Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Uncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tad SeeleyUncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:28:56 pm

I've visited the Buy site and wondered if their HP Pavillion Desktop computer would perform well with the Adobe CS6 Master Collection yet after reviewing 'net scuttlebutt info. I'm uncertain;hoping to spend under $800.00 USD for the system. Any experiences to respond with?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Uncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:27:33 pm

Premiere Pro's system specs are here [link].

I'm not sure what your expectations from this system are, but you can easily spend $800 on a graphics card, or on RAM, or on a RAID, or even on a single CPU. Spending $800 on the whole system may mean some compromises.

What are the specs of the system you're looking at, and what sort of work do you hope to do with it?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tad SeeleyRe: Uncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:48:08 pm

Thanks for your response. I agree that $800.00 isn't much to begin with and I could spend close to three times as much on a pen-N-tablet or 3-D software yet I'm presently focusing on the ADOBE Master Collection package and a Wacom tablet so I'd like to get a basic computer where upon I may build as I go (ie. powerful graphics card,a printer/scanner combo.,more RAM,etc.,etc.) in the future.

I'll content myself with focusing on spot illustrations,print and electronic page layouts,correcting images or photos,modest graphics and compositing or storyboarding while I'm learning about the functions and nuances of photoshop and illustrator;disciplines that I perform with conventional materials,that I have practiced on my own and attended art school for(where we had a course with an AMIGA computer).

Film/video/motion editing,while interesting and the Adobe programs for this appear intriguing,is something that I can train for or practice in the future,especially since I won't have the means for a professional camera any time soon.

All that I can find on the 'net regarding similar topics is 'building my own computer' which I definitely don't have the means for.

Again Mr. Soyka,thanks for your response.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tad SeeleyRe: Uncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:27:35 pm

As for the specs I've been to Adobe Tech Spec page for the Design Standard/Production Premium and Master Collection multiple times. The Master Collection and a How-to-build-a-better-computer for an ultimate CS6 photoshop system article which calls for 16GB (Kingston or Crucial manufacturer's names)of Ram rather than the minimum of 8-12,two HD's and two SSD's of storage (including a scratch disk),a Quadro 2000 graphics card (instead of a $4,000.00 Quadro 6000 card) and a "3.6GHz Core i7-3820 CPU (which turbo-boosts up to 3.8GHz)".

The comments on this article from the naysayers ["This year's attempt at an ultimate PS PC is worse than Adrian's last: technology has moved on but he is still stuck in 1990. There are so many errors and blocks of poor advice I am tempted to simply say, 'Head over to http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#OptimizingPhotoshopCS5 and see how it should be done"] and enthusiasts ["Wish I had found your blog post on the "ultimate PS 6 PC" before I bought a pc a few months ago. I was thrilled to read your post on ZDNet, that specifically addresses my issue."] those in agreement has left me bewildered and intimidated.

The HD Pavillion at Best Buy offers the minimum 8GB for the Master Collection in)memory (which is the maximum capacity),6 MB of cache memory and 2 TB hard drive,64 bit processing (rather than 32),HD 2000 Graphics controller model,Intel Core i5 processor.
>I am uncertain of the applicable meaning of half of these nomenclatures<

As I typed earlier perhaps I can add to what I need past the basic requirements in the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Uncertain about what type of PC desktop to purchase for operating Adobe CS6 Master collection package.
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:51:19 pm

[Tad Seeley] "The HD Pavillion at Best Buy offers the minimum 8GB for the Master Collection in)memory (which is the maximum capacity)"

RAM is used as the computer's scratch pad. Consider it working memory, where the images you are working on now can be loaded and quickly manipulated. RAM is not permanent, so anything that you wish to save must be pushed off to the hard drive, which is also fundamentally a kind of memory, but is drastically slower.

Whenever your computer runs out of RAM, it looks for pieces of information in RAM it doesn't need right now, writes them out the the hard disk and frees the RAM. If it turns out the computer needs that item in RAM again, then it must write something else out the hard disk, free some RAM, read the original information from the hard disk into RAM, then free the space on the hard disk.

This use of hard drive space as temporary memory is called virtual memory, and the process of moving things back and forth from RAM to disk is called swapping.

Swapping lets you do more with your computer by avoiding out-of-memory conditions, but it comes with a big trade-off: speed. Swapping is very slow, as anyone who has ever watched an hourglass cursor and listened to their hard drives chatter whilst switching between programs or documents can tell you.

This is especially true in large-format image work or in video work (which is fundamentally a huge sequence of still images). These applications tend to require lots of RAM for peak performance.

A maximum of 8 GB of RAM will not leave you any room for expansion -- and as above, RAM is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to improve performance. Can you find any similar systems that will accommodate more RAM in the future, even if they aren't pre-loaded with it?

[Tad Seeley] "64 bit processing (rather than 32)"

64-bit is a must -- not because it makes the CPU faster (sometimes 64-bit processing is slower than 32-bit processing), but because it allows you to address more RAM.

Think of RAM like a whole lot of slots, each one with a numerical address. To find a particular piece of information in that system, you must know its address.

When counting the number of bits in a system, it's like digits. If we have only 1 digit, we can only count from 0-9. By adding a second digit (the tens digit), we can count from 0-99. By adding a third (the hundreds digit), we can count from 0-999. Each digit we add increases our ability to count tenfold.

A 32-bit system can only count enough memory addresses to use 4 GB of RAM. A 64-bit system can theoretically address something like 16,000,000,000 GB of RAM (yowza!).

[Tad Seeley] "HD 2000 Graphics controller model"

This is the lowest-level integrated GPU available from Intel. If the system has a 16x PCIe slot, you can replace it with a more performance-oriented GPU like an NVIDIA Quadro later -- but even consumer-class GPUs from ATI and NVIDIA will outperform the HD2000 in Photoshop CS6.

[Tad Seeley] "Intel Core i5 processor."

This is the CPU -- the main processing chip. It's in the middle of Intel's consumer line of processors. This is probably the hardest thing to upgrade in a system, so it might be worthwhile to step up to an i7 quad-core.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:20:45 pm

Thank you for your time and information Mr. Soyka.
Now I have a lot of information to review and decisions to consider.

I think storage or space is why Adobe developed some programs for subscription regardless of what package is purchased from them which means more money spent on a monthly basis for these Adobe services.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:28:22 pm

You're welcome -- and good luck!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS