Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Deinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sean ScarfoDeinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:24:42 pm

Haven't dealt with interlaced footage in a few years, and while I know premiere's default deinterlace option isn't the best, for whatever reason, it seems to be significantly worse than Quicktime or VLC.

( http://viproductions.net/downloads/BonusEPS01.zip 610MB )

If I play this raw footage in VLC or Quicktime, the interlace arctifacts aren't that bad. However, once I bring it into Premiere, I create a new interlaced sequence (lower field order per the file), right click on the clip in the time line, change the field options to always deinterlace, and click ok. The preview window still shows the interlace artifacts. I figure maybe its just a preview issue. When I export as progressive, it bakes in the interlaced artifacts. I thought I was doing something wrong, so I sent this over to another CS6 user, and he gets the same thing.

However, if I use mpeg streamclip to deinterlace, it looks great.

Is there a way to deinterlace this clip in Premiere so that it looks decent?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ann BensRe: Deinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:03:22 pm

Footage looks fine to me.
Set VlC player to deinterlace.
In QT the clip looks awfull
If the final product is dvd, dont deinterlace.
If you want progressive, do that on export.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean ScarfoRe: Deinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:05:51 pm

Did you test the footage in premiere? When I get to 00:36:23 , I see jagged edges.

The footage looks fine before bringing it into premiere. However, if I try to export the footage as progressive, it bakes the interlaced jagged edges into the final product, which is bad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:40:32 pm

I downloaded the clip, this does not look like your average interlaced problem.
It does not look good in vlc player with deinterlaced on.
It does not even look good in Premiere.
Always deinterlace in the Field Options does not do much, normally it should.
CS6 is way better at deinterlacing then its former versions.
How did you capture the clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nevin StyreRe: Deinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:23:38 pm

I downloaded and checked and there is issues stemming from the clip itself. It was encoded 720x480 but it has flags in the file telling it to play back at 1001x593 and that's what premiere thinks the frame size in on import (which would mess up the deinterlace operation).

You can fix the clip with quicktime 7 Pro though, I tried it a couple times and the process is a little odd the way QT sets the visual settings but I think I've developed a process to fix it

Open the clip in QT7 Pro
click View->Double size
click Window->show movie properties
Click on the top track will say the file name "BonusEPS01", click the "Presentation" tab, then Deselect the checkbox next to "conform aperture to:"
Now in the same movie properties window click on the "Video Track", then the "Visual Settings" tab, click the "reset" button
click View->Actual size
File save

After doing this to your file then importing to premiere it worked properly for me, PP sees the frame size as 720x480 and no more odd interlace issues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Sean ScarfoRe: Deinterlacing DV footage in Premiere CS6
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:28:26 am

Thank you. Wow, you are great beyond words. I swear, I've must have tried at least 2 dozen different ways. I saw the weird information in the Premiere properties screen, but had no idea how to correct it. I'm glad I invested in QT Pro a while back.

I owe you a coffee at least. I'm normally an sound editor, so if you ever need audio cleaned up, please feel free to reach out to me as I owe you one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:37:15 pm

I downloaded the clip and it does not look like your average interlaced problem.
It does not even look good in vlc player with deinterlaced on.
How did you capture the clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]