Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ken EakinsRigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:35:29 pm

Hi guys,

This is driving me mad. I hate using on-camera recording, even on our Z1s, but for run and gun stuff that we have to occasionally do on our DSLRs, it's a necessary evil.

I have a Beachtek DXA-2T kicking around, but I had disregarded using it with a DSLR, as it has no onboard headphone output for monitoring. My question is, can the Beachtek be rigged to split the output reliably from the 3.5mm output, so one connection goes to the camera, and the other to a pair of headphones? I know it's possible, but is it going to throw off the reliability of the signal from the Beachtek to the DSLR? I remember from back in the headphone splitter days (sharing an MP3 player with my girlfriend on a plane for example), that it would significantly reduce the volume to each headphone.

Any views on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian ReynoldsRe: Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:54:36 am

The output of most (maybe all) Beachteks are mic level so doing a split with a 3.5mm Y cord will only deliver a mic level signal at the earphone which is way to low to hear, even the ear phones would act as microphones in this sort of setup.....
In other words its not going to work... sorry

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ken EakinsRe: Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:43:46 am

dang!

Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to just buy a better beachtek.

Thanks for the help/.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ty FordRe: Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:44:05 pm

Ken,

Something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292987-REG/Sound_Devices_HX_3_HX_3_3_...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob KesslerRe: Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:49:40 pm

The audio implementation of DSLR cameras is quite substandard; after all, it's a still camera being co-opted into video usage.

More and more it is becoming standard practice to treat a DSLR as a film camera and using a separate audio recording system. So instead of spending $300 to $450 on a one-trick-pony unit like the Beachtek or juicedLink get a decent low-budget digital audio recorder; currently popular are the Tascam DR-40 or DR-100mkII. The Zoom H4n also has a following. If you want to splurge a bit the Fostex FR-2LE, Marantz PMD-661, Roland R-26 and Tascam HD-P2 are all nice entry level pro recorders in the $500 to $700 range.

Syncing is fairly easy as you have the camera audio as a guide, and softwares like PluralEyes partially automate the process.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig AlanRe: Rigging a Beachtek DXA-2T so it can be monitored?
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:16:40 pm

or this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=764543&is=REG&Q=&A=d...

with this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293005-REG/Sound_Devices_XL_3_XL3_Min...

and this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Ntt=Sound+Devices+Xl-cam...

Advantage being it is mounted under the camera sandwiched between cam and tripod. Takes up little room. Handles the preamp of the sound so cam's preamp can be turned down. Very good headphone monitoring. Does have RTN plug if you want to check for output from cam.

Way better than beachtek in every way. Will outlast your cam. Does not beat double system but does give you a neat package for run and gun.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]