Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Trevor SchrodtAdobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:33:29 pm

We're thinking about doing the switch from FCP 7 to CS6. Does anyone know if the Quadro 6000 will be supported for Mac's in the future or just the 4000? What are your thoughts about the Quadro 4000?

Trevor

MacPro OS 10.6.8
6-Core Intel Xeon 2.93 GHz 24GB RAM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jules bowmanRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:06:34 pm

I'm curious about mac cards needed for cs6 so I'm posting this to subscribe to the thread. I have a 2011 mac pro (will add full specs when I'm back at the machine)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BorjisRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:50:59 pm

The quadro 4000 & 6000 are both supported.

I believe the 6000 would outperform the 4000.

I have the 4000 on CS 5.5 and it is quite powerful.

I would have bought the 6000 only it costs much much more.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:56:11 am

The Premiere Pro CS6 system requirements are already on the Adobe website:
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

There's a list of graphics cards that provide the CUDA/OpenCL GPU acceleration toward the bottom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor SchrodtRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:52:24 pm

So the Quadro 6000 will not be supported in the future? Why is that? Also, why are so many cards only supported for WIndows? Is the new GeForce GTX 690 supported on Mac and would getting two make things super fast or be just plain dumb and useless?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm in a new position and actually get to pick the hardware/software my company uses.

Trevor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 4:03:32 pm

[Trevor Schrodt] "So the Quadro 6000 will not be supported in the future? Why is that? Also, why are so many cards only supported for WIndows?"

That's up to NVIDIA and Apple to work out. I can't blame Adobe for not supporting cards that the manufacturers themselves won't support.

The Quadro 4000 is the only current card NVIDIA is officially shipping for the Mac.

[Trevor Schrodt] "Is the new GeForce GTX 690 supported on Mac and would getting two make things super fast or be just plain dumb and useless? "

Bit of a gray area here. From what I understand, the latest version of Lion has unofficial driver support for the Fermi-based GTX cards. That said, the GTX 690 (Kepler) card is not listed on Adobe's supported cards list, so I'd stay away from it for now.

If you want a supported configuration, stick with a GTX 285, Quadro FX 4800, or Quadro 4000 on the Mac.

If you want to try running an unsupported configuration, you could try installing a GTX 580. The folks on the Resolve forums seem to be big fans of MacVidCards.

Alternately, you could run your Adobe apps on a PC so you can get support for all the cards that Apple/NVIDIA won't support on Mac. I am running both Macs and PCs here seamlessly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David PirinelliRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on May 1, 2012 at 7:41:56 am

Hi, I run MacVidCards.

The Quadro 6000 has been supported in the drivers since somewhere back in 10.6.

That said, only 4 GB shows up for CUDA, 2 GB in System Profiler, and OpenCL so far is only place all 6 GB show up.

I have heard that all 6 GBs will eventually show up everywhere but.....

We have GTX470s and GTX480s that work in 10.6.8 and we just added GTX570 and GTX580 for 10.7.3.

The GTX570 2.5 GB card is turning out to be a real powerhouse for Adobe apps. In the Resolve forum and at MacRumours forums there have been posts about how well that specific card works for CS6. Apparently they are supported from the get go, no hacks needed. One guy compared performance to his Quadro 4000. Didn't go well for the Quadro.

Our cards offer full boot screen support from first press of power button and can drive an Apple LED as well as a 30" via DVI. The 570 with 2.5 GB is going to be "the" card to have for the near future.

We have the Quadro 5000 and 6000 for Mac, and they are currently DisplayPort and DVI as well, though I could probably set them up to run 2 @ Apple Displays if there was interest.

But for most people, the GTX570 with 2.5GB is hard to beat.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 2:40:01 pm

Ok thank you for the response and more info. We would be updating the OS when we get CS6. What about the 680 I saw nVidia's website, would that be even better? Is it supported from the get-go? Will Autodesk Smoke 2013 take advantage of this card like CS6?
What's the difference between PNY and nVidia brand cards? Is it like comparing a Ford and a Lincoln?

and i think that's the end of my questioning for now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd YonteckRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:00:04 am

I have the GTX690 running in a Cubix expansion chassis with good success. The GTX690 failed as a primary GUI/GPU in Slot 1 of a 2008 MacPro. Conflicted with Apple Raid card.

GTX690 runs well with DaVinci Resolve. The card is seen by resolve as two GPUs as expected, plus the separate GUI shows up as well. With CS6, I enable the hacks for GPU text files and both Premiere and After Effects recognize the GTX690 and mercury playback is working well. I haven't had any increase in CS6 program or system crashes with the hack. I can't tell if both GPUs of the GTX690 are being used. But reading posts, it looks like Adobe only supports one GPU. Resolve/Mac OSX will support up to 3 GPUs and 1 GUI. I had been considering PCs for awhile after taking into account you can fill a Cubix expansion chassis with multiple GPUs and far exceed the limit of 3 on Macs.

As a an aside...I have maxed out my capability with the 2008 MacPro at this point. Not interested in buying a 12 core Mac when 16 core PCs are out there. Praying Apple comes through with a new MacPro next year, otherwise it is bye bye...Hello HP Z820...

TY

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew CotterRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on May 4, 2012 at 8:28:28 pm

So... Im hoping you guys can clear something up for me... Currently speccing a system to go with CS6...

Is more CUDA Cores important? What would be the top of the line setup I could get? 4 GTX 690 cards SLI'd together OR the Quadro 6000.

Sorry, making the jump from MAC to PC for purely rendering Mercury Engine reasons... And I'm clueless on the PC side...

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David PirinelliRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on May 7, 2012 at 10:11:21 am

The Quadro cards only have an edge in software that uses Double Precision

Until someone points me at some, I don't know if there is any for Macs.

So, the GTX cards will almost always outperform a Quadro 4000.

The 6000 is the only one of the family with real grunt behind it. And it is somewhere between a GTX470 and GTX480.

So for most Mac users, a GTX570 just became the best option. If you are running 10.7.3, a GTX570 2.5 GB will outperform a Quadro 6000 for most things.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 4:21:27 pm

First of all, thank you everyone for your opinions it's helped a lot.
Is it an issue that the GTX 580 is not on Adobe's list of supported cards for Macs? Or would i need to do a hack to make it work?

Supported Graphics Cards from Adobe's website.

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro 2000 (Windows)
Quadro 2000D (Windows)
Quadro 2000M (Windows)
Quadro 3000M (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 4000M (Windows)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro 5010M (Windows)
Quadro 6000 (Windows)
Quadro CX (Windows)
Tesla C2075** (Windows)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

thomas moserRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:30:19 pm

Hi,

On my PC I suceeded enablin CUDA by jus adding "GeForce 9800 GT" in raytracer_supported_cards.txt in the adobe folder. Unfortunately not in Premiere. Adding my card in cuda_supported_cards.txt didnt help.
I started CMD, went in the adobe folder started the gpusniffer.exe
The last paragraph said that my 9800GT does not hold enough memory (only 512), but i suppose it works with any GPU that supports CUDA ( http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gpus )and has enough memory (in Premiere at least 1GB I guess)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dara YemRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:38:43 am

I don't think SLI's is supported..last time I talk to Adobe rep CS 5.5 only support 1 GPU for Mercury Engine. I might be wrong maybe they do in CS6. I a have Mac Pro 3.1 and been using 1 EVGA GTX285 (this is the original Mac Edition) and pretty happy with it when I run CS6 and Resolve. I can't complain i got it of Ebay for $150 and also I can play games on this card. I heard the Quadro isn't really build for gaming. But if u got the budget why not Quad6000 and a Telsa card for the CUDA and Maximus Technology for CS6?

cheers!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:00:31 pm

> I don't think SLI's is supported..last time I talk to Adobe rep CS 5.5 only support 1 GPU for Mercury Engine.

That is correct. Premiere Pro will not use multiple GPUs for CUDA or OpenCL processing. (After Effects CS6 will for the GPU acceleration of the ry-traced 3D renderer.)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dara YemRe: Adobe CS6, MacPro, and Nvidia Quadro 6000
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:42:40 am

If u going to PC..you should check out HP Z820..that one beast and it certified by Adobe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]