Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Audio post production - original files

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nikos PapadopoulosAudio post production - original files
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:17:43 pm

Hello,

I am the producer and editor of an independent feature film project. The image editing is completed and at this point I need to send the project for audio post production. I have worked on really basic stuff such as fade outs, levels etc.

My question is this: Do I have the right (is it a common practice) to ask the audio post production company not just the final mix but also for all the independent tracks on which they will have worked on? (i.e cleaned tracks, special effects, follies, atmos).

I would believe I am entitled to those tracks, since the company will be paid which means that they are a property of the production company.

Just checking to be on the safe side.
Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob KesslerRe: Audio post production - original files
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:47:16 pm

As long as you are paying for it you can request anything that you want, within reason. A detailed contract is always the best way to go about this. You'll probably want, in addition to the mix (specify the format), all the individual stems (dialog, Foley, sound FX, music) and perhaps an M&E (music and effects). You should also request all of the work and mix sessions, just be prepared to have everything transfered it to your own hard drive.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nikos PapadopoulosRe: Audio post production - original files
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:38:32 pm

Thank you Bob, that's good to know.

If you don't mind me asking, what is exactly "work and mix sessions" ? I presume various "snapshots" from different points of their work? How could that be useful for me?

Best,
Nikos

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob KesslerRe: Audio post production - original files
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:15:24 pm

Everyones work flow is a little different, but I have individual sessions for dialog editing, ADR recording/editing, Foley recording/editing, sound fX recording/editing and music/score editing. Once all of the editing is completed I pull the results into a master session. On complicated projects I may also do pre-dubs/pre-mixes. Then there are the final mix sessions broken down by reels, and a last "master" session where the reels are put into sequence. On a feature project I can have dozens of individual sessions since the component recording/editing sessions are also broken down by reel. (i.e 01:00:00 - 01:20:00 for dialog, ADR, Foley, sound FX, ambience, music/score ** 01:20:00 - 01:38:00 for dialog, ADR, Foley, sound FX, ambience, music/score ** etc.)

I can easily use up a terrabyte for a feature films audio sessions. "Hollywood" projects, of course, can use up a dozen terrabytes or more for the audio alone.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Peter GroomRe: Audio post production - original files
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:33:02 am

Ask them for the session.
It will probably have been done ibn a Pro Tools, so the copmplete pt session will have everything.
Peter
Thet might ask why you want it. Just say for archive. Its a requirement in your contract.

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 23, 2012 at 11:10:53 am

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13:52 am

It might not be the place to ask but still, do you know of any links for a sample contract with an audio production company I could use?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]