Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

H4N To Record Live Show Audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James de BoerH4N To Record Live Show Audio
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:37:26 am

I'm shooting one of my buddy's band's shows coming up and I was thinking of trying to use my H4N to record the audio straight out of the show's mixer. I tested it out once night at a different show and even with the H4N's levels turned right down the sound was still hot coming into the H4, I have done a little reading around and it seems that no matter what you do the H4 is always going to sound crappy if theres an output running right out of a venues mixer. I was just looking to see if anyone had any tips or if there is someway of making it work or what would be the best way to do it.

Thanks so much, I'm looking to cut together a little show video with a few angles and would love to get some good audio to match it up to... If worse comes to worse I'm thinking of just setting up the H4 somewhere and trying to record on its internal mic, anything would be better than sound from the camera (7D+5D+EX1)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jordan WolfRe: H4N To Record Live Show Audio
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:45:50 am

James,

The H4n's 1/4" jacks are unbalanced and Hi-Z and are meant for direct connection with guitars, keyboards, and other similar electronic instruments. The XLR jacks feed microphone preamps, which will clip when fed with too high a voltage (like that from a line level output on a mixer).

I recommend using a 30dB barrel pad on each XLR input to drop the voltage down to something that the internal mic preamps can handle without distorting.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]