Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Canon GL2 Microphone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Harrison HoudeCanon GL2 Microphone
by on Aug 4, 2009 at 2:55:22 pm

Hey, so I am looking for a microphone that will connect to my Canon GL2, I obviously want a better micrphone then the standard GL2 one that it comes with which I have to admit is a pretty good microphone. But I want a microphone that has a little more control, I can use for interviewing or as a boom overhead for when I am shooting regular movies. Wireless would be really awesome but I dont really care. I will be using this microphone indoors, and outdoors for things like interviews, long distance and short distance, and regular scripted scenes etc.

Can you please suggest some good microphones that work with will work with my GL2.If this helps at all, I will be editing in Final Cut Studio obviously on my macbook pro. Thank you.
-Harrison

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam MalleryRe: Canon GL2 Microphone
by on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:08:01 pm

The GL2 has a mini-plug microphone input. This limits your options. You can use the R0DE VideoMic, which is a pretty decent value for $150. It can be used on-camera mounted on the shoe, or you can put it on a boompole. It will sound better than your current on-camera mic. The downside is that if you put it on a boom, you really shouldn't use more than a 10 foot cable to run it to the camera's mic input. Also, some people don't like that the VideoMic wobbles a little bit. The mic is floating on a shockmount, and it tends to sway back and forth a little more than it should.

If you wanted to invest a little more money, you can get this adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/256059-REG/Canon_8032A002_MA_300_Dual...
That gives you two balanced XLR inputs. With that you can use professional shotgun or multiple wireless mic systems.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Harrison HoudeRe: Canon GL2 Microphone
by on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:12:55 pm

Then getting that adapter is a must since I want a really good microphone for what I said I would be using it for in my first post. I am allowed to spend up to $500 CAD so about the same USD. Dont worry about the conversion rate or whatever but 500 dollars is my max so I can spend way more. I should of posted my budget right off the bat. Sorry. Can you help me out now? Thanks.
-Harrison

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:07:33 pm

So with the adapter that leaves you with around $369 or something...

Get this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400806-REG/Rode__NTG_2_Battery_or_Pha...

and this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/267890-REG/Rycote_033042_14cm_Medium_...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:18:35 pm

Sweet! Thanks!! so I have a couple more small questions.

1. Can you use it for interviewing? so take it off the camera and talk right near it.
2. You can put that on a boom stand right for voice acting?
3. What is the use of the Rycotte? Wind? and it doesnt say it can be used with the Rode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 5, 2009 at 2:59:13 pm

1. Can you use it for interviewing? so take it off the camera and talk right near it.

Yes, but you have to be careful not to fiddle with it in your hand. That kind of mic will pick up the sound of your hand rubbing the body of the mic, so if you handle it carefully you can get good audio as a handheld mic. Always have headphones around and always listen to the audio, and always adjust to the situatiuon.

2. You can put that on a boom stand right for voice acting?

Yes. It can be used on a boom. That kit comes with a shock mount, so all you would need is a boompole and a longer XLR cable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392860-REG/Rode_BOOMPOLE_Boompole_for...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68099-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8314_25_3_...

3. What is the use of the Rycotte? Wind? and it doesnt say it can be used with the Rode.

Yes, the Rycote is needed for all shooting outdoors. You shouldn't step outside without one. The model I posted is 14cm and has a medium hole, which fits the Rode NT-G2 perfectly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 5, 2009 at 3:48:52 pm

Hey, so I was looking around and all the links you gave me added up to around 720 Dollars and I then I found this > http://www.amazon.co.uk/RODE-NTG2-MICROPHONE-KIT-BOOMPOLE/dp/B0018CZGQM that is a kit with the boom pole, mic, shock mount, and a wind shield. But the wind shield is a different kind. It adds up to with the adapter to about 620 Dollars. So 100 dollars less. I have 2 questions. 1. Is it worth the differnece of 100 or does it not matter? and 2. does the kit come with a case? I was trying to find one that did cause I saw someone on youtube that bought that and it came with a mic case which is very useful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 6, 2009 at 4:34:21 pm

Harrison, the kit on Amazon comes with a R0DE DeadCat, which is similar to the Rycote, but not as good. The DeadCat will help in a lot of situations, but the Rycote can diffuse stronger winds.

Somewhere out there you can find a kit that has the same mic & boompole, a shockmount, two xlr cables (a short one for on camera, and a long one for boompole work), a pistol grip for handheld work, a R0DE WS6 softie which is like a Rycote, and a shoulder bag that holds the whole thing... for less money than that Amazon kit.

I can't say where you can find this, but it is out there. The CEO of Creative Cow deactivated my account yesterday for posting too many links to a certain retailer. He was kind enough to re-activate my account after a friendly email exchange.

I'm not here to spam. I'm here to help, and I'm here to find answers to my own production questions. Keep researching, and good luck to you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:06:28 pm

Cool, Can you please send me the link to the kit? or what to search for atleast. If you cant post a link here on the forum then email me the link to my email. I dont mind. HarrisonTTE@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]