Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
cowcowcowcow
Bob SimonsSennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Jun 11, 2009 at 9:13:16 pm

I have the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 wireless system, which came with the omni-directional ME2 mic. I have since thought about purchasing the cardioid ME4 mic.

Does anyone have experience enough to make a recommendation here, which could include a different mic choice altogether?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

cowcowcowcowcow
Jordan WolfRe: Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:22:53 am

Both mic types have their uses. The ME-2 will naturally be less-prone to wind noise and doesn't suffer from the proximity effect. The ME-4 will be more "focused" and will pick up less environmental noise but suffers from the proximity effect (exaggerated low-end response from close proximity to the audio source).

Example: I would use an omnidirectional microphone for a wedding. The mic is clipped onto the groom's jacket (somewhere inconspicuous) so that the "I do" from both can be captured for posterity. I would use a cardioid microphone if I was miking a person who is in a noisy environment (city streets, mayhaps) and a shotgun mic won't fit the bill.

Hope that helps ya...

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

cowcowcow
Greg CurdaRe: Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:13:34 pm

One more consideration...

The omni is much more forgiving when it comes to head turns, or any kind of movement by the talent. Also, if you have 3 people and 2 lavs, you have a fighting chance of picking up the 3rd person with careful placement. Cardioid is good if the talent never moves, like newscasts. Cardioid lavs also have a little more reach when used as plant mics.

Lavs are generally less susceptible to BG noise than shotguns, especially if you can put talent's back to the noise. If you can have both, then do it. If I could only have 1, I would pick the omni.

G

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jack NiedenthalRe: Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:02:28 pm

I thought about purchasing the ME4 for situations where there is a lot of BG noise, but I read in various forums that a lot of people don't like this ME4 mic. Is there a suggestion for an alternative mic that can also plug into the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 wireless system?

Jack Niedenthal
Microwave Films of the Marshall Islands
http://www.microwavefilms.org
iMac i7 using Mountain Lion 10.8.x, HPX 170 using only one 64GB card
I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, YOU are my only resource.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffery WrightRe: Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:02:59 pm

Hello Bob,

You have likely answered this question for yourself by this point. If you have not had a chance to experience using a Sennheiser ME 4 Cardioid type mic, I want to let you know about a drawback to that mic head. The construction of the pinning component which secures the mic to the subject is prone to creating unwanted mechanical popping" which can interfere with your recording. The clip for the ME2 is fixed and does not create the same problem. The drawback for me is that I use these mics for live sound reinforcement and in that case, a cardioid (ME4) is desirable to keep down feedback. Just want to pass that info on to you. Hope it is helpful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Liviu FratilaRe: Sennheiser ME2 vs ME4
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:49:59 am

There is any chance to connect the ME2 lav to a digital recorder like Zoom H1?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]