Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

.mov files not working on a PC CS4?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tyle Renake.mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 16, 2011 at 9:54:48 pm

Hey,

Im just curious whether its the setup of my PC or whatnot. Anyhow, when I try to import .mov files into PPro CS4 and edit with them,
the playback is terrible and my system will eventually (if not within seconds) freeze.

I know .mov files are supported, but is this problem common for other people? I just end up trans coding the files to a different format in Media Encoder, but its just a pain not to be able to edit these files natively.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

martin pickettRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 3:52:03 pm

I always assumed .mov files were the same no matter what but if I get them from my friend who output them using Final Cut Pro, they won't import into my Premiere Pro. I don't know why.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ann BensRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 8:28:52 pm

If its H.264 in a mov wrapper CS4 can't handle them properly.
This was fixed in CS5.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tyle RenakeRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 8:35:07 pm

Perhaps thats what it was. I dont completly understand .mov files, so they can be more than one format? (aka .mpeg or .h264) Is it any quicktime format that becomes .mov then?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JohnsonRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 9:27:22 pm

MOV (just like AVI) is a wrapper that contain any one of literally hundreds of video codecs in combination with any one of literally many dozens (at least) of audio codecs. So, whether a file has the MOV (or AVI) extension is not particularly important ... what is very important is which codecs the MOV (or AVI) was encoded with. If a file contains codecs that are not on your computer, your computer will not be able to play the file ... period.

Video formats and codecs is not a simple subject that one can just stumble through ... at least not without wasting tons of time and experiencing lots of avoidable headaches. So, to get more detailed answers to solve your current issue, perhaps search these forums for words like "codecs" and "wrapper" and you will find very many posts with useful info (including many answers to this exact same question). Even better, if you plan to work with video more than once, it will serve you well going forward to do a little homework on the subject ... perhaps search the web for such terms and find one of the many good resources that explain the basics of video formats and codecs. Best of luck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tyle RenakeRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 10:06:07 pm

Awesome, good to know. I'll do a ton more research on this. Guess i've just scratched the surface. Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: .mov files not working on a PC CS4?
by on May 17, 2011 at 11:07:37 pm

The other thing is that that you must make sure that QuickTime is installed. It's not automatically installed in all PCs. Hope you checked that.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS