Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Imac or PC for CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Edward StevensImac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 5:26:58 pm

I need to upgrade my system. I will be getting CS6 and need to know if the iMAC running window7 will be the best or should I get a Beefy PC.
You can't get the recommended display cards with the iMAC. If I do get a PC, which is the best display card?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
ED

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron PestesRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 5:41:00 pm

I changed over from a MBP to a Dell M6600 laptop for CS 5.5 last fall and it works great with a M3000 cuda card. I edit EX and AVCHD footage and it plays in real time with three layers with effects. Have not tried four layers yet. I highly recommend a PC with the best cuda card you can get.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom DaigonRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 5:43:03 pm

As a current Mac Pro owner, I would suggest getting a PC :D

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris BorjisRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 6:07:47 pm

If I was at a cross-roads between mac & pc I'd pick PC
since apple will likely be abandoning production of macpro
tower systems in the near future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 6:11:58 pm

At least wait till the end of Q2 as Apple is about to update...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dustin ParsonsRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 6:27:00 pm

[Chris Borjis] If I was at a cross-roads between mac & pc I'd pick PC
since apple will likely be abandoning production of macpro
tower systems in the near future.

[Tom Daigon] As a current Mac Pro owner, I would suggest getting a PC :D

Is there anything dictating your decision other than pure speed? I personally hate Windows and would rather buy a slightly slower Mac because I like the OS. However, if CS6 is going to struggle on anything other than a sizzle core I might have to bite the bullett and and start looking at... *sigh* Windows machines. Right now I'm running a MacPro 2x2.8Ghz Quad with 16GB of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, so hopefully CS6 will run smoothly for the time being – I might just have to upgrade my video card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 3, 2012 at 7:41:13 pm

ya, apple left a lot of us out in the cold when they released final cut x.

an insider revealed the macpro tower will be end of life with possibly
one more release then imacs only. Apple is already late in releasing
a macpro with the latest intel processors...they used to produce
them ahead of everyone else.

It might be possible to work with imacs in the future via thunderbolt,
but maybe not.

I'm in no hurry to switch to pc. our facility has been mac centric
for the last 20 years. But one must adapt to stay competitive.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2012 at 8:25:09 pm

Generally speaking, the faster the computer (processing wise), the faster the export. This is bit bit simplistic in that there can be other factors depending on the sequence. But generally speaking this is the caveat that is steering me to a custom built PC from ADK.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith BradleyRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 8:28:58 pm

I woke up one day and said that's it I'm switching teams. Between FCX and the lastest lion OS messing with my stuff my fanboy lust for apple was broken. Windows works at least as good as a mac for tv and it doesn't matter what OS you use. I know I have been editing on computers since day 1,editing tape since day 1 of tape. The HP Z800 is sooo flexible for adding ram and cards I put in 40gb ram and that's only a quarter of the capacity. It's the fastest most rock solid computer I have ever worked on. CS6 is built to take full advantage and I can't wait. There is a HP story in the creative cow magazine back issues, I encourage you to read it.
And you don't need a z800, HP makes kickass machines at really great prices. I do not work for them, btw.
Keith Bradley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2012 at 8:39:01 pm

Keith, glad to hear you are enjoying the switch to PC land. I am headed in that direction as well.But Im getting mine from ADK, a turn key system builder and users of CS6. I had a lot of questions relating to both Premiere Pro and the PC. The have been very helpful in customizing one to my specific work flow needs. I did spec out a top of the line Z820, but $14,000 was a bit more than I wanted to pay. :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith BradleyRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 8:59:45 pm

Ya Tom, there aren't too many individuals out there with pockets deep enough for top of the line HP's. The one thing about mac was if I was going to invest in a machine I want to know I can expand it any which way and it won't chart a new course in 5 years leaving me high and dry. I didn't want to be locked in to the wims of apple's os and hardware. Give ME the control over the hardware. Sounds like that might have been your thought process.
Keith Bradley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2012 at 9:01:17 pm

Exactly my thought processes.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin RoseRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 11:02:12 pm

You could just upgrade your graphics card to a quadro4000 for Cuda Acceleration.
I know that when I went from a gts8800 to a gtx460 on a 2008 PC the difference was night and day

Martin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edward StevensRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 3, 2012 at 11:48:23 pm

Can you recommend a PC that won't break the bank? I've been away from PC s so long that I am not sure which is best.
Thank for everyones posts.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 4, 2012 at 12:04:31 am

Might look into Dell refurb workstations

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron PestesRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:10:05 am

Yes, I got my Dell M6600 through the refurb idea and it looked brand new when i got it. Saved about 1800 off list too.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed StahrRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:32:40 am

If OSX 10.7 and Windows 7 are in evenly matched systems, the Windows Machine will run CS6 faster.

The way Windows 7 interfaces with the video card allows for markedly faster speeds in AE and Premiere.

Make sure you have plenty of wattage in the power supply to handle a decent CUDA graphics card and get plenty of RAM.

You can build/buy a very solid PC for the cost of a 27" iMac with all the trimmings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 9:41:37 pm

[Ed Stahr] "The way Windows 7 interfaces with the video card allows for markedly faster speeds in AE and Premiere."

even with the new mercury transmit?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed StahrRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 6, 2012 at 3:12:39 am

At an NAB breakout session a presenter went through this in some depth. OpenCL support in CS6 for the Macs will give a significant speed boost over CS5.5, but the way that the Windows OS interacts with the video card will give it the edge on performance.

This isn't too surprising. There is a reason that games has always performed better on Windows. DirectX and API's for getting access to the hardware.

Of course, there is more to consider than pure speed. Stability, virus and malware control, software and apps you have already invested in, etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim WisemanRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:17:59 pm

Then why doesn't Adobe just say they are abandoning Mac and get it over with. Then we can all move to Avid where they learned that lesson the hard way. Windows absolutely sucks!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.0 and 5.5, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan LloydRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 5, 2012 at 11:11:02 pm

I believe you have the question mis-stated.

Why doesn't Apple admit they're abandoning their serious pro user base?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2012 at 12:10:31 am

+1 Alan :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ramin MohammadalikhaniRe: Imac or PC for CS6
by on May 25, 2012 at 11:09:38 pm

I am not as professional as you guys so I am not stressed to have quick support if something goes wrong with my system. I am also switching from Mac Pro to a PC workstation (from FCP to APP). I build and maintain my own system. For

$1800 for 2 x Xeon X5670: six cores 2.93ghz each (bought used)
$350 EVGA SR-2 (bought used)
$150 EVGA GTX 480 (bought used)
$250 for 48GB RAM (bought new)
$250 PSU (bought new)
$200 raid Card (used)
$300 2 x SSD hard drives in raid zero for system drive (new)
I am using my old HDD's from the Mac Pro for data drive

Case: well a very decent case could be had for $220 but I opted for an expensive case.

I am currently using Windows 7 but may switch to Windows 8 once it is released.

Next, the Xeon's can be overclocked on SR-2 to probably beyond 4GHz, if speed is important to you. OC is something you can't get on Mac. The system is currently being cooled by air but, I am contemplating on utilizing a liquid cooling system. However, I understand it adds another $700 or so to the costs.

The whole system should cost $5000-$6000 (if all parts were bought new) and is probably as good as or even better than a $10000-$14000 system one might buy from big names.

So if you don't need big name's after sale support and you are on budget, you can simply buy the parts yourself and build it yourself or, ask a local computer shop to assemble it for you.

Now my question is having Quadro useful? For Adobe Premium Production suite, the only advantage I see it might have is support for 10bit color assuming you have a 10bit monitor to take advantage of it. Since I don't currently have such an expensive monitor, I am better served with a Geforce card than a quadro. A cheap GTX 480 has twice more cuda cores than Quadro 4000. So are there other advantages to a Quadro card that I am missing?

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, Ramin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]