Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew StoneATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 8, 2012 at 9:12:03 pm

Well someone has managed to get their iMac with a newer onboard ATI GPU to work with PP CS6.

http://scruffythinking.com/notes/2012/5/8/mercury-playback-and-the-27-imac....

Has anyone with an ATI 5770 tried hacking the graphic card file in PP to see if it will work in CS6?

-Andrew

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik MickelsonRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 8, 2012 at 10:34:22 pm

Great! How about results?

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB ram, Lion 10.7.3, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew StoneRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 8, 2012 at 10:41:32 pm

Thanks Erik for the reply. I am asking if someone who has an ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6 installed has tried to text file change that allows a bunch of uncertified Quadro cards and now some ATI cards to work with Mercury Playback Engine.

Not looking for editorial comments at this point.

Thanks.

-Andrew

--

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike MolendaRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 8, 2012 at 11:29:27 pm

Yep. Hacked the opencl_supported_cards.txt, and hardware accelerated MPE is now enabled on my system. I am taking the "trial" part of "trial version" very seriously :)

Haven't put it through any serious tests yet, but it seems to marginally accelerate unrendered playback. Running into the same dropped frame for rendered material issue as people on MacBook Pros, though.

I should also note that I'm using a 5770 on a system that technically doesn't support it (2006 Mac Pro).

If you give it a shot, I'm eager to hear how it works for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 12:23:04 pm

Hi Mike,

That is great news. I parked my ATI 5770 last summer when I moved to an old GeForce 8800 GT that runs CUDA to get PP CS 5.5 to work with Mercury Playback.

Sounds like I will be able to use the 5770 again in my Mac Pro 2.66 (version 1,1) which it sounds like this is the machine you have. Too bad there is a caveat though.

Thanks!

-Andrew

--

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 12:40:01 pm

I have also heard that you need to be on Lion (10.7) for the OpenCL enhancements to work. So don't crack open your machine unless your OS is up to date! I remember the 5770 is kind of a pain to get in and out of the slot.

I primarily use Snow Leopard, but I'm running the CS6 trials on a Lion HD that I have in Bay 2.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben EdwardsRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 16, 2012 at 9:42:46 am

I have a 5770 in my Mac Pro (its actually the PC version). About my Mac the card shows up as a 'ATI Radeon HD 5000' and I have put this at the end of opencl_supported_cards.txt. I have also tried 'ATI Radeon HD 5770', 'ATI Radeon HD 5000M' and 'ATI Radeon HD 5770M'. I stoped and restater Premier Pro but still cant get MPE working. Any ideas?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

Macpro1,1 2007 6GB RAM 2*2 3Ghz Xeon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 16, 2012 at 12:56:07 pm

I'm certainly no expert on this, just managed to successfully get it working with my Apple-supplied 5770. So I make no promises.

I don't remember there being the "ATI" before the name of the card in the txt file. Like it just says "Radeon HD 6750M" and "Radeon HD 6770M," and you'd add "Radeon HD 5770" at the end. Or maybe it's got an "AMD" instead of the "ATI"? Don't know, don't have access to my CS6 machine at the moment. I do remember that what I put in matched the formatting of the cards that were already listed there.

Also, you have to be running 10.7 Lion for the OpenCL acceleration to work at all! Regardless of whether you're on a supported or unsupported card.

That's about all I can think of. Personally, I probably would have given up at this point, so best of luck to you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas MorseRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 9, 2012 at 1:43:33 pm

I have a mobility 5850m in my iMac. Can you give the steps to 'hacking' the txt file (though the card shows up as an HD 5750 in About this Mac) It has 1GB of VRAM, which is I think essential for the CUDA acceleration on the graphics card I think...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 2:38:39 pm

It looks like the video Andrew linked in his original post walks you through it. Just substitute the name of your card for the Radeon 6970M the guy in the video is using.

I did mine through some trial and error. I could do this since I'm on a trial version on an expendable additional OS installation, and wasn't too worried about screwing things up.

All told, you probably should avoid doing this if you have a paid version installed on your primary drive. But if you want to take the gamble, it's better to follow the instructions of someone who appears to know what they're doing than someone like me who basically stumbled through it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 3:12:03 pm

I've got a secondary firewire boot drive. Since I'm in the middle of a project, I'll try 6.0 (and the hack) from there with a clean install. If it works, I'll start using 6.0 exclusively. If not, I can go back to my primary boot drive where 5.5 is installed (and revert to a previously saved version of the project if need be)

From what I understand, unlike FCP, you can go back and forth with the same project between the two versions. I've also noticed that despite being a .0 release, people are NOT reporting a lot of bugs/crashes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik MickelsonRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 9, 2012 at 3:21:24 pm

You obviously have not been reading the cow. There are many freezes and crashes with CS6, mostly on Macbook Pros. Windows is probably better. There is already CS6.01 we just do not have it yet. Someone already has it on the Red user forum. Buggy buggy so far.

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB ram, Lion 10.7.3, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 4:28:05 pm

Is it possible to have cs6 and cs5.5 on the same drive?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 5:04:01 pm

I would test going back and forth between CS5.5 and CS6 first, especially if you are mid-project! I know CS5 and CS5.5 projects are back-and-forth compatible without too many issues, but I'm not sure about CS5.5 and CS6. I've managed to open CS5.5 projects in CS6, but I haven't tried going the other way around.

And remember, you've got EDL and XML output options, too, so I don't think you could get too hopelessly stuck.

And yes, it should be possible to have both versions running on the same drive. If you've got an update installer for CS6, supposedly it searches for a previous install of CS5.5 so you don't have to re-enter the serial number.

Performance reviews have been mixed, it seems like PC users are having an easier time with the upgrade. David Lawrence wrote a Creative Cow article on his first impressions. They seemed pretty positive, and it looks like he was on a Mac. An older MacBook Pro, at that. I haven't run into much trouble on my Mac, even with my repeated tinkering, but I haven't put it through any strenuous start-to-finish tests yet.

I think a problem people are running into is that the OpenCL acceleration still needs work, and they are reading that as a step backwards in performance. But the software-only Mercury Engine has definitely improved from CS5.5. And choppy OpenCL performance is a step up from absolutely no OpenCL support whatsoever, in my book.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben EdwardsRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on May 16, 2012 at 9:45:22 am

Hi,

Can you tell me exactly what you added to the file, I tried but cant get it working.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

Macpro1,1 2007 6GB RAM 2*2 3Ghz Xeon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David HoareRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:51:26 am

Where im working at the moment we have been testing CS6 on 2 different machines.
- HP Z800 workstation with an Nvidia 4000 card and Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3d+ Card.
- Mac Pro fully speced with tons of ram and the ATI Radeon 5770 card. Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3d+ Card.

The footage that we edit is either 5D Mach 3 or RED.

The Z800 hasnt given me a moments grief, its solid as a rock. We have new editors working on it everyday and none have had any issues.

The Mac pro on the other hand.....
It was updated to Lion in order to take advantage of the Open CL. Since then we have installed all updates for CS6.
All the eidtors that use the machine come up with issue after issue with playback. The external monitor will be out of sync, the playback has to be on 1/4 and even then it plays back at an unworkable frame rate. Its been a nightmare.
So my solution this morning was to turn off the Open CL and use Mercury as software only. BAM! Works like a charm.

So my experience suggests that the 5770 graphics card just can't handle being used. So ill be upgrading to the NVidia card, to match all our other machines.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Matt WalkerRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on Dec 16, 2012 at 11:04:44 am

Hi all, apologies for perhaps regurgitating an old thread but I'm really interested in this.

I've got a Mac Pro (Early 2008) running OSX Lion 10.7.5 and have the ATI 5770 - is there a quick link you can send to me about the accelerated mods I can make.

I'm running CS6 on my home machine and the edit machine at work is a PC with an insane set-up, would be nice if I could bring some edits home to tinker with on an evening.

Cheers all, once again, hello!

Matt

I came, I saw, I shall take copious notes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron RosapepeRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 7:29:37 pm

Hi Andrew,
I am in the same situation and was wondering how your testing went. Were you able to get the mercury engine working with the 5770?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:04:08 am

Hi Aaron,

I heard from enough people that the implementation of Open GL (CL) is still tentstive in PPro CS6 that I didn't bother.

I'm going the PC route with a GTX 580 or equivalent.

--

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron RosapepeRe: ATI 5770 and Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:31:30 am

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS