Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Conforming RED Footage for Color

COW Forums : DVS Clipster

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Georgia KochConforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:46:38 pm

Hello,

I'm preparing to do a delivery for color. The footage was shot on a RED camera and edited in FCP 7 and our colorist is requesting the following:

"Debayered and fully assembled videos in HD resolution, 23.98 fps, rec709 color space, as dpx or tiff files for final color timing, or on a HD tape."

My first concern is the conversion to a rec709 color space, does any one have any advice or recommendations on this work flow?

Time (as always) is of the essence and I would like it to go as smoothly as possible so I was hoping someone who may be more familiar with this process might be able to give some advice.

I would like to do this in house using Final Cut Pro 7, Compressor and/or Color if necessary.

Many thanks in advance for your support!
Georgia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik FreidRe: Conforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:46:26 pm

Is this a straight HD finish or prep for eventual DI and film out? Also is this final conform, with all VFX, titles, etc done? Finally what system is he/she doing his/her color correct on?

Erik Freid | MediaSilo, Inc
207 South Street | Third Floor | Boston, MA 02111
t. 617.423.6200, m. 617.306.8632, f. 617.507.8577
http://www.mediaSilo.com erik@mediasilo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Georgia KochRe: Conforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:09:28 pm

Hey Erik,

Thanks for your help. This will be a final conform and straight HD finish with all VFX, titles, etc.

I'm not sure what system they use for color, does this make a big difference on our end?

Best,
Georgia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:47:36 pm

Hi Georgia,

So the easiest way to get this done is to edit to tape and just output your project to an HD tape like HDCam/HDCam SR/D5 (preferably SR). If you are running a Kona 3 card this is no problem if you need to rent a deck just do it. Then your colorist can just do a tape to tape session or import into something like clipster and do his work.

If you want to export as file, export using compressor, choose 8-bit uncompressed HD 1080/24p(in advanced folder). Then go into inspector and choose export as image sequence. choose Tiff or DPX set frame rate to 23.98 and export.

Make sure you add textless elements (ie the parts of the movie with text but without that layer on export with some handles) at end of your sequence for international distribution.

If the colorist is Joe G at Deluxe tell him I said hi!

Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Georgia KochRe: Conforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:25:32 pm

Thanks Erik! It's not, but if I do come across him I'll let him know :)

Will compressor also take care of the rec709?

So appreciative of your help.

Georgia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:42:29 pm

8-bit uncompressed HD at 1080/24p (then set to 23.98 fps in settings) is rec 709. While they will grade .tiff or.dpx in the end when they are done, they will output to tape 1080p/23.98 then make 1080i/59.94 broadcast versions. As part of the color correct process they will keep all color & Luma HD broadcast legal.

good lick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dirk DeJongheRe: Conforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:24:50 am

In the RED projects I have done as a colorist on Baselight, the best quality was obtained by importing R3D raw files into Baselight and autoconforming from the EDL or the FCP XML.
Absolutely no need to go to tape. By using the EDL in B-mode, I was able to import only the takes used in the film.
Having the RAW files available on Baselight means I can tweak the conversion and not loose any highlights, blacks etc. Of course, titles etc, will have to be added after the grade.
Anything else than a RAW file will have some conversions and settings baked-in and is impossible to undo. Better have a talk with the colorist about his equipment and knowledge in this matter.

http://www.postproduction.be

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wesley ReisRe: Conforming RED Footage for Color
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 1:58:49 pm

Sounds like You need to talk with your colorist and get some things worked out.You want to grade RAW .Tape?If it does at some point go to tape that would be an output decision.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]