Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Is there any reason to move up from v7 for image quality on the iPad? Plus settings question...

COW Forums : Sorenson Squeeze

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt DragovitsIs there any reason to move up from v7 for image quality on the iPad? Plus settings question...
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:42:08 am

I'm getting ready to encode some videos for the iPad and I wanted to know if there is any difference in quality between v7 and v8.

I also wanted to see if anyone could tell me the optimal compression settings in Sorenson for the iPad. Source footage is 1920X1080. I want to scale it down to 1000 X 563. The videos are only about a minute or two each.

Also, will I need to compress for other browsers, or will the settings for the iPad compression be compatible with PC and Mac using firefox, safari, chrome, etc? (*I'm assuming an mp4 format would be pretty compatible but I trust you guys know more about this.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff GreenbergRe: Is there any reason to move up from v7 for image quality on the iPad? Plus settings question...
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:27:22 am

[Matt Dragovits] "I'm getting ready to encode some videos for the iPad and I wanted to know if there is any difference in quality between v7 and v8.
"

I can't speak of a major difference in quality. Both are using (as I recall) main concepts mp4 encoder. Squeeze 8 has deeper hooks into the acceleration that the nvidia cards provide with h.264 = faster compression.

I also wanted to see if anyone could tell me the optimal compression settings in Sorenson for the iPad. Source footage is 1920X1080. I want to scale it down to 1000 X 563. The videos are only about a minute or two each.
[Matt Dragovits] "I also wanted to see if anyone could tell me the optimal compression settings in Sorenson for the iPad. Source footage is 1920X1080. I want to scale it down to 1000 X 563. The videos are only about a minute or two each.
"

1000x563...is well...weird. I'd either go 960x540 (exactly 1/4 1080) or to 720.

[Matt Dragovits] "Also, will I need to compress for other browsers, or will the settings for the iPad compression be compatible with PC and Mac using firefox, safari, chrome, etc? (*I'm assuming an mp4 format would be pretty compatible but I trust you guys know more about this.)
"

The future (pretty much) looks like h.264 for everyone (preferably as an MPEG-4 file. Works in every browser.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt DragovitsRe: Is there any reason to move up from v7 for image quality on the iPad? Plus settings question...
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:38:46 pm

@ Jeff. - BTW, forgot to say thanks for all of your help...

Dragzz

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]