Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David WheelerTwo Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:52:51 pm

So, I purchased two Sony UWP-V1 wireless packages, one is a U30 with frequencies in the 566 to 590 MHz range, the other is a U42 in the 638 to 662 MHz range. I do some traveling in the US, so I thought two different block ranges would be a good idea. After reading the documentation, the manual says: "When operating two or more UWP series packages simultaneously with different channel groups, make sure that they are at least 100 meters (330 feet) apart, if they are used within clear sight of each other."

I need to be able to use these in the same interview, obviously not 330 feet apart. I've used older Lectrosonics with different block frequencies with no problem. Should I return either the U30 or U42 and get two with the same channel groups? The salespeople say I won't have a problem (but they could not get a response from Sony) but it won't be the salesman's problem after the return/exchange period expires.

Any help is appreciated.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ty FordRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 4:33:03 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

It's not just the operating frequencies that you need to be careful of, it's also the intermediate frequencies. I'm guessing that this is what Sony is referring to.

Then there's you traveling a lot and the problems with conflicts in different markets. I'd go back to your retailer and express both concerns and ask them for a solution.

If you don't get it, return BOTH mics and shop somewhere else.

Where are you?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David WheelerRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:03:05 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Ty. I'm in Colorado and have been using the older Lectrosonics both nationally and in Europe. One of the Lectrosonics is in the 700MHz range and now banned in the US, so I purchased the two Sony's from BHPhoto. Their sales person said I would be fine, so I asked him to explain the comments in the manual before I was unable to exchange one of them. He was not able to reach a Sony expert, so I'm still questioning.

The Lectrosonics are older UM100 versions which work well, except that one unit now has a banned frequency. Rather than update the Lectro, I purchased two Sony's for about the same price with a couple of cardiod mics that help in some echo-y locations.

David Wheeler
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrowleyRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 4:39:23 pm

It seems to me that you would be in the best position to actually try it and see if there is any problem.

As a general rule, there can be artifacts from operating wireless systems in close proximity. If I were an attorney for Sony, I would make them say that.

OTOH, many of us have seen working systems that feature an absolute forest of antennas, NOT deployed very optimally, which "violate" that rule several times over.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it actually causes a problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ty FordRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:06:06 pm

By all means; fire them up and see what happens!

Ty Ford

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David WheelerRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:07:14 pm

Thanks, Richard. I'm trying to avoid discovering a problem after the return period has expired. I don't do event work, mostly corporate stuff with no interference from other competing systems. If you experts think I'll be fine in most situations, I may keep the two system. I question why the warnings of two systems in different channel groups, but no warnings of two systems within the same block. Seems like the legal beagles would have a warning for both.

David Wheeler
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrowleyRe: Two Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Systems With Different Channel Groups Need 330ft of Separation?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:28:21 pm

The frequencies within the same block are selected to be non-interfering with each other. They don't have that kind of assurance with equipment in OTHER blocks, especially when it is some other brand.

Please be sure and TEST your equipment and confirm that it has no problems. It is not safe to assume everything is OK without testing it. Just as it is not safe to assume that everything is NOT OK just because there is a lawyer's warning.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:26:34 pm

"If you experts think I'll be fine in most situations, I may keep the two system."

David,

Sorry, what gave you that impression? Or is this a case of "a man hears what he wants to hear?"

B&H does have some good phone people, but they don't know everything. When do you want to find out you have a problem, on the set?

An ounce of prevention...etc.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy