Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Allan MacKenzieOutput to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:43:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been using premiere pro for several years on a PC windows based operating system and has not been a problem when supplying footage for broadcast and others over the years. However I have discovered a flaw in my business, Getty Images has just signed me on to supply aerial stock footage and require all the files to be outputted to Apple ProRes 422. (But I'm a PC guy): I did ask Getty surely I'm not the only pro creative contributor in the world on PC? or am I? I just grew up and built my video production on PC based operating systems and never had an issue with the creative, quality and productivity outcomes until now, my cliental base has been very happy with the work produced.

My question is, is there anyway I can output to 422 without racing out and buying an Apple right now? or is that the only solution if I'm going to continue to supply footage for broadcast on a professional basis giving the rise of the 422 codec over the past couple of years?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Petros KolyvasRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:11:55 am

I don't believe there's any ability to export to ProRes on PC short of that PC being built to run OS X.

If you have to "go Apple," an old, used, intel mac ($cheap) with Snow Leopard and purchasing Compressor from the app stop ($49) could suffice depending on how much footage you have an how quickly (or slowly) you need it converted (but I do mean slowly in some cases.)

Then there's the possibility you already use or have access to a recording device that supports ProRes and you just play-out to it? This probably isn't ideal, but it could work.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Allan MacKenzieRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06:37 am

Thanks Petros,

I appreciate the feedback seems like the most logical solution in the interim. We are due for computer equipment upgrade in the middle of next year, so we are seriously considering swapping out to Mac hardware or at least introducing one Mac pro system.

Cheers
Allan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dirk DeJongheRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:25:01 pm

I have succesfully used ffmpeg on a Linux system to render Quicktime Prores files. There is also a ffmpeg version for Windows that would do the job, but it would be strictly command line. There is even a forum right here on Creative Cow to support ffmpeg.

ffmpeg is open source and works very well once you have mastered the command line.

http://www.postproduction.be

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 7:08:40 am

As Petros says, there's no encoder for ProRes for Windows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 2, 2012 at 7:19:01 am

Thanks Todd! it's interesting, surely I'm not the only pro that prefers using PC window based operating systems that encounters this issue? or am I truly an island, unique, lol :) I'm guessing the solutions are folks in my position are using the two operating systems in their workflows or editing suites to service the ProRes422 client base.

It would be interesting to hear from others in my position that have came across this issue and what they did to work around?

Kind regards
Allan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:56:54 pm

[Allan MacKenzie] "it's interesting, surely I'm not the only pro that prefers using PC window based operating systems that encounters this issue? or am I truly an island, unique, lol :)"

I don't think you're alone here, my company/team is PC based too. But we've never run into a situation where a file based deliverable can only be created on one platform. We've been asked for ProRes files before, but when we tell vendors that we can't create it, we've been able to agree on a suitable substitute (DnXHD, Blackmagic, Uncompressed, DVCProHD, etc.). Not sure why Getty can only work with ProRes... that seems strange.

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Gabriel SanchezRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:03:35 am

This article could be useful:
http://www.telestream.net/company/press/2011-03-31.htm

What they donĀ“t say is if this prores codec will be available or integrated INTO Adobe Media Encoder coding options, but if not i think footage could be exported to a non compressed fortmat and then converted to ProRes with any of the applications of Telestream, Episode Encoder or FlipFactory.

Regards

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tapio HaajaRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 12:46:57 pm

Yes if you've Telestream's Flipfactory or Episode Engine you can convert to Prores with PC... But neither Flipfactory or Episode Engine isn't meant to be used on desktops. Those are programs that should run on servers and their target market are broadcast stations and other large facilities and licenses start from 5000$.

So I also recommend buying cheap Mac and Compressor.

P.S. If you want to experiment ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.org/) says they've included Prores encoder last fall. So if you're ready to go to unknown territory and experiment maybe you should try ffmpeg.

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:13:51 pm

Thanks Tapio, I appreciate the recommendation, it makes logical sense as the get out of jail card!!

Cheers
Allan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:28:54 pm

Hi Allan,

The Atomos Ninja offers a realtime capture to ProRes solution. You would need an HDMI output from Premiere, meaning a Black Magic Intensity or Matrox MXO2 I/O device for instance.

Ninja records direct to ProRes LT, 422, and HQ codecs via HDMI input, using an inexpensive 2.5" laptop hard drive.

The only issue you might have is if the files must be delivered with an exact amount of header or something, because you'd be manually starting/stopping the recorder unit. I suppose the recipient of the files could tighten things up on their end perhaps.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom DaigonRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:02:27 pm

Its a little ironic you are contemplating a switch to Mac. These days old FCP users are switching to PCs in droves due to a general perception that Apple has abandoned the Pro market. I am part of that group.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:38:34 pm

quick google yelded this:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269583-5DtoRGB-now-does-ProRes-enc...

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:32:26 pm

Fair dinkium mates :) thanks for all the links and suggestions. Yes it is ironic I may consider introducing Mac or transition to Mac in our business? I've been such a PC evangelist and an Adobe man :) for so long and resisted peer pressure from the industry to change over the years. That said I don't think I'll become a full blown switcher just yet, just introduce a very basic setup as suggested here so I can get off the 422 codec to keep some clients happy that insist on it. Oh and this codec DNxHD is beautiful, it's a shame Getty aren't more flexible, but I will say broadcast seems to be getting more fussy about their codecs. While we get away with DNxHD the 422 keeps popping up as a request but it's the first time I've encountered an insistence, a must have or it's noting. I just hope this is not a growing trend in the marketplace?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry TsangarisRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:50:52 am

Hi Allan I may have a solution for you.

1) Select quicktime.
2) Select custom.
3) The one that definitely works with FCP 7 is H.264 I have not been able to test 8 or 10 bit uncompressed YUV.
4) Make sure you select the right aspect ratio here,and tick the Maximum quality box.
5) By viewing the source or output you can see,if your output is letter-boxed in anyway go to num-4 and correct aspect ratio.

Another way to check output settings is under summary and corrections can be made Basic settings so match your resolution to the source.

Allan I hope this helps you.

Terry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:01:57 pm

Thanks heaps Terry, I'll give it a try.

Cheers
Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:11:28 pm

Thanks Jeff, I have been eyeing that little puppy off for a while. It will be on my shopping cart going forward.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carl KadieRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:17:35 pm

Several film festivals have asked my son Ben for his Vegas-edited film in ProRes 422 format. We figured out how to do it right the the editor and I made this YouTube tutorial showing the rendering step. I think the same steps would work for Premiere, but I haven't tested it. (If you do, please send me an email.)

Full instructions: http://slugco.com/meta/ProResOnWindows

- Carl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Kubo YoshiharuRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:31:12 am

wow,.thanks Carl,.just exactly what i need. I need to make an output to ProRes to my client :(

i have a hard time here,.i'm a freelancer and PC guy. But the rest of the my country is very Mac centric,..for crying out loud they even transcode SD to ProRes!
A bunch of misinformation in my country.

Adobe should make a Seminar Here ! Seriously.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:01:18 pm

I've just checked back here and a big thanks to Carl, Wow. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel Ruiz VargasRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:05:18 pm

Hi I convert it everithing with ffmpeg command line and it was very easy I download the windows instal and use this commad line

ffmpeg -i C:ffmpegbincreditosIniciales.mov -vcodec prores C:fmpegbinCreditosInicialesApple.mov

where the first file is the imput and the second file is the output
Hope this helps :D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul GaleRe: Output to ProRes422 using Premiere Pro CS5 on a PC
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:10:30 pm

Old post but just seen this:

http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html

Maybe that will work? Don't know if there are any limitations working with Premiere Pro or AE though. Have emailed to ask...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]