Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Buying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK

COW Forums : What Computer Should I Buy?

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Patrick MurphyBuying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:48:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I was hoping for some advice as to what PC machines would be best to buy for editing on. I have a budget of about £2000 ($3000).

I am hoping to cut down on render times but also be able to run AE and Photoshop along with APP.

Also can anyone in the UK recommend somewhere to buy... i only know PC world!

Many THanks

Paddy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd PerchertRe: Buying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK
by on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:54:24 pm

If you aren't into building your own, I'd say to look at the HP's - the 600 or 800 series. The 600 series may be more in your price range. I am assuming you just want the PC and have everything else you need for your edit bay...
TC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Patrick MurphyRe: Buying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 7:15:27 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks for this i will look in to them.

No i would need to get everything, up till now i have been doing all edits on a Mac Book Pro, but some of the bigger ones are just taking so long with rendering times.

So would be buying everything from scratch.

Paddy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: Buying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK
by on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:10:05 am

Second Todd's recommendation; Z620 and Z820 are awesome systems.

The only "but" is that in the US a well configured single-CPU Z620 or Z820 is in the $4K-5K range; I heard prices are a bit higher in the UK.

By "well configured" I mean a base 6-core model such as Z820 B2C03UT, with a decent graphics card (GTX-670, Quadro 4000) added, upgraded to 32GB memory, and possibly a couple of 2TB or 3TB drives for the media array - not including DCC software, hardware or display monitor(s).

Configured this way on HP site, it comes out to $4,459:
- HP Z820 Workstation (B2C03UT), base, with one Xeon® E5-2630 2.30 GHz
- add NVidia Quadro 4000
- add 32GB RAM (4x 8GB registered ECC)
- add two HP 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200 HDD

A similarly configured Z620 - same exact price. I see no benefit in using a Z620 vs. a Z820.

Using 3rd party memory, hard drives and a GTX-670 card vs. Quadro 4000, saves about $600-800.

So possibly you'd want to contact a UK specialty integrator (like ADK and Puget we have in the US) and have them build a custom system?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd PerchertRe: Buying a PC for Editing in Adobe PP and After Effects in the UK
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:19:02 pm

I agree with Alex.
I do think it will be difficult to find a complete, well-configured system for the price Patrick is looking at. If you can't afford it, you may have to go with a basic system and upgrade with additional RAM/HDD later. Definitely, don't buy RAM and HDD from HP (Or wherever you are looking)! You can usually get them much less expensive elsewhere and they are very easy to add in.
TC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]