Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Adam SpencerCan't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 12:20:46 pm

I've installed a trial version of CS6, and I can't open any of my CS5.5 projects.

It just comes up with an error message:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."

Does that mean CS5.5 projects are completely incompatible with CS6?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 1:08:15 pm

My first guess is that a trial of 6 may not let you access all the codecs available (due to licensing issues).

It does seem odd if CS5.5 is installed on the same machine, but not totally unexpected...

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:10:44 pm

[Adam Spencer] "I've installed a trial version of CS6, and I can't open any of my CS5.5 projects."

The trial has not yet been officially released, so asking for support may be a bit premature.

[Adam Spencer] "It just comes up with an error message: "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type." Does that mean CS5.5 projects are completely incompatible with CS6?"

Not at all. My guess from the error message is that you were using a third-party sequence setting based on AJA, BMD, or CineForm settings. You may need to reinstall the appropriate software when it supports CS6.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel StartekRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 3:12:08 pm

It's probably an installed codec issue with the leaked CS6 version. I can open SD DV projects in PP6 but not HD ProRez projects. All the presets are missing also. Won't stop me from legally upgrading when it is released.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam SpencerRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 10:16:13 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with codecs. I would've thought the error message would say something about codecs.

Anyway, half of the projects I tried to open are slideshows - there's no video in them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 3, 2012 at 10:32:08 pm

Was the previous sequence ties to a specific type of hardware?

AJA, Black Magic, Matrox?

If so open in prev PPro...

copy and paste sequence contents into equivalent Adobe Sequecne....

Thanks to the new Adobe transmit architecture....those special seqeunce types are obsolete and may no longer be supported...

you might save AS the project and delete the old problematic seq's in this safety project copy.

let us know....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adrian AllenRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 4, 2012 at 2:14:47 am

I'm having the same problem. I tried importing cs5, it gives me the wheel and gives the same error..... Samething...

Adrian Allen
steadyimage.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adrian AllenRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on May 4, 2012 at 12:33:54 pm

Hi Adam, I figured it out. To fix the issues of the project not importing. Do the following.

Click in Project Window

File>Import

Select the project file. It will then ask to import entire project or individual sequences.

Select Individual sequences. and Choose the SEQ you want.

Premiere will then pull in all the elements and the Sequence into a folder. double click the sequence and it opens up.

Repeat this proces until all your sequences, and content are back the way it was....Until they fix this bug.

I hope this helps

Adrian Allen
Steadyimage.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris BorjisNo problems opening here...
by on May 4, 2012 at 4:11:59 pm

I'm not experiencing this at all.

I've opened black-magic cs 5.5 projects
as well as CS 4 projects in the CS 6 demo no problem.

They were prores and uncompressed sequences.

also, a friend of mine was able to open cs 5.5
projects in CS 4. I thought that was pretty cool.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark KellyRe: No problems opening here...
by on May 31, 2012 at 9:17:19 pm

I have teh same problem.
The project opens / converts / imports correctly and is playable & editable.
But once the project is closed & reopened the error "This project contains a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preset preview file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."
The project contains Canon 5D Mk11 footage.
Anyone got a solution?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrieRe: No problems opening here...
by on May 31, 2012 at 11:59:23 pm

This problem has popped up with some systems that were using the trial and then activated afterward. There appears to be some kind of 30 day expiry that restricts the codecs.

Start new project.
Go to Help and Deactivate.
Quit the App.
Launch PPro and complet the activate process again.

If it works - Spread the word.

- JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark KellyRe: No problems opening here...
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:52:53 am

I got around the problem by exporting the project as an edl from 5.5 then setting a new project with the correct settings & importing the edl then relinking the media.
Pain in the A-hole, but works (except for key-framed audio)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

joda gordonRe: No problems opening here...
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:07:37 am

I was able to fix this issue. Uninstalled PP. Reinstalled.

INSTALLED 6.1 UPDATE FROM ADOBE.
INSTALL "PremierePro_6_Content_LS7" (BONUS CONTENT/FEATURES).

After this, it worked right away. Files that previously wouldn't open would now open, and sequence previews were available in the additional formats.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oscar NievaRe: No problems opening here...
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 7:45:43 am

I have already tried it. I don't know if it's a problem with the installation. I don't even have sequences, the project gets corrupted when I try to marge a video an an audio file. After doing so I save the file an when I try to open it again it sais:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"

I don't know what to do, I need to deliver soon and I need to know if someone has a solution or if I should downgrade or change software solutions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paulo AugustoRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:21:37 pm

The main problem happens due the lack of the MPEG codec in CS6. In my case i just open my projects on CS5 and exported/imported an xml file. Well i have to put all my CS6 plugins again later, but it was better than redo all my work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fire JosephRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:12:51 pm

Yes you can open CS5.5 projects in CS6. I had the sequence preset problem and it was a simple DV NTSC project. I solved it by simply creating a new project and importing the 'can't open' project and was able to continue editing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam SpencerRe: Can't open Premiere CS5.5 projects in CS6?
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:36:17 pm

I tried that, but all I got was one long clip containing my video. I could play it back on the timeline, but all the individual clips and edits were missing. It was just one long clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]