Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Prep for live action + greenscreen stop motion

COW Forums : Stop-Motion Animation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David KomerPrep for live action + greenscreen stop motion
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 8:12:07 am

I am getting ready to shoot a scene which involves a live actor with a stop-motion creature.

My main problem is that the camera will need to move freely all around the actor- and in the final composite, the stop-motion creature needs to sit correctly in the frame to match (perspective, lighting, etc.) Both the actor and the creature will be moving their arms, jumping around, and so on.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Ideally, the actor will be shot on-location and the stop-motion will be greenscreened, but if shooting both against greenscreen has some serious advantages- I'm (less enthusiastically) open to it ;)

Please include info about how to properly use tracking points in this setup- I'm going to do some tests before I run out for the real shoot, but I'd really like to hear some experienced perspective on this first :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WrightRe: Prep for live action + greenscreen stop motion
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:56:44 am

i think your best bet is to use a temporary cgi stand-in.

1. motion track the actor in full 3 track, then insert a basic low res 3d cgi model into the footage. animate its motion parts to your desire.

2. Then simply match the green screened stop motion final cut exactly to the cgi model. This will then give you perfect perspective/timing in a stopmotion sequence. ie. motion over time in frames per second.

fyi.
if you need the person to interact with the object, use a real object that is a little smaller than the final stopmotion. You can still overlay with cgi and final composite. This always looks more real and helps actors interact with their environment. Also helps with lighting.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David KomerRe: Prep for live action + greenscreen stop motion
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:07:34 pm

Thanks- great points :)

Can you please explain what you mean by "motion track the actor in full 3 track" ?

- is that tracking points in the BG?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian NegusRe: Prep for live action + greenscreen stop motion
by on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:38:19 pm

I think what he means is the Position, Rotation and Scale.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]