Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Capture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erin LevinCapture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 5:46:28 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to capture & log footage from my hard drive from a P2 card and CS6 is saying that the capture device is offline.

But I can see and ply the video files in the media browser so I know they are relating somehow.

Please help!

Thanks so much,
Erin
erinjlevin@gmail.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Capture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:12:54 pm

You don't "capture and log" footage from tapeless media. You use the Media Browser to find it, and then drag it from there into your project window or bin. Done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erin LevinRe: Capture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:49:40 pm

Gotcha, thanks! Sorry I am coming from FCP.
So how do I actually import the files from raw on one hard drive to .mov and editable on another to give my editor?
And how can I "log" the footage to make it easier for my editor in edit?
Many thanks,
Erin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Capture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:03:58 pm

You don't convert the footage. Premiere pro is very different than FCP...it works with the footage natively. You don't need to Log and Transfer, you just Media Browse and bring in the footage directly. You work with it as MXF...not MOV. I hope your editor is using the same editing system.

OK...well, I'm only half right. You CAN log the footage and transfer it to MOV if you want. You need to use Adobe Prelude to do that. That comes with CS 6. But unlike FCP, you can't convert it to MOV in the native format (DVCPRO HD) or to ProRes...you can convert it to any number of options, but know that Premiere Pro, unlike FCP and Avid, doesn't have it's own codec. So you'll be converting to OP1A MXF, or MPEG-2 if you use this option. And with this interface you can "log and transfer" the footage...pulling only selects of what you want, naming it what you want.

But normally you just copy the card over to your media drive, and access it natively. Or you can Prelude and convert the footage. That's an option new to Adobe. Just know that your workflow will not be the same as it was with FCP. It's going to change quite a bit, and you need to learn the Adobe way of doing things.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erin LevinRe: Capture & Log Problem in CS6. "Capture Device is Offline" for P2 Card?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:08:54 pm

Shane, this is so helpful!
Thank you very much :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:34:03 pm

Hi again Shane,

Okay so my Premiere came with everything BUT Prelude. I have Bridge, Encore, Ext Manager and Media Encoder.

It also doesn't look like you can purchase Prelude on its own? I must be doing something wrong. Is there any chance I can call you to have you help walk me through this?

Thank you SO MUCH! My film is about the African Children's Choir so you are helping many kids in need by helping their tech challenged producer :).

Best,
Erin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:45:23 pm

And this is CS6? What bundle did you get? The Production Premium comes with Prelude.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:47:14 pm

Yep. I just got Premiere, not a bundle. Since it's for a non-profit I got it discounted through Adobe's partnership with Tech Soup...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:48:06 pm

Then you just need to work with the footage natively then. No worries, it's pretty straighforward.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:48:07 pm

So without Prelude am I able to at least rename the clips in Premiere?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:43:28 pm

You can rename them...only....I'd avoid doing that. Because if you ever need to reconnect them you'd be hard pressed as the names differ. Add your notes to a COMMENT field or other field, and leave the names alone. The media manager in Premiere is far worse than FCP...and FCPs wasn't good. So avoid doing things that jeopardize the connection, or ability to reconnect.

IMHO

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:50:08 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]