials and PSA's. My question is should I stick the HD camcorders Canon Vixia HF 200, Canon XA-10? I really like the field of depth feature that comes with DSLR cameras.
My real concern is that I don't have any experience with DSLR cameras. Can somebody please tell me how these cameras work? How long can you record HD footage on these cameras? I was told that with the DSLR cameras, you can record hd footage for about 7 minutes and then you have to switch the card. Is this true? Please somebody give me some incite on these cameras.
Also, can somebody compare the Canon XA-10 to the Canon DSLR 7d? the real question is if I bought the XA-10 will it give the type of look that 7D has?
Thanks,
Kendrick Price

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: dslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:48:36 pm

[Kendrick Price] "Can somebody please tell me how these cameras work?"

You are going to have to do some research yourself. Nobody on this forum can answer that question without writing you a multiple page thesis for a reply. There are many good places to start. http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/
and the dslr podcast http://podcasts.creativecow.net/dslr-video-podcast will give you a good foundation. But you will have to (like the rest of us) research the pros and cons of DSLRs.

DSLRs are many things, simple is not one of them. Good Luck

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kendrick PriceRe: dslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:58:26 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent DunnRe: dslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:51:11 pm

I have used the canon 5D Mk II and 7D. They both are great cameras.

But, if I were to purchase a camera today, I wouldn't waste my money on a DSLR. I would buy the Panasonic AF-100. You get a film camera sensor with great low light and video camera features, such as audio control and built in ND filter that you can dial in.

You can use most DSLR lenses with an adaptor.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kendrick PriceRe: dslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:23:08 pm

Hi Brent,
I'm thinking of buying this camera by Canon, what do you think? Would this be a good camera to shoot, music videos, commercials, and PSA's? I would like to get opinion on this camera. The link is listed below.
Thanks,
Kendrick Price

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Pro...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: dslr?
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:23:23 pm

Brent is right on the AF100. But keep in mind that is $4,7000 without any lenses. By comparison, the Canon XA10 HD you mentioned is $2,000. Where a 60D with no lens is $950, even with a kit lens is $1,200. Oh and look a the sensor size of the Canon XA10 1/3 CMOS sensor versus a 60D or 7D which has an ASP-C sensor.

The point of the DSLR is what they can do for so little money. Again, they are not easy or simple, but high quality stuff is possible.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob DixRe: dslr?
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:05:53 am

I agree with Brett & John, however I have used the Canon 5D Mark II for a live in concert jazz band performance in High Definition 1920 x 1080 and a brass band in Budapest using an external Rode Stereo Mike, to say the least the video and many still images were broadcast quality and edited in Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas.. The Jazz concert was reduced (if you could say that) to HDV/mpeg-2 at 1440 x 1080 for pro tape and you could not tell the difference on a Sony 46' HD 1920 x 1080 Monitor. ,You could tell the quality difference between a blu-ray disc at 1440 x 1080 or 1920x 1080 and a standard DVD at 720 x 576 PAL . It is just a matter of personal preference.

The low level light performance of this camera (because of the large 35mm sensor) compared to a Canon HDV video Camcorder or the Canon XA-10 without very good lighting is noticeable. Rent both and see what you think.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Ps. Be advised that the Canon outputs H.264 mov clips which are very large and the other Canon, AVCHD the professional 25 mbps not about 12 mbps as per the consumer camcorders. You will need to have a i7 Quad Core with either Sony Vegas Pro10 or Platinum 11 at $119 or Premiere Pro CS5 5.5.1 at $1600 Aud. The Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 is only a 32 bit of software gives a professional performance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]