Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David DiNennaOne video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 1:20:28 pm

I have a video that I'm working on in Premiere. My client needs the final video to run on all devices and platforms... so it needs to play on not only PC and Mac, but also Android, iPad, iPod... etc.

I'd like to stream the video and run it off the native player for devices and the mp4/H.263 format works fine on Android and Apple devices. The problem is it doesn't run on PC/Windows Media Player. Is there a format that can run on everything? I'd like to avoid embedding it in a player within an HTML page but if this is the only solution than please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John YoungRe: One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:03:45 pm

[David DiNenna] " Is there a format that can run on everything?"

There is a simple answer to that question. No, there is not.

I think the way to think of this is not to find the one video format that works on everything, but to find a way to a deliver the appropriate format that will work on whatever device is playing it.

If you are talking about remote delivery or "streaming", I am pretty sure there is no way to accomplish what you want without embedding into a html page.

The way that we have accomplished something that I think is very close to getting "" the final video to run on all devices and platforms" is by using a html5 video player. We ended up using MediaElement.js (http://mediaelementjs.com/) This player will play the video with H.264 for devices that can handle H.264, it plays the video with Flash for devices that can handle Flash, and it plays the video with Silverlight for devices that can handle Silverlight.

At this point, I am discovering that this step of delivery is more web programming than video production. But we should start learning this stuff, because this is where content delivery is going.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David DiNennaRe: One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:15:20 pm

John, thanks so much for sharing insight... this confirms my thoughts with the HTML5 player too so I'm even more comfortable now to offer that as a solution to my client.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve BrameRe: One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:39:44 pm

"Standards?? We don't need no stinking standards!"

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Joseph W. BourkeRe: One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 5:08:15 pm

David -

One thing to bear in mind is that currently html5 (as of May 2011) is only on 40 percent of the market is penetrated by html5 compatible browsers.

Flash still has 99 percent of the browser capability (minus, of course the Apple devices which don't allow Flash).

Here's a good article on just this issue:

http://now.periscopic.com/2011/05/our-research-into-flash-and-html5-which-o...

So it's not quite so simple as looking at how it will be displayed - that can indeed be done for any platform (with multiple codecs). The key is to decide which platforms are most likely to be used by your (or your client's) target audience.

I currently create video productions for a client whose main target is other industries (a business-to-business marketing approach), and I encode and deliver in Flash, Quicktime, and H.264, for the web and portable devices (iTouch phone, iPad, Blackberry, etc.). This covers everyone my client is currently looking to reach. They want businesses coming to their website from a Mac or PC to be able to play back their videos, and for their sales team and managers to carry these productions with them on their phones and portable tablets.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2011 at 5:12:02 pm

John, I'm looking at the website you posted and this seems to be a great solution. Do I have to encode all the different video formats and load them in the server directory in order for their "Option B" to work correctly... I'm assuming I do but it didn't see anywhere on the site that mentioned this.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:25:15 pm

[David DiNenna] "Do I have to encode all the different video formats and load them in the server directory in order for their "Option B" to work correctly... I'm assuming I do but it didn't see anywhere on the site that mentioned this."

We only do H.264 right now. Which I think it will work on all browsers currently (either natively or in Flash, [as long as the have Flash 9 or higher, which has a 90% market reach]). But Google Chrome and Internet Explorer have both announced their intentions to not support H.264 in the future.

We may need to go to multiple versions of each video on our servers in the future. But, as far as the user goes it should be seamless and all done behind the scenes.

Here is how we are using the HTML 5 player right now. http://beta.prosoco.net/ There are embedded videos on the front page and then videos in "lightbox" in the Multimedia Library.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:32:42 pm

how did you encode your video. I have a mp4 container with h.263 codec but I'm getting a "Sorry can't play video" message on my Droid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:09:18 pm

H.264 not H.263

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:08:02 am

It's working on everything but FF.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the .htaccess correctly but FF wants to play a .ogv format. I encoded my video to that format but it's still not working. Did you say that you didn't need to upload a .ogv format for yours to work in FF?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:22:59 pm

Yeah. That is what I mean when I say it gets "more web programming than video production" at that point. We only do H.264 at this point. I believe Chrome should play the H.264 file, but that may depend on your version of Chrome.
If done correctly, if Chrome does not play the H.264 file, it should fallback to Flash and play through Flash.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry TsangarisRe: One video format that plays on all devices and platforms?
by on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:05:37 am

Hi David
From My experience I would upload the video clip to YouTube,go to export media choose H.264 then select a Preset for YouTube HD or SD,Wide or 4:3 ratio render and upload,Files are large put are close to original.
You can go into custom to reduce file size it's up to you.
The reason I like YouTube is one Upload and YT takes care of play back and streaming issues,bellow is what I have Uploaded.

Google HoofsUpLottery to see Video

Hope this Helps

Terry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]