Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

What components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul BooneWhat components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:06:01 pm

I've heard there are issues with running Premiere specifically on a Mac, unless you have a certain graphics card or.. is there anything else? I heard there were 3 specific graphics cards needed from different forums, and mine is not one of them.

I have 4 iMacs, which was new at the beginning of this summer (Mid 2011)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I work for a summer camp and we've used FCPX this last summer and FCS the 2 summers before. FCPX isn't great for collaboration with my 2 assistants, and with the huge amounts of footage and projects its just not good for our needs. I'm still working here during the fall and spring, and would like to switch to Premiere (and whole creative suite) now if we'll be using it for the 2013 summer.

Our media budget is really just for the summer so I don't think I can upgrade our computers until then.. so with my current system, would Adobe work or will I have too many issues? It sounds like the Mercury Playback engine won't work with my graphics card, so should I stay with FCPX until I upgrade? I really want a whole creative suite.

I do have a MacPro just sitting here.. MacPro4,1 I think, with no Thunderbolt or monitor. I have a G-Raid Thunderbolt drive that I couldn't use with it as well as 4 new iMacs with the same specs listed above. Is there any way to use my new iMacs as a dual display for the MacPro.. and/or also use my G-Raid??

Thanks for your help!
Paul Boone

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: What components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:54:07 pm

[Paul Boone] "FCPX isn't great for collaboration with my 2 assistants, and with the huge amounts of footage and projects its just not good for our needs."

It might make sense to sort out the priorities first. The FCPX-Pr move is a big deal - the learning curve, figuring out the workflow. The graphics card and the associated GPU acceleration are there primarily for performance - and while that's important, it seems that your priority is to make collaboration with your assistants smoother.

I am not sure Premiere Pro is any better at this vs. FCPX, at the moment - but that depends on what you need exactly, in terms of collaboration.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BooneRe: What components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:24:54 am

Ok, that's good to know that premiere wouldn't be much better for collaboration. In the summer this is important to me but if they're equal I'd rather use Premiere.

I want a whole suite that I can roundtrip in. I do animations in AE and photoshop for photography. I liked FCS because I could use all the applications together. FCPX with the way it interacts with other apple media software is just not appealing to me.

I'm starting to do freelance work while I'm just working part time at the summer camp in the off season so I can use all their equipment. I want to use software that will be valuable in getting a job and making money. I know FCS, which some people use and everyone else in my area (Vancouver) seems to use Adobe and some use Avid, which is too expensive and isn't really appealing to me.

So, my priorities are a software that will make me money in the film industry. I don't really see apple having a future in the professional world, but more for hobbyists. I'd start Premiere for camp as well so I can learn the software well. So will Premiere be significantly slower than FCPX with my computer system? Are there any glitches? Any problem with round-tripping?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent DunnRe: What components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 5:45:27 pm

Adobe usually posts specs on their site. You might want to go fishing to find the info.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas MorseRe: What components in my iMac do I need to run Adobe CS6 with Premiere & AE? Are there issues?
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:54:58 pm

Your iMacs are certainly up to snuff. If you use a lot of complex effects, you may not be able to realtime preview, but will either 1. Need to render first or 2. Use the decreased resolution playback option in premiere. Unless you're shooting RED footage, you'll be fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]