Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Recording Voiceover: assistance needed

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dylan HargreavesRecording Voiceover: assistance needed
by on May 21, 2012 at 5:50:29 pm

Hi folks,

Remember how recording V/O in FCP was a cinch? Remember that feeling of dread that one day you were gonna have to record V/O into PPro and it was gonna be a huge pain in the ass?

Well that day has come.

I use an Edirol UA-25 hooked up to a condensing mic to record my voiceovers. This plugs into the computer via USB and has always done me proud. But things are happening in PPro that are making it not good.

Firstly, I can record nice clean audio to the track, it's just some things are making it much more of a faff than it should be so I was hoping I'm just doing it wrong and someone can set me straight.

1) Selecting input. When I record I select the Edirol in Audio hardware to pick up the mic. However, it does not preview the input, I only know anything has recorded when I stopped recording and it inserts media into the timeline.

If I try and change Audio Output mapping so I can preview levels etc, it only offers me options of changing the input and output, which means the Edirol is no longer the source.

2) After I've recorded, I cannot hear what I've recorded unless I go back into preferences and select 'default audio input/output.' Which is a massive, massive pain.

I guess my question is, how do I set PPro so the input is the Edirol and the output is the speakers? And how do I preview levels before recording.

Also some further questions - in FCP it is possible to give your V/O recordings a title before recording - so you can align them with your project name, eg Audi Voiceover1, Audi Voiceover 2 etc. Is there a way to do this in PPro?

Cheers in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan DortchRe: Recording Voiceover: assistance needed
by on May 21, 2012 at 8:07:23 pm

Have you tried using Adobe Audition? That's probably the better workflow in the Adobe world instead of trying to do it in Premiere.

JONATHAN DORTCH
SLY SPECTRUM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dylan HargreavesRe: Recording Voiceover: assistance needed
by on May 22, 2012 at 4:45:24 pm

Hi Jonathan,

No, I haven't tried Audition. Principally due to not having had time to get stuck into it, but also because I'm not a fan of jumping outside the software unless I have to.

Will check it out though - are there any good tutorials on it?

D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan DortchRe: Recording Voiceover: assistance needed
by on May 22, 2012 at 5:01:49 pm

I haven't used it too much but I did fire it up to record a VO a few months ago. Worked very well, and simple to use. From what I remember I just hit "Record". It was like a simpler version of ProTools.

After making the jump to Premiere after using FCP since version 2, That's the biggest thing I've learned about the Adobe family of products compared to FCP world -- things work much better bouncing between the suite with Dynamic Link manager instead of trying to force the editing program to do the sound recording (Audition), titling (Photoshop), or animation (After Effects). Working with them all in tandem is the way to roll, and it's actually a very powerful solution once you get your head around the workflow.

I haven't tried to record a VO in Premiere yet, but maybe someone who has more experience with the software can jump in on this. I'm only a few months in with it.

JONATHAN DORTCH
SLY SPECTRUM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]