Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter CorbettCS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:45:41 pm

I'm seeing not very complete fades to and from black on CS5.5; say when a title is over-layed. At the first first frame (or last) of the dissolve, the image abruptly cuts out. There is not a smooth transition to zero or 100% opacity. Has anyone else seen this. I have AJA and Blackmagic systems and it's evident on both.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 4:41:47 pm

Have not seen your problem. Have you tried the film dissolve? Maybe you'll get a smoother transition with that.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter CorbettRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:20:54 pm

Thanks Kevin, as I advance frame by frame on a dissolve between black and a clip (or in reverse) the image abruptly cuts out near the end of the faded instead of continuing to fade away to zero opacity. It's like it needs another frame or two of image at a lower opacity before it fases completely.

I'm using the standard dissolve drag-and-drop transition or the opacity handles. I get the same result either way. What is the "film dissolve"?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pentti KakkoriRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:49:18 pm

Do you have Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration on?
Toggle Mercury Playback Engine Software Only before rendering, it should help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter CorbettRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:21:51 pm

[Pentti Kakkori] "Do you have Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration on?
Toggle Mercury Playback Engine Software Only before rendering, it should help."

Thanks Pentti, I do have GPU assista on for my FX4800 card. I'll try that.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:32:03 pm

> What is the "film dissolve"?

The Film Dissolve transition is new in Premiere Pro CS5.5. It’s a dissolve transition that blends in a linear color space (gamma = 1.0). In simple terms, that means that it blends in a more realistic way; basically, dissolves look the way that they should.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john eddyRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:29:36 pm

I had this same problem. I turned off the GPU assist. It did fix the problem. Is there a down side? Will performance be compromised?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam SpencerRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:36:00 pm

I also have this problem. It's been happening ever since either CS5.5 or using hardware acceleration (I upgraded both around the same time).

Cross Dissolve is not as smooth as it used to be, and Film Dissolve doesn't make much of a difference. As a previous post mentioned, It's like there's a couple frames missing and the clip won't fade to 0% opacity. The image disappears before it's fully faded.

For some clips, I have manually had to fade the clip's opacity in order to generate a smooth fade.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard AngleRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:05:28 am

Bumping this thread. It is Summer of 2013 and cs6 and I am pulling my hair out with this exact issue.

I had a sequence that was fine a week ago for the export of the approval file. The exact same project/timeline now has somehow screwed up the nice linear transitions of last weeks project. Here's the kicker... Grap a problematic clip and slide it out to the right into virgin timeline space. Voila. Fixed. Slide it back to it original position, back to square one. Unfortunately, I think the answer involves disabling my CUDA card for final renders. Which is a big reason I got the card in the first place! Faster renders.

Any advice any of you can offer?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam SpencerRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:42:01 am

I am STILL having this problem. It still happens in CS6. Really aggravates me because I have to manually fade every single clip that I want to dissolve. It doesn't matter whether I use hardware or software rendering, I get the same result. In fact, 50% of the time hardware rendering crashes on me so I usually have to resort to software.
I use 25fps most of the time, I wonder if there's a difference with 29.97.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:05:37 pm

I am absolutely livid on the issue and am baffled as to why more editors are not up in arms over this nonsense! I want my money back from Adobe and I want them to reimburse me for my CUDA card that I just bought to beter handle the .mts AVCHD files that Adobe said Premiere would handle. Utter trash and I am very disappointed with Adobe. This software simply should not be on the shelves at its current price. Buggier than a big box of ants in my opinion.

I just spent hours exporting three music videos that should have taken me fifteen minutes. I bought a Cuda card partially to speed up exports. Unfortunately, the trade off for fast renders is lousy dissolves and font fades! Hmmm... Export for 20 minutes and be done with the project? No! Can't do that! Your dissolves and text fades will look like Micky Rourke's face. So I choose to do the right thing and disable hardware acceleration. Utterly ridiculous and I want my money back!

And forget about getting in touch with anyone who cares at Adobe!

Richard Angle - The grumpy editor

I just want things to work like they used to back in the good old FCP days.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Will EcclestonRe: CS5.5 Clips Not Fading to/from Smoothly
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 2:51:30 am

Same horrible problem, on CS6 Mac here. Hope it's fixed in CC.

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:41:04 pm

Many claim that it not a bug at all. Rather a normal way in which GPU Acceleration deals with the dissolve. What? This is normal? Might be normal to some, but certainly unacceptable to me. I'm trying to do professional work here and Adobe simply doesn't allow it to be done with the use of a CUDA card. So I turn off GPU and render in software mode for all final renders as well as approval files. Turns a ten minute render into an hour long render.

And to Will.... You hope CC handles it better? I am of the opinion that every single Adobe Premiere cs6 customer gets a free upgrade to CC. Adobe will get NO MORE of my money. This I assure you.

Also, on a side note, someone mentioned seeing the issue in software mode. In my experience, this happened when checking "Render at Maximun Quality" Who in their right mind wouldn't be rendering at the highest quality for final master!

This whole thing just sickens me and Adobe should be stepping up to the plate!

Richard Angle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]