Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

CS5.5 Graphics Card choices

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard MilnerCS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:10:14 pm

With the release of 5.5, there are more choices for graphics cards with mercury acceleration.

the question-- What will give better performance in premiere and after effects? Just looking at 2 specs---

the GeoForce GTX 580 with 512 Cuda cores and 1.58 GB of memory?

Or the the Quadro 4000 with 256 Cuda cores a 2 GB of memory?

Price point seems to be Q4000 $780 GTX580 $489.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Alex GeroulaitisRe: CS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:05:15 pm

Purely a guess based on past discussions on the subject: the faster memory bandwidth and extra CUDA cores make GTX 580 faster than Quadro 4000 in GPU acceleration.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: CS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:32:15 pm

A CUDA card is more of a consideration for Premiere Pro CS5 and newer. With After Effects, the amount of RAM and processor speed is more important.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:01:55 pm

I've been intensely watching GPU acceleration discussions on FCP and DaVinci forums; Adobe's Todd Kopriva also kindly chimed in.

GTX 580 is the current top dog and best value for GPU acceleration in Premiere CS5.5: most cores, fastest memory bandwidth compared to any other NVidia card. The fact that it has less VRAM than Quadro 4000 (or higher) may be important in some extreme high-res workflow, e.g. a sequence of 30MP DPX stills; for that, you'd want a card with more than 2GB VRAM. However a 4K still is still an 8MP still (funny how that works :p), i.e. a GTX 580 is more than enough to accelerate a 4K workflow.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: CS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:50:45 am

The other set of considerations center around your system's ecosystem...what kind of a team player do you have...

The RAM is DDR5 in all the cards in the discussion...even the GTX590, which is the newest and baddest card at the moment with its insane memory bandwidth of 327 GB per second, has DDR5 RAM, but it has 3GB split between the twin GPUs.

The GTX580 and 590 are double-wides. You need one slot to install them, but you'll lose two...the Quadro 4000 is a single width card. Maybe not a big deal with one CUDA card, but I have two (four displays) so two double-wides blows away four slots for me...

The Quadro 4000 has a max power consumption of 142 Watts...

The GTX580 is rated at 244 Watts, and the 590 has a max draw specification of 365 Watts! At more than 2.5X the power draw of a Quadro 4000, you're using 70% of an 1100 Watt power supply to run two 590s at full steam in SLI mode before you factor in the rest of the computer...

The power is there, and it's great, but keep in mind that there is a reason why the heat radiators on some of these display cards look like they came out of a race car...they draw power and produce heat.

If you live in a cold climate, you could position the machine next to a cold air return and probably save yourself some heating costs.

So...lots of relative differences and considerations involved and what motherboard you have, workstation cabinet you plan to use, what other peripherals will require slots, and how quiet the area where the workstation is running needs to be if you plan on strictly conventional air-cooling.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 24, 2011 at 5:36:35 pm

Tim,

Will 590 be any faster than a 580 for Pr purposes? My understanding was that 590 is dual 580; Pr can't use two GPUs for GPU accel; thus, no point in a 590? Is there logic in that?

If there is, then is 580 a better recommendations purely for Pr purposes than a Q4000, provided the system is compatible of course? (Please note two qualifiers: "purely for Pr purposes" and "compatible")

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:28:14 pm

Hi Alex...

Quite right that the 590 is 2 580s and PPro will utilize "half" the card...I just verified it with Adobe.

I got going on the power consumption thing and got carried away...I use AE and Photoshop enough that I tend to think with some duality...and the ability to drive more display heads with one card is appealing as well.

I tend to think of VRAM and regular RAM like L1 and L2/3 cache...a little more L1 often gives more boost that substantial L3...

I don't really know how they'd compare in a test as the rest of the cards aren't really equivalent either and it would be difficult to isolate this one spec enough to compare.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

mathew lisettRe: CS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 2:49:44 am

ok so if for the reason that it wont use both gpu's, will it still use all the 1024 cudas?

and is there a reason why adobe are not alowing the access to the dual gpu.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: CS5.5 Graphics Card choices
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:14:29 am

[mathew lisett] "ok so if for the reason that it wont use both gpu's, will it still use all the 1024 cudas?

and is there a reason why adobe are not alowing the access to the dual gpu."

I am pretty sure Adobe will only use the primary GPU, i.e. it will only 512 cores on the GTX590.

I am also pretty sure that the mostly realtime nature of Adobe GPU acceleration (e.g. "gotta push frames out at 29.97 fps and no less") imposes serious challenges on the code's ability to work on multiple GPUs. It's just a guess though.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 9, 2011 at 4:05:34 pm

Yes, I suspect that Alex pegged it.

Utilizing one CUDA GPU card enables the CUDA computations to be distributed through the cores via CUDA's protocols...but if you were to use 2 CUDA cards, you'd need to set up some "multi-threading" function upstream from the cards...as well as the "merging" function downstream from the two streams of post-CUDA processing.

I've been trying to urge plug-in manufacturers to create a GPU capability to bypass the primary GPU card and look for the secondary as a setting that CS5.x users can set so the switching between traditional GPU capability and CUDA functions doesn't need to happen on the primary GPU...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy