Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tobias AndersenFlicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:57:05 pm

Hi,

I have been recording some video with my 5D MK2, but I am getting some flickering artifacts in my vidoes when there are straight lines in the shot.
I have uploaded a clip where the issue can be seen (http://vimeo.com/39780964 just leave the password blank and press ok) - look for example at the railings at the terraces in the background or the red triangle on the back of the tractor or the bricks on the buildings in the background. I uploaded the video file I took directly from the camera.
It was recorded with iso 100, f16 and 1/60 shutter speed, 24p full hd. It was my intention to have a wide depth of field, so I intentionally used a high f-stop. The lens was a 17-400mm f/4.0L.

What do you think causes this? I hope someone have some input, thanks :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:01:40 pm

Looks like typical aliasing (moire) that happens with all DSLRs. I thought the 5D MII had fixed that problem (or at least really mitigated it).

John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tobias AndersenRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:09:13 pm

Thanks for your input - Do you think I can reduce the problem in any way? Any settings?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:55:35 pm

I can't speak specifically to the 5DMIII but sharpness settings are almost always set as low as possible. (I think Canon is a -4 settting). That will help for sure, but you also might mess around with picture styles. Neutral might be better than the other settings.

John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob DixRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:19:24 pm

Hi Tobias,

Have used the Mark II for 3.5 years with no issues, but,there may be an issue with shimmering on verticals behind a subject. I suggest you use say f 5.6 at what ever shutter speed and throw the background out of focus.I used to use 1/60 sec shutter speed for all videos as some pros said it would be smoother, but, even a shutter speed of say /2000 sec makes no difference to the video at say f5.6.

If you use a f stop of f16 to say 32 you may pick up small dust spots even on the background, f5.6 will get rid of that.

Good luck .

incidentally you will get vertical shimmering on a Pro unit costing $10,000 or more including broadcast.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent DunnRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:42:06 pm

These cameras suffer from an issue known as Moire. You'll get this when shooting something with straight lines like fencing, blinds, bricks, etc.

The Mark III is supposed to have improved performance on this issue.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tobias AndersenRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:26:41 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies everyone :)

John: Yeah I did try to decrease the sharpness all the way down - and contrast too - it may have helped a little but it's still very noticeable in this particular scene. Also I think it makes the footage quite blurry, but I guess that could be fixed in post, though sharp footage is technically better for me as I am going to use it for 3D tracking. But I don't know exactly what the sharpness setting does - like in which ways it is different from sharpening the footage in post?

Bob: I will definitely experiment with decreasing the depth of field and get a better feel for how much I will have in focus for different f-stops :) You say that at 1/2000 shutter speed the image doesn't suffer significantly at f5.6 - but are those two related? I mean, shouldn't a fast shutter speed have the same impact on motion blur no matter what the f-stop is?

Brent: I think that getting a mk3 is going to be a little too expensive right now :D But it definitely looks like it has some nice improvements on the video side, it seems like it should reduce the rolling shutter artifact too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob DixRe: Flicker issues on video with 5D MK2
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 8:24:08 am

Only if the scene is too bright , experiment . at f 5.6 you will blur the background and remove any moire. anything smaller than that and you may have sharp focus and more moire. normally at 1/60sec your f stop should be say f32 depending on the light in bright sunlight ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]