Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

splitting files for sending

COW Forums : Digital Delivery

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nick Hallsplitting files for sending
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:57:46 am

-Hi,
Until recently digital delivery hasn't been an issue as all my clients have been local. However I now have a 14GB MXF file (exported from an EX1 in Clip Browser) that I must send across Spain.
I am on Mac 10.5.8/Final Cut Pro and my client (who will edit the footage) is on Windows CS5. Is it possible to split the file and burn to 2 x DVD DL for sending? Can I do this with Stuffit or Toast? What's the best solution? If possible I would like to avoid sending a HD.
Thanks in advance for your tips.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad BrewerRe: splitting files for sending
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:13:34 pm

Toast is the easiest on the Mac side for spanning data over multiple discs - Toast will then restore the file(s) back from the discs.
However, since you will deliver to a PC based environment, I would suggest one of the following:

1) Put the data on a Blu-ray disc as data if you have access to a Blu-ray burner.
2) Get the file on a PC and use WinRAR (free) to archive the file. You can tell WinRAR what your maximum file size is and it will archive it into multiple files not exceeding that max size and then you burn those to discs. The recipient will need WinRAR or something similar to unpack the archive.
3) In my estimation, the easiest, fastest, and best solution - buy a 16GB flash drive for $20-25, format it for PC(NTSF) and ship that since you're going to be shipping something overseas one way or another. That will eliminate any issues of data corruption that sometimes occur when archiving/unarchiving over multiple DVD data discs.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]