Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Can't access files on one of my HD's

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave MorrisonCan't access files on one of my HD's
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 1:28:34 am

This problem started in the last couple of weeks. Mac OS is fully updated as is Premiere Pro CS6. I have 4 HD's mounted in my Mac Pro (Boot, Video, Audio and Storage). If I'm in either PPro or Prelude and use Media Browser to access my files, the programs will freeze as soon as I click on the "Storage" drive. The other 3 drives can be searched normally, but as soon as I click on the Storage drive, it shows NO files or folders and within 4-5 seconds, it gives me the Pinwheel of Death and locks the program (either PPro or Prelude….same exact reaction) and I have to do a Force Quit. This behavior is consistent and repeatable, but I'm not sure what is causing it as it's been extremely stable and dependable up until a couple weeks ago.

Here's what I've tried before coming here for help:

1. Ran every disk repair app available to me (Mac Disk Utility, Diskwarrior) but no problems can be found on any drive including "Storage".

2. Ran AJA System Test to see if I could "stress test" this drive….no problems found….read/write speeds look fine.

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled PPro, Prelude and After Effects (did NOT apply any updates or patches) = problem remains.

4. Thinking that the drive might be going bad, I used Carbon Copy Cloner and cloned the old "Storage" drive onto a new HD, slid the new cloned drive into the same drive bay = problem remains.

5. In the chance that there is something wrong with the drive bay and/or connector in this bay, I swapped the position of the new "Storage" drive with one of the other working drives hoping that the problem would follow the drive OR show that the socket is bad = problem remains.

I'm running out of ideas here guys. Can anybody offer something else to try?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: Can't access files on one of my HD's
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 2:28:16 am

My bet is that it's hitting a corrupt file. I assume you're just flipping open the drive and it crashes on the top directory?

Try these two things:

1) Does dragging a file deeper in one of the folders from the drive into the bin of Premiere work without issue?

2) What if you "sanitize" the drive by putting any files that are top level into a folder, can you drill down into other folders using Media Browser?

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul NeumannRe: Can't access files on one of my HD's
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 1:22:55 pm

Have you added any folders (probably at the Finder level) to the root level of the drive recently? Not only a good place to start narrowing down the problem files, but it could be confusing the Media Browser operation. Don't usually see this in PPro, but I had an instance where I added a DCIM folder of some RAW stills to a drive and at that point FCPX would not see the drive. It would load it, show it to me and then just disappear. Once I moved that folder inside another folder the drive and all its media could be seen.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Larry AsbellRe: Can't access files on one of my HD's
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 11:04:22 pm

If there are any punctuation characters in the drive name or in the top level file names, try eliminating them. It's hard to get a definitive list of the illegal ones and some are OK in one OS or app and not in another. But certainly eliminate these:

/ : * ? " < > |

I think these may be a problem in some cases:

, ! { } [ ] % @ # $

also avoid long file names, not sure of the number of characters, maybe around 30.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave MorrisonRe: Can't access files on one of my HD's
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:12:35 am

Thanks for those suggestions, but I don't find any of the illegal symbols in any of my folder names.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:11:39 am

Paul, I'm adding and deleting folders from most of my drives all the time, but it only seems to be the "Storage" drive that is causing PP and Prelude to hang.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:22:22 am

[Angelo Lorenzo] "1) Does dragging a file deeper in one of the folders from the drive into the bin of Premiere work without issue?"

If I understand your question correctly, yes. Using the Mac's Finder window, I dragged a video file into the Project window directly from the "Storage" hard drive and it worked fine. But, as soon as I touched the "Storage" icon in the Media Browser, the lockup happens. Weird, huh?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:31:55 pm

I think what Angelo Lorenzo was getting at when he suggested to:

"'sanitize' the drive by putting any files that are top level into a folder"

is that when you attempt to access the drive, the system has to look at every file on the root level of the drive in order to show you a directory of its content. In your case it's failing to do that, maybe because of a problem file at the top level of the directory. So try making its job real easy by making a new folder and putting in it all the individual files on the top level of the drive. I guess you should also check that you don't have any "twirled down" folders and that your finder view is in list, not column view.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:42:17 pm

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Larry. To your points, I "sanitized" the directory by deleting the 3 files that have been there since 2009 (not video related files, btw) and that didn't change anything. Also, there were no "twirled down" folders and putting Finder into "List View" didn't change anything either. Frankly, I've used Column View since I've used Macs and I can't imagine how the View Preference in the Mac Finder would affect a separate program like PPro. I've been using PPro just fine for the past 12 months. This problem only started a week or two ago.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:12:46 am

Dave -

In no way did I mean that there's anything wrong with twirling down folders. Only that in the moment of your test when you're trying to limit what the media browser sees, it might help. But now that I try it here I see that in any case the Media Browser always re-opens with nothing twirled down.

The next thing I'd test for is if there are stored settings or cache files that PPr accesses at that time that are corrupt. Go into a different user on your Mac, open Premiere there, create a new project and try to Media Browse that drive. If this works, you'll know you've got some caches or preferences in your user that you've got to trash.

The only other thing that I can think of is to start with a fresh initialized drive and copy over the contents of the Storage drive little by little, trying Media Browser between each batch.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 3:11:25 pm

Larry, thanks SO much for your interest in my problem. I spent the evening on the phone with Adobe and the solution was something a bit odd. Turns out the PPro (and Prelude) don't care for a "BPAV" folder sitting in the root of my Storage drive. This is the folder that comes directly out of my Sony EX1 camera. I'm not even sure how this one folder got there as I usually bury them inside of a client's project folder. The tech also said that PPro didn't like folders labeled in all caps, either. However, since I have several folders labeled that way across all my drives, that particular quirk doesn't appear to be widespread.

Anyway, I can now read the Storage drive from the Media Browser but I may test this "BPAV" folder issue by dropping the same folder in the roots of all my drives to see if they quit responding.

Again, thanks SO much for your interest and help.
Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:31:41 pm

Dave -

You're most welcome.

Your very thorough testing and explanation of your initial problem caught my attention and made me interested in following it to the end.

Thank you for the full report on the bizarre cause. Seems like a pretty innocent action to cause a crash. I hope it will get some attention.

Best,
Larry Asbell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2013 at 3:24:46 am

I'd love to know if Premiere Pro CC is afflicted with this same quirk. I still haven't tested the other drives to see if I can screw them up....guess I'm having too much fun actually using all my drives again! ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]