Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

CS6 on an Imac

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jon FelixCS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 22, 2012 at 10:28:28 pm

I have read everything on the discussion about the AMD 6970 card in the iMac and compatibility with the Mercury playback engine thingy (yes everything!). And I have done that hack where you manually add the card to the opencl_supported_cards.txt file:
http://scruffythinking.com/notes/2012/5/8/mercury-playback-and-the-27-imac....

When I run Premiere, after a moment, the whole computer crashes and I have to restart. I read somewhere that someone else experienced that too. But does anyone know why? and whether there really is a way to make my iMac work CS6 properly?

Many thanks for any ideas,

Felix

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: CS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 6:09:38 am

If you remove it from the cuda text file, does Premiere behave properly?

Have you made sure your drivers for the 6970 are up to date. Granted, the nice thing about Apple is their hardware is fairly uniform so if others have gotten it to work, you should as well.

With that said, how much video RAM do you have? Some iMacs have 1gig while others have 2gigs. That may be the deciding factor. The hacked nVidia cards are recommended to have 1gig or more and that recommendation may carry over in this situation.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon FelixRe: CS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 4:52:27 pm

Hi Angelo,

Many thanks for your reply.

All drivers are up to date and the card has 2Gb of VRAM. Just a clarification; you mentioned removing it from the CUDA text file ('cuda_supported_cards.txt'). But following the instructions I found, I have been adding it to the 'opencl_supported_cards.txt' file. Should it be in the Cuda one instead/as well? And to answer your question, when I removed the 'ATI Radeon HD 6970' addition from the opencl text file, the computer no longer crashes.

Felix

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: CS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 6:58:32 pm

CUDA is for Nvidia cards. OpenCL is for ATI/AMD cards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo LorenzoRe: CS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 9:30:46 pm

No, I mistaken in my reference to the CUDA file. Beyond that, I'm stumped as to why it wouldn't work when added to the OpenCL file unless there were hardware revisions or some other issue.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:51:51 pm

Sorry you're stumped! Hoped you'd have the answer!! FYI - I am not the only one who experienced a complete computer crash when carrying out this hack.

jon

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GaudioRe: CS6 on an Imac
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 5:46:30 am

You are not alone - it happened to me on my iMac as well - good 'ol kernel panic! I had to switch back to non-hacked software only...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:42:49 pm

Adobe just told me they have no plans to support the 6970 on the iMac.

This is disastrous! I bought the iMac specifically to make the transition from FCP to Adobe Premiere. It's great software (now) but runs slower (without that Mercury thingy) than FCP7. Do I really have to learn FCPX?! Please NO!!!!

C'mon Adobe .... we know you hate Apple .. but so many of us still love their hardware (if not their attitude to the Pro market). We really are not going to change over to PC's en masse! Surely if you can support those other AMD graphics cards, you can support the one in the iMac?

Please .. someone from Adobe respond!!

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:56:24 pm

Who, exactly, told you that?

Though I can't tell you exactly what changes we will be making in future updates, I can say that it is urgent that I know exactly who gave you that bad information.

BTW, your comment about us hating Apple is utterly false... and frankly insulting. I'm typing this on a Mac, and nearly every computer that I can see when I look down the hall is a Mac.

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:53:22 pm

HI Todd,

Thankyou so much for your swift response! Gosh ... I have spent some two days trying to get information about this issue, should have posted my appeal here in the first place!

And apologies .. I did not mean to be insulting.. great to hear you still use Macs. I was obliquely referring to the fact that all the excellent training videos on the Adobe TV website seem to be using a PC (HP's). Of course I since found out that HP (and nvidia) were sponsors of that site - so no surprise there.

You will understand that former FCP editors already suffer from a pervasive sense of betrayal and frustration (not least at having to learn vast amounts of new stuff - and no-one pays us for this). So when we find that our super new iMacs don't run Premiere that fast and that the graphics cards in them are not supported, you will understand the further contribution to a sense of paranoia (or is that just me?).

I have spent much of the morning on hold to Adobe, and in three separate conversations (one with the Chat facility) was given the information I have: The CHAT person said that was as far as she knew, there were no plans to support iMacs.

Conversation with the second two gentlemen in India was more forthcoming. I have in fact just come off the phone with them (after a 1 hour hold), so my earlier post was not based on their information. The first chap however didn't really understand the issue and assumed that I was getting error messages with the software. He put me on to his supervisor - a most helpful gentleman - who clearly and fully understood the issue and the discussion. He said there there was so much testing that had to be done to cards before they can work with the Mercury thing, that he did not know when and if support would come, but certainly understood the frustration.

Our concern is with the very urgent deadline we have to edit a film combining DSLR, 4k and 5k files. At the moment I am not really able to do this natively as playback is choppy and rendering very slow, as it is all happening in software. Of course I have to take some responsibility as I did not adequately research the compatibility of CS6 with various computers before upgrading the software and buying the computer. But now I am in the awkward position of having to come up with some solution PDQ which may involve having to buy or rent a different Mac, or even (god forbid) a PC. You will understand my sense of barely controlled panic.

I appreciate the response and information that you and the gentleman in India gave me and just hope that compatibility with the AMD 6970 is a high priority for Adobe.

Felix

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:00:33 pm

Please give me the case number for your interaction with our support personnel so that I can follow up with them.

Regarding your performance issues: See this page for resources about making Premiere Pro (and After Effects) work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7
Though there's a lot of information there about what hardware to chooose, there are also a lot of tips about how to get decent performance out of whatever hardware you have.

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:09:32 pm

Was trying to send you that information privately, but can't find the way to do that. FYI - was not given a case number by either system, just names. Perhaps message me and I can respond?

Jon Felix
RAINDOG MOTION PICTURES
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:03:17 pm

Excellent resource. Thanks.

http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>