Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

New systems for college use

COW Forums : What Computer Should I Buy?

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jay ElsNew systems for college use
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:17:11 pm

Hi there,

I was hoping that I could get some feedback on the systems I am about to buy for our college (note this is a not a film editing course, and therefore the technical competence of our students is a little lower).

We have been using FCP and DV cameras - which has been working great but is now effectively obsolete. For various reasons we need to move on. I have a budget of £5000 (it cannot go mcuh higher than this - so please keep suggestions within this price range) to buy 2 editing computers (software needed for 4) and 4 cameras.

We currently have two Mac Pros, and for that reason I want to stay with Macs. I am currently thinking:

iMac (base spec) x 2 (£930 each)
Panasonic TM900 (£680 each)
and
Adobe Premiere (education version) (£300 each) (although FCP X is another optio)
total £5800

plus some bits and pieces like headphone adapters etc.

Thoughts, ideas, other hardware I should be looking at instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd hate to get it wrong with this kind of money!

Cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd PerchertRe: New systems for college use
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:53:12 pm

That should work great for you and your students! Record to SD cards, and the iMacs have a nice SD card reader slot on the side. Plug in the card, copy the media to the HDD and start editing! That is simplistic! Which makes me wonder if you would want to go to Premiere. I like Premiere, but from what I hear about FCPX is that it makes editing simple video easy, even though it lacks some Pro features now... Just a thought.
TC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]