Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Newbie (to PPro) questions...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Trevor AsquerthianNewbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:06:53 pm

Coming from an FCP7 / Avid / FCPx background... but liking lots of PPro features....

Is there a:

'Reveal in Project' from source window (i.e. 'find bin') button?

Indication that clip is scaled to frame size?

Possible to Subclip from Media Browser? (also is there an option for Media Browser video to display in source window?)

Implementation of single video window.? (i.e. rather than source *and* record)

Ability to find material outside subclip limits (i.e. match from subclip to master clip, ability to trim subclip beyond its limits etc)?

A way of editing a subclip without affecting any sequences containing that subclip (I guess duplicate is an option)?

Way of viewing multiple tracks in timecode window?

Way of having out of sync indicators work for all parts of a clip (i.e. if I add edits to video track only the first chunk has the sync indicators working)?

Making Vertical movements of clips with keyboard?

Way of having 'mark clip' work in source monitor (to mark whole clip)?

Way of Autopatching? (i.e. I have V on source side and V4 on TL selected - don't make me patch as well.

Way of editing from one sequence into another (i.e. inc patching tracks)

Option to set default option for 4 point editing (ignore source out should be default) and thus not have to bring up the 'fit clip' dialogue?

Separate keyboard shortcut for 'fit to fill'?

Way to view clip label colors on Multicam clip in timeline (instead of green)?

Next/Prevous angle in multicam? (should be cut to and switch to options)

Cut to Angle x in timeline (seem to have to be in multicam window)

Switch to Angle x in timeline (i.e. don't change cut points just switch whole clip to this angle)

Waveforms don't seem to work when nested in Multicam?

Way of automatically adding head / tail fades? (i.e. from CTI to end of clip for tail fade - obeying track selection)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:36:25 pm

I'm on version 5.5, so maybe some of these were added in 6. That said:

[Trevor Asquerthian] "'Reveal in Project' from source window (i.e. 'find bin') button?"
No. But there is a Reveal in Project, but it only works on selected clips in the timeline, not the source monitor. Submit a feature request (I have).

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Indication that clip is scaled to frame size?"
Right click and see if it's checked. Otherwise, I know of no visual indicators.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Implementation of single video window.? (i.e. rather than source *and* record)"
Close the Source monitor.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Making Vertical movements of clips with keyboard?"
No. A lot of people have been asking for it. Feature request time.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Way of having 'mark clip' work in source monitor (to mark whole clip)?"
No. Adobe needs to implement this. And in 5.5 Mark Clip doesn't work on "filler" - does it in 6? If not, feature request time.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Way of Autopatching? (i.e. I have V on source side and V4 on TL selected - don't make me patch as well."
No. Feature request time. This is desperately needed.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Way of editing from one sequence into another (i.e. inc patching tracks)"
In 5.5, you open sequence one, select your clips, open Sequence 2, paste. Hopefully this is fixed in v6, but I doubt it. Maybe v7?

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Option to set default option for 4 point editing (ignore source out should be default) and thus not have to bring up the 'fit clip' dialogue?"
In 5.5, no way to disable the dialogue box. Huge annoyance of mine - I've submitted feature requests to have it removed or an option to "never show this - use checked option as default". Feature request time!

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Waveforms don't seem to work when nested in Multicam?"
Multicam and audio in 5.5 is horrible, and I won't use Premiere for multicam projects because of it. Maybe it's been fixed in 6, but it seems like it isn't.

Those the questions I know the answers to. Hopefully others will chime in with the rest.

In the meantime, submit feature requests to Adobe. Only way this stuff will be fixed/improved is if you tell them to.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Ivan M. SemeniukRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:00:38 pm

Reveal in Project: In the upper right corner of the project bin, click the settings button and select "Preview Area". Highlight a source file in the project panel. The preview area will show a thumbnail and brief description of the clip. Look for the down arrow (triangle); clicking it will open a popup that shows all places where the source file appears in the project (sequence name : clip name : in-point). Clicking on a clip location in the popup will move the playhead to the in-point for the clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom DaigonRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:37:04 pm

I strongly advice you to buy this book. It will help answer these questions and teach you a million other things you should know.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321840062

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:00:59 pm

Or use this page - it's free:
http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html

Or Press the "F1" key inside of Premiere Pro.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Trevor AsquerthianRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:31:47 pm

Thanks to Michael for his answers. I have submitted them to th FR database too. Not sure that a book is going to give me much other than a 'submit as a feature request' :-)

I have spent a couple of days on PPro and am pretty comfortable with it. There's lots of good Internet resources.

Most of those queries were to ensure I hadn't missed anything stupid.

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom DaigonRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:43:55 pm

Trevor, the way FCP and PrP work is radically differentin some areas.. What the book gives you are answers and solutions to the things you bump into along the way. Its nice to be self sufficient.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor AsquerthianRe: Newbie (to PPro) questions...
by on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:03:54 pm

In the interest of anyone coming across this thread in the future (it just popped up in a search for me) - here's the latest answers to some of those questions:

Is there a:

'Reveal in Project' from source window (i.e. 'find bin') button?
There is now a ‘reveal sequence in project’ - I have it assigned to Shift+F - only works from timeline panel, not program panel.
There is now a ‘reveal clip in project’ - I have it assigned to Shift + CMD + F - works with clip selected in timeline AND clip in source panel.

Indication that clip is scaled to frame size?
only right click and view - probably better to AVOID

Possible to Subclip from Media Browser? (also is there an option for Media Browser video to display in source window?)
You can now right click and ‘open in source window’ and then make sub clips

Implementation of single video window.? (i.e. rather than source *and* record)
Move the source panel to the same frame as the record panel. Use ‘toggle source/program focus’ / ‘source monitor’ and / ‘program monitor’ shortcuts, although the latter will cycle through open sequences / clips if pressed again.

Ability to find material outside subclip limits (i.e. match from subclip to master clip, ability to trim subclip beyond its limits etc)?
Still can’t ‘match frame’ to a master clip from a sub clip. BUT when creating a sub clip there is the option to retain access to the full clip when trimming.

A way of editing a subclip without affecting any sequences containing that subclip (I guess duplicate is an option)?
Not sure what I meant by that- seems to be OK now

Way of viewing multiple tracks in timecode window?
No but you can view multiple time codes in the overlays section of the Program Monitor - also works in Source Monitor. Saves screen space too.

Way of having out of sync indicators work for all parts of a clip (i.e. if I add edits to video track only the first chunk has the sync indicators working)?
This fault still apparent on CC2014 v8.0.1 - feature requested

Making Vertical movements of clips with keyboard?
Now appears as ‘nudge clip selection’ up and down

Way of having 'mark clip' work in source monitor (to mark whole clip)?
Still not implemented - CC2014 v8.0.1 - feature requested

Way of Autopatching? (i.e. I have V on source side and V4 on TL selected - don't make me patch as well.
Still not implemented - CC2014 v8.0.1 - feature requested

Way of editing from one sequence into another (i.e. inc patching tracks)
Now working in CC2014 - doesn’t seem to be a way of switching to source timeline view though. - feature requested

Option to set default option for 4 point editing (ignore source out should be default) and thus not have to bring up the 'fit clip' dialogue?
There is now a ‘remember the option’ checkbox. Sort of half-implemented. If you set to ‘ignore source out’ then eventually, when editing a source clip that is shorter than the marked sequence duration an alert box ‘insufficient content for edit’ appears - with no options. Requested that the 4 point options appear below this message in future.

Separate keyboard shortcut for 'fit to fill'?
Still not implemented - CC2014 v8.0.1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]