Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Editing AVCHD files?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Anthony WebsterEditing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:49:10 pm

Hi, I've got a GH1 camera that I will be working with in AVCHD format. I remember reading somewhere that you should transcode AVCHD files before editing to prevent further degradation when editing / adding titles / ect... Is this true or still the case with Premiere CS6? I also read that editing AVCHD files are a lot more CPU intensive. So, should you transcode AVCHD files before editing, and if so, what is the best way to do it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve BrameRe: Editing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:12:05 pm

Yes, editing AVCHD files, especially on a less able computer, can be trying, so transcoding is still the way to go for many. On the PC, the two most recommended are Cineform and Avid DNxHD. Avid's solution is simply a free codec download while Cineform's has a cost involved.

-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anthony WebsterRe: Editing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:01:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on OS X. What solutions are there for it? Is it true about the editing of AVCHD files in Premiere that you lose quality when performing different actions such as adding titles?

Also, how do separate apps compare to just transcoding with Premiere or After Effects or another Adobe app? I would rather transcode with an app that I already have if possible instead of getting another App just for it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve BrameRe: Editing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:25:20 pm

Typically for the Mac the codec of choice is Apple ProRes, but I'm not sure if you have to have FCP onboard to install the write capability of that codec or not. A lot of it depends on the capabilities of the computer. A properly built, well-tuned computer can make all the difference in the world with AVCHD editing.

-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John-Michael Seng-WheelerRe: Editing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:40:11 am

[Anthony Webster] " Is it true about the editing of AVCHD files in Premiere that you lose quality when performing different actions such as adding titles? "

No, that is not true. However, you do lose quality (albeit a very very small amount) by transcoding before editing.

Which route you take depends entirely on what kind of computer you have.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anthony WebsterRe: Editing AVCHD files?
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54:57 am

Awesome, thank you for the replies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy