Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Phone EQ

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
LandofNidPhone EQ
by on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:45:32 pm

I was wondering if there is a way to beef up the sound of a telephone conversation recorded through a phone patch. And "By beef up" (Wow such technical terms!) is there a recommended EQ setting I could use as a starting point? Bare in mind of course that telephone line frequencies are very thin when compared to a VO recorded by a mic. There aren't as many frequencies transferred across a thin telephone line cord so the recording leaves less to EQ. What would be the best way to proceed?

I usually use the following audio workflow...
1)Soundsoap
2)Normalize(If needed)
3)EQ
4)Compressor & or Limiter if needed

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time!

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JC BoulayRe: Phone EQ
by on Mar 2, 2007 at 4:00:50 pm

Unfortunately, we can't boost what is no longer there. I really wish we could every time I work with phone audio. The best I've found I could do is to work with a multiband dynamics processor, namely Waves C4, and combine compression of the high-mid and what little highs there are in a phone signal with a slight expansion in the lower mids. That comes after noise reduction, of course. If it sounds really harsh, using a sidechained compressor as for de-essing takes the edge off. I don't compress or limit the result, personally, as anything recorded through a phone is already compressed a fair bit. But I generally hate working on phone audio as I like to output good audio and it's pretty much impossible with phone audio. The damage is already done. There is no magic technique that makes it sound great. If there is, I most definitely want to learn it.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

edward  chickRe: Phone EQ
by on Mar 3, 2007 at 12:22:32 am

Try the JK "Audio Box" or Jake Box. It is a telephone/pro audio interface. Has line level xlr inputs, a null control for the telephone signal. Individual pots for the xlr inputs (3). Has xlr outs, you can use it has a mixer. Signal stays strong and clear.

edward chick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

LandofNidRe: Phone EQ
by on Mar 5, 2007 at 12:57:08 pm

Thanks for your help I will look into it.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]