Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Question About An Audio Pay Dispute

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ross ChandlerQuestion About An Audio Pay Dispute
by on May 17, 2012 at 12:00:11 am

So I have a little issue that I was hoping someone might have some advice on.

I shot and am now editing a short film for a client. This client has not paid their audio technician and now he has asked me not to provide the audio files in the final edit before he has been paid for his work.

I completely understand his position as it has been nearly a month since he completed his work, and will not provide it without his consent, but what are the legal ramifications of this? Can he legally stop use until payment? Does the client, knowing that I have a copy already, come after me legally for withholding the files under his direction?

Obviously I don't really want to be caught in the middle and upset my client but I also have a loyalty to working professionals and would be just as upset if I didn't get paid for my work.

Any advice would be appreciated especially if he does have the legal right to withhold until payment!! :)

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ty FordRe: Question About An Audio Pay Dispute
by on May 18, 2012 at 12:36:46 pm

Hello Ross and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You say the outstanding bill is less than 30 days old. Unless there was an explicit agreement, in writing or verbally, that payment would be made earlier than 30 days, I'd relax. 30-45 days is not unusual for some of my clients. OTOH, I usually have "out of towners" cut me a check on the last day of the shoot.

Was the invoice submitted in a timely fashion? For some payers, the pay cycle doesn't start until they receive the invoice and I have known audio and other craft people who are notoriously late to invoice.

At this point (less than 30 days), I'd suggest you stay out of the middle and let the two work out the details.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 18, 2012 at 12:37:28 pm

You say the outstanding bill is less than 30 days old. Unless there was an explicit agreement, in writing or verbally, that payment would be made earlier than 30 days, I'd relax. 30-45 days is not unusual for some of my clients. OTOH, I usually have "out of towners" cut me a check on the last day of the shoot.

Was the invoice submitted in a timely fashion? For some payers, the pay cycle doesn't start until they receive the invoice and I have known audio and other craft people who are notoriously late to invoice.

At this point (less than 30 days), I'd suggest you stay out of the middle and let the two work out the details.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 18, 2012 at 12:37:56 pm

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 18, 2012 at 12:40:42 pm

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ross ChandlerRe: Question About An Audio Pay Dispute
by on May 21, 2012 at 6:19:13 pm

Thanks for the advice.

As I didn't have any hand in hiring any of the crew I'm laying low and letting them deal with it.

Hopefully they'll sort themselves out!

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alain Koffi SessiRe: Question About An Audio Pay Dispute
by on May 18, 2012 at 4:45:03 pm

Hi Ross,

TY's advice is spot on. Did you have anything to do with the hiring of the audio technician? If yes, I will suggest you try to serve as the mediator because if this conflict escalate, you will be in the middle of it. If no, stay as out of it as possible. It may simply be a billing cycle issue.

Thanks.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

John LivingsRe: Question About An Audio Pay Dispute
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:58:13 pm

Ross,

This may be an opportunity to review your own payment agreement.

Until I am paid in full their copy will have a watermark (Large) as per our agreement.

Regards, John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]