Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Marker info disappears!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Daniel Neutzsky-WulffMarker info disappears!
by on Dec 25, 2012 at 3:12:46 pm

Here is how you reproduce my problem:

If you enter the Metalogging workspace:

Windows -> Workspace -> Metalogging

I am scrubbing through a clip I loaded in the source viewer.

When I make a marker in the clip, you have the option of writing a description of the content of the clip to the right of the source viewer window.

When I enter a description and go on to the next clip to further add descriptions and return, the markers are still there, but the descriptions are gone!

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a bug in the program?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
-------

Ive tried re-installing Premiere Pro CS6 with everything updated, but there is still the same problem.

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (Updated drivers)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel Neutzsky-WulffRe: Marker info disappears!
by on Dec 25, 2012 at 5:13:18 pm

I found an old post regarding this issue. It seems that you can't put markers on merged clips, or at least, the marker info dissapears when you close an re-open the clip.

Furthermore you can't export XML's of merged clips?

- I can't colorgrade the project in a seperate piece of software?

Is Adobe on crack?

I mean, I have around 30 different interviews and NO WAY of keeping track of anything anybody says!

I am working completely blind and have to scrub through clips over and over again to find something I want...

How is this even possible that this error hasn't been corrected???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: Marker info disappears!
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 7:54:53 am

Lets say you have:

Vid1.mov
Audio1.mov

and you merge them and end up with an automatically named
Vid1.mov - merged

What you may not have noticed is that if you add a marker to the original clip in the bin (Vid1.mov in this example) is that you have access to read those markers and title/comments in the merged clip. This is assuming you have some kind of scratch audio on your original video which would allow you to log in this manner. Annoying but hardly a showstopper, and shouldn't really increase your workload or tun-around time.

Concerning XML and merged clips, I think CS6 fixes some issues. I was able to take an XML from Premiere with merged clips and relink it in Final Cut Pro 7 and everything relinked fine. Even right clicking the audio portion of clip in the timeline and selecting "reveal in finder" finds the proper audio source file. They're treated like nested timelines in the bin, but seem to be master clips in the timeline... weird translation but it works.

The one huge speedbump that still remains, if I recall correctly, is how Premiere handles multi-cam exports.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel Neutzsky-WulffRe: Marker info disappears!
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:15:49 pm

It is really quite a big setback when you're editing a documentary. Being able to organize material and tag clips and add descriptions is an absolute must. So yes, this is a major setback for my process.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jessica JonesRe: Marker info disappears!
by on May 15, 2014 at 2:02:19 pm

It's been a while since this thread and I was wondering if anyone has any news on this based on the many recent updates to premiere?

I just spent a number of hours logging in merged clips with the anticipation of making a paper edit, and now they are all gone. It just seems so strange to me that with the number of final cut 7 users now in premiere they wouldn't have better modified their marker system.

Would appreciate any advice on the matter! I shot an interview with my 7D and Zoom h4n, merged the clips in premiere and added markers. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mateo HinojosaRe: Marker info disappears!
by on May 15, 2014 at 7:55:12 pm

So I've come up with an alternative workaround system for using markers in cs6... it's not perfect, and I'm not sure it will directly address this issue, but perhaps it could dovetail with other solutions, and I think some will find it useful for working with this imperfect marker system. Especially when your project has media you want to use for multiple sequences and you want a durable marker note system.

Basically, it looks like this:

My workflow:
1. sync dslr vid & external audio in pluraleyes
2. import xml to premiere
3. place synced interview in a new sequence, which I name my master (I'm coming from FCP7, so I'm thinking of this secuence kind of like I used to think of my master clips)
4. now the synced interview can be marked up with sequence markers that are easily readable and editable, and the duration is quite easy to change with mouse-dragging. Additionally, you can zoom in and out of the sequence to see the detailed marker notes. And you can easily modify the audio by disabling camera audio, etc.
5. then, in order to take pieces of this interview for other sequences, I duplicate that sequence as a temporary scratch sequence, cut up those clips at the marker points and copy-paste them into other sequences. I then delete the scratch sequences so I won't start marking that on accident, instead of my master interview sequence.

I'm finding this actually has some advantages over FCP's system, since you can see all of the durations and edit them more easily, as well as read the whole thing in the timeline. I miss the overlays, as well as some other features of FCP, but alas, c'est la vie.

I'm just experimenting for the first time with this system, and so far it seems to work well, but I don't know about exporting xml, chapter marker conversions, etc. There may be implications down the line that I am not foreseeing, and feedback is quite welcome. Anything I'm missing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]