Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

*** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rick Ag*** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 6:18:24 pm

Hi, I'm so worried that I can't sleep or think, I hired a guy to record a weeding for me and the camera he used had a very low sharpness custom setting, so the result was a video seriously blurred, I'm in panic, none of the Premiere Pro plugins can really do something to make the video acceptable without leaving lines or very visible artifacts, this is beyond than just out of focus
Does anybody knows any other third party plugin or even external alternative software to sharp or fix out of focus, or any advice that can really save my dead body, I leave some samples of the images in raw (not touched)

Even if someone knows any company in L.A. that can do the miracle, please let me know, I have never been so worried
email: ricardoplugins@gmail.com Thank you !!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david fukumoRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 6:25:35 pm

Hi to me it looks like he shot on SD not HD...you can try photoshop but it would literally take you over a week to try a blur/sharpen edges layer technique...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick AgRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:19:54 pm

Yes, it was recorded in SD video but this problem has never happend to me before even with the same camera sony HVR-VX2000, it had a very low sharp preset, but if I try photoshop which of the filters or 3rd party plugins should I use to try to improve the focus ? or o you guys know any other software or hardware that can help in this out of focus problem ?
Thanks you guys

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david fukumoRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 10:53:53 pm

What I think is the guy turned the focus off and was out of focus which is why you can't fix it...

Beyond that issue you can try Red Bullet instant HD that might do something, in photoshop you would create two layers (maybe you can try this in video I've never tried) you sharpen a lower layer not the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you then erase the edges on the upper layer so the middle of the skin is softish and the edges are sharp you do this with a soft brush on about 15-30% opacity so you brush the edges away so it's smooth from sharp to blurry... it creates an illusion of sharpness....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John-Michael Seng-WheelerRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 6:51:11 pm

This looks like pretty standard SD from a SD native camera from the early 2000's, such as a XL1 or 2 or a PD150.

Also, to compound the problem, in your first sample image the camera is focused on the music stand in the background, although the DOF is so big on this kind of camera that it makes little diference.

What you see is what you get. There's basically nothing you can do.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:23:35 pm

it was a sony HVR-VX2000 by mistake using a low sharp user preset, do you know any software, external plugin or hardware that could help to rescue, even a company in L.A. that can do the miracle, I have 4 tapes of this problem
Thanks a lot for your time !!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BorjisRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:34:46 pm

no.

what you see is what you get.

all you can do now is learn from it.

It actually doesn't look too bad for what it is.
if it was really badly out of focus it would have to be reshot.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ann BensRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:35:11 pm

I use to own a vx2100
Does not look that out of focus to me.
You can try this:
Duplicate video track and superimpose.
Add sharpen effect (or unsharpen mask) set it to about 30-50 and lower opacity between 50-70.
Might work, might not.
I used to do this with analog video.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:46:11 pm

unfortunately this was a wedding, not a TV spot, so I can not shoot again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:05:15 am

[Rick Ag] "it was a sony HVR-VX2000 by mistake using a low sharp user preset"

This is not just an issue of low in-camera sharpening, which is a post-processed effect even in-camera (though this would be pre-compression, which admittedly makes quite a difference with DV). The operator is just a little bit off on focus.

It really doesn't bother me that much in the wide shots here. Just a touch of sharpening (Unsharp Mask) or a high-pass filter should make these more tolerable.

Here's a hint for sharpening close-ups: worry mainly about the eyes. A little softness across the rest of the face is usually tolerable (and sometimes even flattering), but most viewers will instinctively watch the eyes of the subject. Do your sharpening in a power window or feathered adjustment layer around the eyes for an instant improvement to the shot without exposing all kinds of nasty compression artifacts elsewhere in the image.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris TompkinsRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 1:57:29 pm

When you make the jump to HD, you'll be amazed at how good your wedding video will look...
Your samples stills are not THAT blurry.
Customer will not even notice in the edit.
It's SD!!!!!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger HendrickRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:52:05 pm

You could also try reducing the noise before sharpening.

Roger Hendrick
The Airship Factory
http://www.airshipfactory.com
HD Video Production - Blu-ray Authoring

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:39:44 pm

Thanks to everyone, the problem is the customer will watch it in a Plasma TV It will look even blurrier, do you think the customer won't really complain ? the reason of why I didn't shoot this in HD was because they could only pay $ 500 for this video (I never imagined going so so cheap)but 4 tapes of this event are that blurry and they will watch it in a plasma TV, I promised a SD video, but I'm really worried if they can sue me, I wonder if is there anyway to protect me from being sued when I deliver the DVDs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne MarxRe: *** Fix or Sharpen severe OUT OF FOCUS ***
by on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:44:20 am

From the screenshots, it's doesn't look *sooo* bad.

Do yourself a favor. Export the video to DVD, and play it on a plasma to see how it looks.

Could be it looks fine - for SD.

Neat Video has a sharpening tool in their noise reduction app that *may* help a little. Try the demo.

Good luck.

W

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]