Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Hooban MeyerXAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 1:12:39 am

Hi, I've been shooting extensively with the Sony F55 for the last few months using the new 4k codec XAVC. The camera has been unbelievable, but now comes the question of post.

When we started shooting (3 months ago) there wasn't solid support for the codec in Premiere, but I figured there would be by the time we were ready for post. Last I heard Premiere was supposed to release XAVC support by June 17th, 2013 though I can't find any confirmation online that it has in fact released and is working well for editors.

I'm going into post-production in the next couple of weeks and I need to figure out my editing system and workflow. As always I'm on a tight budget, but I'm looking to build a new PC that can handle a 4k XAVC edit all the way through. I'm going to try to avoid an offline edit workflow and just stay in XAVC from beginning to end.

Does anyone have any experience yet working in the XAVC codec in Premiere and/or After Effects and if so, do you have any advice on workflow and specs for a system?

Thanks for reading and any replies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter GarawayRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:18:40 am

Hi Hooban,

Yes, XAVC is supported natively in Premiere Pro CC which was releases on the 17th.

I'm sure others can provide more info on system configs but I thought I'd let you know that I've seen great performance playing back XAVC 4K 24p on the specs below.

Z820
2.90GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDA GeForce GTX 680

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Hooban MeyerRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:37:20 am

Thanks Peter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 9:14:54 am

I've been working with some 4K XAVC footage in CC this week, I have a 2008 MacPro with Ati 4870 graphics card, performance is fine until you add any filters then I have to drop resolution or render before there is any usable realtime playback. I'm assuming that a faster graphics card with CUDA would do much better.

As a side note I get much better playback with effects added when I edit XAVC in FCPX

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:28:20 pm

[Steve Connor] "
I have a 2008 MacPro with Ati 4870 graphics card, performance is fine until you add any filters then I have to drop resolution or render before there is any usable realtime playback. I'm assuming that a faster graphics card with CUDA would do much better.

As a side note I get much better playback with effects added when I edit XAVC in FCPX"

That sounds like the card that probably came with the system...how much RAM does it have?

Apple has always worked more closely with ATI than NVIDIA so I suppose it would not be unexpected to see FCPX utilize a relatively limited ATI GPU card better than Premiere Pro does (though are you saying that FCPX plays the 4K with effects at full res vs PPro dropping res?).

I don't know how GPU acceleration compares when NVIDA and ATI (AMD) face each other with their newest offerings...I'll be curious to see how the inevitable comparisons fall.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 6:33:31 pm

[Tim Kolb] "That sounds like the card that probably came with the system...how much RAM does it have? "

Just 512mb, I'm honestly surprised 4K works at all!

[Tim Kolb] " (though are you saying that FCPX plays the 4K with effects at full res vs PPro dropping res?). "

No, FCPX doesn't play at full res, but it will play at a better resolution than PPRo, I know this is due to the low specs on my system, although PPro absolutely flies with everything else

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:34:37 pm

Steve -

But doesn't FCPX default to Dynamic Playback mode:
http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter...

...when it plays back realtime footage/effects? In which case it automatically kicks down the rez in the interest of real time? I'm not accusing FCPX of any trickery, just asking?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeWhoops - wrong manual
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:37:34 pm

I posted a link to the FCP7 manual - there may well be a different playback architecture in FCPX - I'd still like to know. Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Maury Covington Jr.Re: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Apr 3, 2014 at 12:56:06 am

I have the latest update for premier cc, but don't see the xavc codec as an option when creating a new sequence or exporting. Do I need to download? Can you send me instructions?

Thank you!
~Maury

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anton SeimRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on May 13, 2014 at 1:47:34 am

Did you ever get a response or find a fix? My XAVC 1080 footage scrubs just fine, but won't play. I don't see the XAVC codec mentioned anywhere in Premiere CC.

Anton Seim
Filmmaker
http://www.doubleapictures.com/anton

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Myles ContiRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 9:22:06 am

Hi, with last weeks release of premiere pro cc you can now work natively with this codec. I just shot a commercial on the F5 in HD, and am editing this footage natively without a problem. Prior to the shoot I also loaded in some 4k footage from the F55 that I downloaded from the web. This footage also opened with no problems.

Myles Conti
Director/Editor
contibrosfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 23, 2013 at 9:25:37 am

I should also add that I did a quick test using adobe dynamic link to send footage to AE for stabilisation, and it round tripped as you would expect any supported codec to work. I'm using an old Mac Pro 2008 model with 24g ram. Working at half res I'm having no performance issues. Early days in the edit, I'll update if anything unexpected occurs.

Myles Conti
Director/Editor
contibrosfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aidan McCarthyRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:53:17 pm

Can Anyone tell me if they have had success at editing XAVC 2k IN Premiere CS6,
I have loaded the plugins from the sony site, (for the RAW Files) as I cant find any other plugin but just can't get the F5 mxf files to import in to the project..
From what I have researched it seems to work fine in Premiere CC, But I don't want to use that, as I have a Copy of CS6 on my machine.
Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 3, 2014 at 1:46:32 am

I could be wrong, but I don't think that it's supported in CS6. In which case you may need to transcode your footage first.

Myles Conti
Director/Editor
contibrosfilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter GarawayRe: XAVC Codec in Premiere Pro
by on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:43:57 pm

For CS6 the options would be to transcode or use the ROVI plug-in (Win only) and I'm NOT 100% sure it does XAVC @ 2k. You would need to check with them.

http://www.mainconcept.com/us/products/plug-ins/plug-ins-for-adobe/totalcod...

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]