Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

2 Graphics Cards

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gerry Curtis2 Graphics Cards
by on May 1, 2012 at 1:06:28 am

Hi There,

I'm a running Premiere 5.5.2 on my 2010 Mac Pro with 2 graphics cards, an ATI 5770 connected to my display and second card with NVIDIA Quadro 4000. I was told by a supervisor at Adobe support a while ago that Premiere didn't support this type of configuration, that I should take the ATI card out and just use the NVIDIA card, but I ignored this because other apps run better with the 2 card setup.

I want to revisit this to make sure I have the proper config when CS6 arrives. Is there an official answer to setups with multiple cards and/or is anyone running a similar setup is running their display off a different card then the Cuda card.

Thanks!

Gerry

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com
Color Reel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: 2 Graphics Cards
by on May 5, 2012 at 5:28:20 am

There is no change in this area for Premiere Pro CS6.

There is one configuration in which multiple graphics cards helps Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) and CS6: Maximus. See this page for details of the Maximus configuration:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/11/adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-5...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gerry CurtisRe: 2 Graphics Cards
by on May 5, 2012 at 7:30:47 pm

Thanks Todd,

What I want to know is if I should be connecting my display into the Quadro Card, or is OK to connect to the ATI card, and if my setup is responsible for some of the instability I'm experiencing.

Thanks!

Gerry

Color Reel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Filippo GiovanniniRe: 2 Graphics Cards
by on May 8, 2012 at 3:50:26 pm

Hi Jerry,
I'd like to set up my mac pro as you did with yours, since I'd like to have the ideal configuration for Da Vinci Resolve, which happens to be the one you're using (do you Da Vinci as well?), but I'd also like to continue using Premiere Pro (which works better with Nvidia) and a bit of Final Cut Pro X as well (which works better with ATI). The Big Question is: does Premiere work well or does it really suffer due to the two cards put together?

Right now I have a Nvidia GeForce 8800 (to which are connected two monitors) and a QUADRO 4000 for GPU processing. Works great with Premiere, sucks with Final Cut X.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Filippo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gerry CurtisRe: 2 Graphics Cards
by on May 8, 2012 at 7:00:56 pm

Hi Filippo,

I can't tell you what the official configuration for 2 cards is supposed to be with Premiere, but I'm a Resolve user as well and decided to keep both cards in with the ATI in slot 1 and NVIDIA in slot 2. Lot's of instability in Premiere 5.5.2, for myself relative to FCP, and it's never clear what's causing it but testing without the ATI card didn't seem to help. I'm hoping things stabilize with the arrival of CS6 and am eager awaiting the shipment notification from Adobe. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gerry

Color Reel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Filippo GiovanniniRe: 2 Graphics Cards
by on May 9, 2012 at 10:10:09 pm

Thank you!
So apparently it's not the card which bothers Premiere. I really don't know what to do.. Final Cut Pro X stutters a lot with the Nvidia, on the other hand I actually use Premiere a lot more and I wouldn't want to risk it (but I'd also like to start using DaVinci properly).

Thanks again for your helpfulness.

Filippo

P.S.
Sorry for having misspelled your name! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]