Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Editing Flip Mino HD video natively (H.264 AVC, 720p, 60fps)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eugene SiewEditing Flip Mino HD video natively (H.264 AVC, 720p, 60fps)
by on May 18, 2012 at 10:33:38 pm

I'm using a trial version of CS6 to evaluate between it and Final Cut X. Everything's super-laggy; importing, editing (especially playback), even bringing up the Title panel is laggy; I have to wait at least a minute before the "spinning wheel of death" clears. I thought CS5 and up was supposed to handle these file types natively? How is it that I can do all these tasks much faster on FCX?

The only reason why I can't make a final decision now is because Premiere (and by extension, Media Encoder) lets me render iBook-compatible MP4/M4V files, or just video files with chapter/Encore markers, something that—ironically—FCX can't do. I want to like Premiere CS6, but this lagging is killing me, and I don't want to have to transcode first in order to edit when I can be up and running with the same files on FCX. I've even tried re-installing the trial and flushing existing render files/cache, and it's giving me the same problems. Help!

(I use a 15.4" MacBook Pro with 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM and 500GB SSD hard drive)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John-Michael Seng-WheelerRe: Editing Flip Mino HD video natively (H.264 AVC, 720p, 60fps)
by on May 19, 2012 at 5:12:48 pm

Well, obviously you have a problem. Premiere should be running swimmingly on an i7 MBP. (I can even run it on my 4 year old MBP. It's a bit slow, but no beach-balls.)

So If we're going to help you, we need details. Details, details, details.

Also, please check the activity monitor when Premiere hangs and see what process is hogging the CPU at that moment, it might tell us something.

JM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John-Michael Seng-WheelerRe: Editing Flip Mino HD video natively (H.264 AVC, 720p, 60fps)
by on May 19, 2012 at 5:18:45 pm

Oh, and before you ask, Yes, I can edit AVCHD natively on that four year old MBP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eugene SiewRe: Editing Flip Mino HD video natively (H.264 AVC, 720p, 60fps)
by on May 21, 2012 at 5:04:10 pm

Ok, after opening an existing project (containing about 1:23 of audio/video, 4 titles and dissolves), it takes at least a minute for the media to "go online" (Premiere doesn't say what it's doing; no "Conforming Media" dialog on the bottom-right or any other indication, just wait until I see the thumbnail in the Project tab). (Hover-)Scrubbing is virtually non-existent, and playback doesn't always work, i.e. it might play a couple of seconds before video hangs (audio continues though). I checked Activity Monitor during playback, and it's reading 120% CPU and 31 threads with 475.9MB of real mem used.

Basically, video "hangs" for a minute or so before I can do anything, though I can still access the options, i.e. editing and rendering. I feel like this wasn't a problem prior to the first time it crashed (sorry for not mentioning that earlier). When re-downloading the trial, I kept getting an "invalid checksum" error on the dmg, even after uninstalling Premiere and Encore and re-downloading the dmg. I'm just shy of reinstalling everything on my laptop, but I'll lose at least half a workday doing that, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 9:47:57 pm

I'd say the crash corrupted something. The Invalid Checksum issue may or may not be related, but you're not the only one getting it. All the people mentioning getting the Invalid Checksum error seem to be downloading trials of CS6 software. I don't see anyone getting that problem with the full versions.

Anyway, it seems like a common problem, so maybe adobe will fix that.
as for your Premiere Problems, I'm guessing a re-install will fix them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 11:44:02 pm

Ok, re-installed by deleting Premiere/Encore with all Preferences, ran Disk Utility to repair permissions, then restarted, started Adobe Download Manager to re-download the DMG which, thankfully, didn't have a checksum error. Fired it up, created a test project, closed the project (which caused Premiere to crash), downloaded and applied the updates, restarted Premiere, opened an old project, and was able to scrub through the video. Used Media Browser to go to a folder containing a bunch of Flip-recorded MP4s, which caused Prelude to kick into overdrive (no thumbnails showed; all MP4s were "Processing"), left that and went back to the project and sequence, but now all the media took the usual amount of time to go back online; in the meantime, I had the same video hanging issues. I'm just shy of finding a copy of CS5.5 to see if that'll solve my problems… It's getting very frustrating.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 1:43:36 am

Well, if you're up for trying again from scratch, I'd update Premiere before opening anything to see if that helps.

Also what version of OSX are you using?

I'll keep thinking about this.... There's something very definitely wrong but god if I know what!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 5:25:06 pm

Ok, re-deleted, re-installed and re-updated everything (had to do that by opening Media Encoder, then Help -> Updates). Opened my existing Premiere project and got the "Media pending" screen again; still no "Conforming Media" progress bar on the bottom-right, so I had to wait a couple of minutes before I saw a video thumbnail again in the Project panel. Still getting the same playback hanging issues. Activity Monitor's showing 113% on playback, which is a *slight* improvement. It drops to 100.5% after pausing, which I suspect is because it's still conforming media or transcoding in the background, but for the life of me I don't know where to find a process monitor in Premiere (FC X has this!)

Does it matter that this is a 53 min MP4 that I'm trying to work with?

I think I'm going to try 5.5 and see if I get any issues.

I'm using OS X v10.7.4.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 5:40:13 pm

The "Media Pending" screen that you see for a while is a factor of the length of the file. With any Interframe media PP takes a bit of time and "Indexes" the file. With MPEG-2, The progress of this it displayed on the lower right. The fact that you don't see anything there is suspicious, but may not be a problem, I don't know. I would need to experiment.

I'm guessing the Indexing process is Premiere reading through the entire file to find the I frames and where the GOPs start and end. It takes a while in your case it takes a while cause it's a long file.

Have you tried just leaving Premiere alone for a while before you start working? I know you shouldn't need to, but maybe something about the mp4 files is making the process take a long time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 5:59:45 pm

Yeah, I tried that one time and it did index (or transcode?) the file completely, or rather the thin bar right below the time marker turned green instead of yellow. I'll try that and hopefully this'll do the trick.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 6:09:31 pm

Wait.... you have a yellow bar over your clips? And it turned Green? That doesn't make sense.

Green means that a preview has been rendered for that clip. It shouldn't turn green under any other circumstances. Did you render a preview? Cause you didn't say anything about that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 6:13:10 pm

Actually, I might have in that one instance, but I thought I'd canceled it. Thing is, I left my laptop alone for a couple of hours that time, and when I came back it had turned green, so I don't know for sure. I've not rendered any previews in all the other instances, and don't intend on doing so; it'd just be the same for FC7 when I had to render audio before I could edit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]