Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?

COW Forums : Digital Delivery

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sar AshHow to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:46:05 pm

Hey all,

My client wants the finished video on a USB stick, and for it to play looping (once we set it to do that, not necessarily autorun or autoplay, though that would be nice). It's for a trade show, so ideally the USB would carry the promotional video, and once at the show, the client would stick it in the flat screen TV display, and be able to loop that footage for whatever duration they desire.

There was an old thread on here on this, but no real resolution except someone suggesting to burn a looping DVD and then burn an image of that onto the USB.

Any tips? Suggestions? Ideas? I have a lot of time to do this, so I'll be able to experiment. I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik FreidRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:39:06 pm

what type of player would you be using to play back the video file?

Erik Freid | MediaSilo, Inc
207 South Street | Third Floor | Boston, MA 02111
t. 617.423.6200, m. 617.306.8632, f. 617.507.8577
http://www.mediaSilo.com erik@mediasilo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sar AshRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:52:18 pm

Hi Erik,

No clue yet. I'm just beginning research on this. Is a player necessary? There are players like this: http://bit.ly/qrZvQh What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik FreidRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:41:27 pm

Yes a player is necessary, a monitor cannot play a video on its own.

Make sure you choose one that allows for looped playback in settings and an HDMI connector (I assume it is a HD flat screen) and can playback whatever file type you can generate and you should be good to go.

Erik Freid | MediaSilo, Inc
207 South Street | Third Floor | Boston, MA 02111
t. 617.423.6200, m. 617.306.8632, f. 617.507.8577
http://www.mediaSilo.com erik@mediasilo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:48:41 pm

As Erik implied, it's a player thing. As long as your player supports looping playback, it doesn't matter where the video is stored.

If you need an AUTOMATIC looping playback, e.g. the user inserts a USB stick and the video starts playing back automatically in a loop, with little or no user input - that's a bit more complex, and depends on the computer configuration: is the codec installed? Is auto-play enabled? What is the default player and does it support looping playback? This is why there is no simple solution: the behavior of a USB stick is unpredictable on any given computer, even if all you want to do is start a browser window.

This is also why a DVD programmed for looping playback is a better idea: its behavior is near-guaranteed on nearly any DVD player.

HTH.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sar AshRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:19:34 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I see what you're saying about USBs being a bit more difficult to autorun (let alone loop) on just anything, off the bat.

Right now I'm looking for a player that supports looping and has HDMI, as Erik suggested. If either of you use one you can recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HazenRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:29:11 pm

Research digital signage - a ton of options.

I use Brightsign. The media is on SD cards and there's an authoring app that allows you to set up loops, add slides, etc. The small players can be mounted on the back of the display for trade shows.

http://www.brightsign.biz/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ernie GeefayRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on May 1, 2012 at 1:44:52 am

I just bought a Samsung TV set that takes a USB drive. I am guessing but most new TV set probably have the same thing.
I was able to loop a video file over and over again from the thumbnail drive.
I was also able to load up several video files on the USB drive and have them play one after the other...then loop back to the first video.
I experimented with several file types: wmv. avi. quicktime.
It played wmv files, avi files and quicktime files BUT NOT all the files I loaded up would play
The high quality HD files looked a lot better playing off the thumbnail than they did playing from a standard DVD.
So if you want to play a video in a booth at a trade show, get a TV set that will play video off a USB drive and you won't need a DVD player.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug EthridgeRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:04:11 pm

I'm curious exactly how you got the video to loop play on the Samsung TV. I just unpacked a Samsung 40" model 5000. It played my high bitrate MP4 file perfectly, moved on to the next file and played that automatically, but then at the end of the second movie (only two on the USB for testing), it jumped back to the Media Play menu. I'm not seeing any place to set a loop or auto repeat.

any help appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

eric kimonyeRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Sep 2, 2013 at 7:45:40 am

Hi,

How did you do it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlos LeriasRe: How to get a video on a USB to loop on a TV?
by on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:31:26 pm

I have a video which has a short duration of about a minute or so but it intends to be a seamless continuous loop. I setup the TV to loop the video but in the end of each cycle the screen goes black and when it starts again it shows the unnecessary file info.

The TV screen model is a Samsung UN40EH6000F (http://www.samsung.com/latin_en/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/archievd-tv-old/UN40EH6000FXZP)

There' any way to bypass this and make a seamless loop?

Do I need to get a WD box to play this seamlessly?

Many Thanks

P.S. For the ones interested in knowing how to loop this from the TV. When the video is playing hit the "tools" button on the remote and turn on the repeat mode. You have the option to repeat just one video with the "title" option or repeat "all".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]