Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erik MickelsonWindows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:26:18 pm

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/adobe-premiere-propremiere-element...

Anyone have more info on this?

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB ram, SLeopard 10.6.8, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Petros KolyvasRe: Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:15:24 pm

This article, on Intel's site, is referring to their own hardware-accelerated H.264 export, not h.264 export in general.

Premiere can, of course, export H.264 on Mac. In this case it would be using the MainConcept encoder (the H.264 format option in AME/Export) and not the Intel encoder mentioned in the link you provided.

You can add a Matrox CompressHD card if you want hardware-accelerated H.264 compression on a Mac (or any of their MAX-enabled products).

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik MickelsonRe: Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:40:19 pm

Sorry Petros, the article is actually about support for HARDWARE ACCELERATED h.264 output directly from Premiere Pro on Windows only.

The plug in is a free "hook" into the closed Adobe API. Adobe have not implemented it into the Mac OS X version of their hardware. Hmmph...

If you read the article it explains that the plug in would do better except for the fact that Adobe has a closed API- "Since this is a plug-in there are inherent performance limitations (imposed by the Adobe plug-in API) that cannot be eliminated unless natively integrated with the product."

FWIW

Oh, Matrox??? Your kidding right? Never again with Matrox....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:58:07 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "Sorry Petros, the article is actually about support for HARDWARE ACCELERATED h.264 output directly from Premiere Pro on Windows only. The plug in is a free "hook" into the closed Adobe API. Adobe have not implemented it into the Mac OS X version of their hardware. Hmmph..."

One of Intel's technical requirements for the Media SDK / Quick Sync technology is Windows 7. It is not that Adobe hasn't implemented the feature on Mac OS X; it's that the feature itself doesn't exist on Mac OS X.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:03:43 pm

So it's an Apple thing?
Not really, it's both Apple and Adobe. The code is in i5 and i7 chips already, Adobe could directly access the chip at it's base level, just sayin'.

More reading on Quick Sync:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-26...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:32:25 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "So it's an Apple thing? Not really, it's both Apple and Adobe. The code is in i5 and i7 chips already, Adobe could directly access the chip at it's base level, just sayin'."

No, it's an Intel thing. Their Media SDK (the software development kit that lets an application developer use the feature) is only available from Intel for Windows.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-media-software-development-k...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:03:55 pm

Jeebus! That's from 2 years ago...

We still have no support for this on mac. Oh, forgive me, a new iPad just came out:)

Any comments on the less than stellar review of Cuda h.264 encoding vs Quick Sync h.264?

Just found this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-20...

The article describes that Apple IS using Quick Sync but only in Facetime. So...is it an an Apple thing or an Adobe thing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:20:26 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "That's from 2 years ago... We still have no support for this on mac. Oh, forgive me, a new iPad just came out:)"

It seems there hasn't been a lot of interest in Quick Sync for Mac. Of course, I can't really say I've seen a ton of interest in Quick Sync for the PC.

Squeeze offers GPU-accelerated H.264 renders.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Matrox's H.264 accelerator in a Mac Pro. Very nice quality, very short encodes. I was less interested in Matrox video I/O, so I used a CompressHD alongside an AJA Kona (and later a BMD DeckLink Extreme 3D+) with no trouble whatsoever.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BorjisRe: Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:43:08 pm

I prefer any kind of CUDA enabled encoder since I don't
have to buy an additional piece of hardware to accelerate it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:02:17 pm

Well, there is "Native" h.264 accelerated encoding on ALL newer i5, i7 chips. It's there just not opened for us by Apple/Adobe. The speed increase is nothing short of phenomenal by ANY Cuda card. The quality would be great for project updates. I would, however, resort to a slower/better encode for final delivery if quality was not up to par. The speed from Quick Sync would be a game changer for quick client approval.

I may have to check out a new 3930k windows 7 box. Hmmm, GTX card for Cuda and Quick Sync for quicky h.264.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57:30 pm

Skip the 3930k chip or any Sandy Bridge e chip. Intel have taken off the video portion of the chip that allows Quick Sync! Well, I wonder why they would do that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BorjisRe: Windows has h.264 render support, not Mac?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:26:04 am

CUDA is a fun subject.

I have an h.264 CUDA and Intel optimized encoder for creating Android compatible videos.

It does a 2-pass encode of a 45 minute show in 30 minutes...no image loss issues.

Amazing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]