Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

How important is a graphics card for previews?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tristan CookHow important is a graphics card for previews?
by on May 13, 2012 at 8:38:06 pm

I am in process of finding a new computer to edit HD films in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and I was wondering how important a graphics card is for previews and rendering.

I am thinking of buying a computer with 16GB RAM with and an integrated graphics card, but will the RAM compensate for the lack of graphics card and is a graphics card faster?

Is it worth paying a few hundred pounds more for a dedicated card - I don't play games or anything so it would only be used for Premiere and After Effects when generating previews.

Many thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: How important is a graphics card for previews?
by on May 14, 2012 at 8:10:11 am

[Tristan Cook] "I was wondering how important a graphics card is for previews and rendering."

VERY important. Without a good graphics card that enables the Mercury engine, editing many native formats won't be as smooth as you'd like. Without the Mercury Engine, playback can stutter...the machine's responsiveness won't be as snappy as you might be used to.

[Tristan Cook] " but will the RAM compensate for the lack of graphics card and is a graphics card faster?"

It will not compensate. Really, for CS6...any version of Adobe Production apps...you need both RAM and a good graphics card. Not either/or. Both. And you need a specific graphics card to enable the Mercury engine.

[Tristan Cook] "Is it worth paying a few hundred pounds more for a dedicated card"

Yes, it is. One that is rated to enable the engine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]