Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Video Card Options?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Phil ListerVideo Card Options?
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 3:08:26 am

I'm using this video card:

EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I'd like to know, if I was to connect a TV monitor with an HDMI input, using the HDMI out on the video card, would I see the video that I'm editing right out of Premiere Pro CS4?

The card has two DVI outs, a VGA out, and 1 HDMI out. My computer monitor uses one of the DVI outs from the card, leaving the HDMI output free.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew SonnenfeldRe: Video Card Options?
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 3:21:03 pm

What you've described is not a "Video Card," rather it is your Graphics Card. This is more to handle the graphics processing of your system and run your monitors. Of course in the case of Premiere Pro and many other GPU supported applications, these cards can in some cases accelerate playback. But they are not going to output your video signal in the way you are describing.

Unfortunately Premiere Pro, or any other NLE for that matter (with the exception of FCP7 - Kind of), will not output your video to an external monitor through your computer's graphics card. FCP7 kind of could but you would be risking broadcast color/standards and frame accuracy so it was an unreliable setup.

To properly monitor your footage, you will need a proper Video Capture Card. The most inexpensive option would be the Matrox MXO2 mini but as someone who recently owned the MXO2LE w/ MAX (MAX is H.264 hardware encoding - a nice little feature but not everyone needs it for the extra cost), I can tell you that the MXO2 drivers for Premiere are just unusable quite frankly. Matrox supposedly will have new drivers very soon that are currently in Beta that are supposed to work very well. But for me, this may be the writing on the wall, i.e.; how long will people be waiting for usable CS6 drivers in 2 months?

Less than a week ago I switched to the new AJA IoXT. It is only Thunderbolt and if you have that, it is the best option from an economical standpoint in my opinion. There is a small bug that I've run into but it is a brand new product and it realistically doesn't effect my work. But honestly, I suspect that the bug is my fault and there is just a setting that I've got wrong somewhere.

I digress...

Ultimately, the bottom line is that you need a real Video card that can ingest and output your footage. AJA is a really wonderful company and they respond to things much better than their competitors and their products always seem to just work in a way that others don't. As Tom Daigon said on this forum a few weeks back, "AJA, AJA, AJA. They understand video."

The IoXT is a very powerful little box. If you don't need all that it offers, or you don't have Thunderbolt and are trying to stay in a lower price point, look to the AJA Io Express.

Hope this helps!
Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5, Final Cut Pro Studio 3, Avid Media Composer 3.5.4
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 12, 2012 at 4:36:00 pm

Just a quick revision as I did not notice that you are running CS4...

The IoXT that I recommended only has drivers for CS5.5. The Io Express and MXO2 mini will work with Adobe CS4 and you can still find drivers for either one.

In the interest of being forward thinking at this time, I would still recommend the AJA as I have more confidence in their updates and performance.

That being said, the Matrox has some nice features with their HDMI color calibration utilities and available MAX acceleration. If you are doing a lot of H.264 conversions, it may be worth looking into but it is $400.00 extra for that version. You may run into driver issues in the future though if Matrox doesn't up their game with support.

Panasonic HPX170 P
AJA IoXT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil ListerRe: Video Card Options?
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 4:46:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I simply can't afford what you're talking about. I looked it up and saw it was over 3 grand? Wow...you must be rich! lol What about the Black Magic something or another? The only way to see what I'm editing, is pay over 3K for a device? Too rich for my blood. I live in Melbourne, FL where video production is next to nothing! The economy sucks the most down here! I had to move here, since I'm my Mom's caregiver.

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:13:57 pm

Hang on, none of those should be even close to 3 grand! Where are you looking? You may have some reporting to the BBB if that's the case.

The MXO2 mini MAX at VideoGuys.com is $849.00 and the regular version is $449.00

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Matrox+MXO2+Mini+Desktop+Kit+with+MAX+Technol...

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Matrox+MXO2+Mini+Desktop+Kit+with+PCIe+Card/4...

The AJA Io Express is $995.00

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/AJA+ioEXPRESS+Desktop+Kit+with+PCIe+Adapter/5...

VideoGuys is a very reputable dealer. You will see their adds all over the Cow if you look at the side panels as well, and they have a 5% Creative Cow discount so that's always a treat. I can also say from personal experience that they are a joy to do business with. They are a family run business and they know what they are doing.

Also, it is worth noting that both the AJA Io Express and anything in the MXO2 line are available with either a PCIe card for desktops or an ExpressCard 34 adapter for laptops so you really have a lot of flexibility in terms of your system. Both options are the same price.

If you do wind up getting a Thunderbolt equipped Mac, both of these products can go to that too. Matrox makes their own Thunderbolt adapter for the MXO2 line that runs at $200.00 stand alone, and the Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt adapter for $150.00 adapts any ExpressCard 34 to Thunderbolt.

Check those out here:

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Matrox+Thunderbolt+Adapter+for+MXO2+Family/05...

http://sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

Sorry for the confusion! I hope this cleared things up.

- Matt

Panasonic HPX170 P
AJA IoXT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:27:34 pm

Blackmagic-Design is definitely something you could look into as well. Unfortunately I don't know as much about them as I don't have the same personal experience. The nice thing about them is that they do have a lot of options at very competitive prices. I had heard a few things that they required a lot of rendering depending on your format. But if you're ever looking to do color grading in DaVinci Resolve, that is what you'll need (from what I understand).

Pros and Cons... You need to decide what will work best for your workflow. All of these options will be cross platform, Mac or PC, and will work with either PP, FCP, or AMC. Gives you some nice options.

Moral of the story is that for less than a thousand, you can get what you need to do what you want, but you need to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide what works best for you and your business. It's an investment for sure but hopefully you will see the return in the quality of your product and that will lead to more clients.

Panasonic HPX170 P
AJA IoXT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jimmy BrungerRe: Video Card Options?
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:37:23 am

Hi Phil,

The Blackmagic cards are great - I've used them for the last 8yrs and generally if you keep upto date with the latest software updates and compatibility with Adobe/Quicktime versions then you'll be a very happy bunny. As Matthew said, there's lots of options and I think a couple of HDMI only ones if that's all you need.

I'm running a BMD Decklink HD Extreme 3D+, which has all the bells and whistles you'd ever need and I'm outputting simultaneously to an SD CRT grading monitor via component, and HDMI to a HD Plasma, with several options to ingest/playout to variety of HD/SD decks.

Another thing to bear in mind (If you can afford the upgrade) is going to CS5.5 and looking to purchase a CUDA/Mercury Engine compatible GFX card. If you're on a PC then you have quite a few options (if on mac then it starts at the Quadro FX4000)....but you will save literally HOURS of time spent rendering; instead just zip around your timeline and adding tonnes of effects without so much as a preview render.

Good luck! Oh and big hello to sunny Melbourne - got a couple of mates living out there who are loving it, so it can't be all bad!

Jim.

-------------------------------
Production Premium CS5.5 - Mocha v1.5
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.6.8
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]