Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

The Quest to seek the holy budget mic Shotgun microphone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jack BurttenThe Quest to seek the holy budget mic Shotgun microphone
by on Jul 4, 2012 at 3:56:12 pm

It has taken me 6 months to figure out what kind of shotgun microphone to buy. I still haven't found the right one. I have gone on every forum (that has possibly been written), I have gone on youtube, and even stumbled upon this http://www.dvcreators.net/shotgun-shootout/# that showed all the micrphones that I have been considering. I really like the SENNHEISER MKH-416, it sounds great; alas I can not afford it. Now I am debating between the Rode NTG-1 or the AT-897. I have taken a good pair of head phones and heard the differences. To my suprise I really like the sound of the AT-897 it sounds a lot more clearer over the NTG-1. Accept the AT-897 has a lot more self noise. When I used a program to take out the noise it sounded great for the price range. What does everyone think. My plan is to buy a AT-897 and clear up the self noise with a program in post and save up for the SENNHEISER MKH-416.
Thank you for all of your thoughts.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig AlanRe: The Quest to seek the holy budget mic Shotgun microphone
by on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:05:07 pm

Did you employ the Low Cut Filter Switch on the AT? Might help.

Before the pros here can respond they need to know how you plan to use the mike?

Different pick-up patterns are designed for different applications.

How will it be mounted/powered? IOW what cam/mixer/mount?

Read the first review here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897...

I think it's a good summary.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jack BurttenRe: The Quest to seek the holy budget mic Shotgun microphone
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:52:25 pm

Hey Alan Thank you for getting back to me.

I currently do not own a AT 879. I have just edited the self noise out of recordings (with the AT 897), that I have found on youtube and the web. However if I am not mistaken using the lowcut filter is meant for taking out frequencies that is known as background noise.

I came where to the place where Eagles Dare, and the Gods command; to seek advice on a budget microphone under $260.00. I like the sound of the AT 879 over the Rode NTG-1 and NTG-2 (both are the same mic except the later can use a battery). I notice most people here prefer the Rode over the AT 897. Now the AT 897 has more self noise than the rode, but taking out the self noise can be done by using software in post. To my ears and my headphones I can't hear any distortion after using software. However will this distortion be easily recognized if I use the best Speakers in the world? That is the anwser I seek on my quest. I would rather take the time to listen to pros for advice, so I do not have to make the mistakes that they once made in starting out. I like to sparingly spend my money as much as I can.

P.S. I of coarse will use this mic in outdoor settings, and areas that are not heavily reflected. This will also be used on a boom pole as well as by a boom operator.

Thank in advance,
Jack

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]