Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Suggestions on getting started with external hard drive boxes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tony ConnolySuggestions on getting started with external hard drive boxes
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:00:52 pm

Somehow, I've made it this far without an external hard drive box. I need more storage, and my PC only accomodates three internal drives so I will have to take the plunge. I currently have about 1.3 TB of RAW data.

I've looked at the Burlys. To me, they're expensive, but it looks like they will last a while, maybe through a couple of generations of computers.

Are there any direct competitors to the Burlys for a lower price?

I'm thinking of starting with a two-drive box. That way, I can run RAID 0 in the box, and have my cache drive and OS drive internal to the PC. I would use off-the shelf external drives for backups. I don't see the point of a larger enclosure unless speed was a major concern, which for me it is not.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: Suggestions on getting started with external hard drive boxes
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:45:26 pm

Stardom SohoRAID SR2 2-bay box: choice of RAID0 or 1, well designed and well made, low noise, health monitoring. $100 for eSATA/USB2.0 and $160 for quad-interface (including FW800).

Personally, I like the design way better than Burly's.

http://stardom-usa.com/product_detail.php?p_id=26

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony ConnolyRe: Suggestions on getting started with external hard drive boxes
by on Jun 11, 2011 at 11:56:35 pm

Alex-

MacGurus makes a big deal out of using a "Port Multiplier". I couldn't find out whether the SohoRAID uses that. Would you happen to know?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: Suggestions on getting started with external hard drive boxes
by on Jun 12, 2011 at 8:46:35 pm

I don't believe so - I would check with Jon on Stardom forum. Usually port multiplied eSATA is required for "dumb" multi-bay boxes that have no RAID brain. SohoRAID on the other hand does have a built-in RAID controller.

http://forums.creativecow.net/stardom

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]